Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am looking at possibly buying a 70 d but the pony motor does not run....:hide:.. How much should I estimate to fix it? (I have no idea whats wrong with it) paint is rough . what is it worth? thanks:good2:

·
Administrator
20,302 Posts
Pony motors are very expensive to fix. Period. The parts are getting very hard to acquire.

Perhaps convert it over to electric start? That could be an option. It’s a lot more convenient and parts are fairly easy to come by.

Do you know what’s wrong with the pony? I’d prefer a pony myself. It’s just super cool and you don’t see them all the time.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
There are advertisers in Green Magazine and I presume other collector magazines who sell parts and rebuilt pony motors. They also advertise electric start conversions.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Our neighbor had a 70 with a pony motor,, the pony would not run,,,
so,,,
he hauled in some dirt, and ALWAYS parked the 70 at the top of the mound,,

He would "catch it in gear" rolling down the mound,, it ALWAYS started,,,

The tractor used so little fuel,, it could idle through lunch,, and burn what? a pint of fuel,,,

WAY cheaper than fixing it,,

In the half dozen years I ran an 820,, I do not remember EVER stalling the engine,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know whats wrong with it. It is on auction time. It has power steering and hyd. What is a 70 d worth? I would probably try to resell it unless i liked it too well1

·
Registered
55 Posts
E.J.H.

You can get a rebuilt cranking engine for $2000, you can start there as far as cost. The max I will pay(have paid) for a 70D is $3500 that is straight and runs well (farm fresh). I will not even look at one that is not original or obviously been messed with. I currently own three of them and know of collectors that have dozens. You gotta love them, they will not make you rich.

N8VcYKr%ROedjowQt04vkQ.jpg

t1MZdEEDReulcLYO3%Ns+w.jpg

FRDs9E4nQDK8nKKqzxCu%w.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok that is great to know! I should have mentioned I did find a complete running pony for 1000 shipped.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what is a running 70 diesel with faded sheetmetal worth? assuming the pony works.

·
Administrator
20,302 Posts
You can buy a nice 70D around here from about $3500-5000 depending on condition, tires, pony or electric. They don’t hit the market often and they don’t typically move very fast either.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ive got that one on my watch list too haha, but im not gonna compete with you, i already have a couple and i am not driving that far.

That said, a couple things, humbly speaking.

It just says it doesnt run, not that it needs rebuilt, huge difference, i would bet a dollar if you change the points and condenser it would probably run. My guess is someone started it up and forgot to turn the ignition off and burned up the points etc. Once you replace them, install an oil pressure switch/cutout relay, so when you forget to turn it off it wont burn up the electrical. That is the same point in time in which you WANT to get the red jewel ON light working hahahah

Part 2, yes, pony motor full rebuilds can be expensive, but just jumping in blind will cost you more, so it pays to open it up and actually see what you have going in. I personally like HandJmachining.com

If you get that one for 1000 bucks delivered a couple things i would suggest, one of the reasons pony motors die is because they run very short periods of time at 5500 rpm, those little buggers scream for a minute, then get shut down. Every once in while, leave your diesel fuel shutoff - off, and engage the pony with the tractor in gear and work that little engine. Let it get up to operating temperature for awhile, the other thing is play with the linkage a bit and let it be more than idle and wide open. Its all relative to extending the life of those things. They get a bad wrap, but i think thats mainly due to people not really understanding that you can modify stuff to extend life.

Ill be askin if ya got it bought! i have a 70 diesel standard and a 70 diesel r/c, i dont need another one haha

You can also install a big truck 12v starter, i cant remember which one it is, ill try to dig up the numbers again, but you can build the bracket, its not a bad way to go as long as you dont make it look all butchered, but i kinda like the ol ponys, they are just funny to me i guess. I wouldnt spend the 1800-2000 that some people are asking for the "upgrade" kit

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I didnt say you couldnt have it:hi: I called the fellow and he said he did not hardly mess with it. So since you know whitch one it is.... what is it worth as is?

The only "2 bangers I have messed with are a current 40 current 420, a past M and B. so I have no experience with a diesel

·
Registered
222 Posts
its a 1955. i dont like that they didnt show the rubber on the clutch side. i am guessing that photo 6 is that, but its got live power, pto, so i see some positives on it. it doesnt have the 801 3pt hitch on it, but thats not a game changer. but it is an auction and i would have a hard time going much past around 16 or 17 hundred. The say its not locked up, so thats a plus. I know folks get hung on tires, but at the end of day, you can always find 15.5x38's around. and trust me, i am NOT driving to Ill or OH for a dang 70, there are plenty around me.

I have the operators and service manual as well as the parts manual on pfd so if you need let me know.

I did ALMOST buy a 6030 out around your direction a couple weeks ago, but i passed on it, it wasnt a 74 model.

you gonna let us know if you get it? cause i can find you one around me....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well you must understand I am only 17 and just want it to play with and or maybe sell. I have always been facinated with 2 bangers (especially diesels) But yes i will let you know. I would like to go look at it before i bid on it. Its only an hour away.

·
Registered
222 Posts
they are all alot of fun. i see where it is up to now, i would spend the hour driving over to take a look. i think it may be tough to make any money on, but since your 17, this could be a great one to learn on because they are a different animal. i think best case you break even on it which is still a win when you figure what all you learn from it. i wish 90% of my lessons were that cheap HA!

let me know cause i have the manuals you need,

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I did, A little more than I wanted to pay but It looks solid. He replaced the junk rim on the back and all he did to the pony was turn it over!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes I did, A little more than I wanted to pay but It looks solid. He replaced the junk rim on the back and all he did to the pony was turn it over!:bigthumb:
thats outstanding! i dont think you got hurt at all on that tractor. to be honest, i would have a hard time cutting it loose. you wont find another one that cheap and that close to, send me an email and ill shoot you over the books i have, they are all on searchable pdf.

i wont do it tonight because i have a serious appointment with a 2 wheel drive pullin pickup we are building and its parked right next to the beer, so....tomorrow maybe hahah

seriously, congrats! if you have any issues speak up, im sure these guys around here can help and we can always find parts etc etc....

·
Administrator
17,128 Posts
So when do WE get to see it? :dunno:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok:flag_of_truce:Ok:flag_of_truce: I dont have it yet. I will try to get some pics of it when I get it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got it back, dumped gas in the pony and it fired up and ran! I will post pics monday!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts