Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a leak in the seal there th axle comes out of the housing on my 70. for some reason i cant get jdparts.com to open. any of you guys know how to go about changing that seal? do i have to remove th wheel center to do it? thanks for any info

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
model 70 axle screen shot.jpg

JDParts showed a PDF file that I had to download for the 70.

Just remove the outer felt seal retainer and replace the felt seal. You may need to replace the seal retainer. And yes, the wheel does have to be removed.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you need help on the how to's of getting the wheel center off, there's a thread on here where I was asking for help with the rear wheels on a 70. A member on here knew how hard it can be and offered great advice. I didn't have time to make a puller and forgot to order a manual. If the thread doesn't have enough info, just send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The actual seal that prevents oil from leaking out of the differential is located inside the tractor. The bull gear has to be removed and you have to take off the rear housing to access it. The outer felt seal is just a dust seal to keep dirt out of the outer bearing which is lubricated by removing the axle plug. If the inner seal is bad, the axle housing will be loaded up with differential oil which eventually migrates through the outer felt dust seal and the oil inside the axle will have to be removed at the time you replace the inner seal or it'll keep leaking out the dust seal until it is all gone. So, just make sure you're spending hard work getting to the real problem. Replacing the outer felt seal may not fix it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts