Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just bought a 2000 JD 6910 that i am gonna tidy up and i have a few issues, there is a knocking noise coming from the front axle and i think it may be the bushes on the main pin that holds the front axle on.

Has anyone on here had a similar problem or even had to change the bushes themselves, if so was it a big job?

I am in UK.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Registered
I'm not familiar with the newer ag tractors, but I'll bet that someone will be by with an answer or some suggestions.

Welcome from Pennsylvania.

Registered
I have never done that exact model but have repaired bad pivots on 5 and seven series. Don't recall them making the noise you describe. How are the driveshaft joints and the ones by the spindles. Drop the diff oil. Hope you find no scrap iron.

Registered
If it knocks when you go over big bumps or make turns which could cause the axle to want to shift that is possible. I would not have used knocks to describe that however look at the rear pivot. You may have to clean it up to see but a worn pivot will be very apparent. When they go to far the housing is supposed to be replaced. That is cast piece of the axle housing. It includes the center section and the axle housing to one side. The other axle housing bolts to the center section. Yes that is a big expensive job. I have repaired some but that still required removing the axle assembly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
If it knocks when you go over big bumps or make turns which could cause the axle to want to shift that is possible. I would not have used knocks to describe that however look at the rear pivot. You may have to clean it up to see but a worn pivot will be very apparent. When they go to far the housing is supposed to be replaced. That is cast piece of the axle housing. It includes the center section and the axle housing to one side. The other axle housing bolts to the center section. Yes that is a big expensive job. I have repaired some but that still required removing the axle assembly.
Thanks will take a look when I get home. Working in Germany at the moment and won't be home for a month but all info is a bonus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts