Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to start by saying I love the JD 71 planter but getting it to work with everything has been a challenge to me. The 12 cell plate and the plate number is B27436 and you have to use the false ring Y2630B or the H1346B floor plate. I can find the larger plates new, but they are $50 each and I cannot find the floor plates. I am thinking about trying to make my own plates from blanks, but I do not have time this year.

I have over 1200 seeds to plant and I do not feel like bending over for all of these seeds. So my thought is to remove the seed bin from the planter and have someone walk next to the planter and drop the seeds though the seed tube every 2 to 3 feet. Seems simple and safe. Anyone ever done this or have any thoughts on it? I cannot see it hurting the planter.......

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Are you saying someone has to walk along next to the planter for a half mile dropping 1200 seeds in? :laugh:
You need one of those old-time potato planter setups where the one person rides the planter and drops the seed potato in every foot or so (only 2-3' in your case).

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya. Last night I was trying to come up with an easy square-ish funnel. While walking by it and dropping seeds does not sound fun, neither does planting them all by hand.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: We took off the seed canisters and put a funnel in the seed tube and planted 1,200 pumpkin seeds. I was able to do .8 to 1 mile per hour while my wife dropped in the seed. We have 1,000 more seeds on order so we will do it again in a week or two.

This worked great and I plan to keep working this way in the future.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You have a very understanding wife. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I hope now three years later you have put a seat on for her!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 71 flex and before that I had a two row 290 planter and never had much luck planting any type of flat seed such as sunflower, pumpkin or squash seeds. Seeds seem to have a hard time dropping into the cells and when they did I would often get 2-3 seed drop because the seeds would stack on top of each other. Corn and beans the thing works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts