Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I'm changing all the filters on my recently purchased jd970. I picked up all the filters, oil, fuel, and hydraulic from the local jd dealer. When I changed the fuel filter by the injector pump, I noticed another fuel filter similar but a little smaller on the outlet of the fuel tank.It doesn't show up in my parts manual. Any one ever experience this to. I don't know what to order other than take it off and go match it up at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
Can you post a photo of the filter in question?

Reactions: kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,811 Posts
By chance, is it this?

#1 shows as being the fuel filter, #25 as the water separator.

NormalAppImage(1)-2.png

NormalAppImage(1).png

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you post a photo of the filter in question?
Can't post a photo till next wednesday. But the fuel filter is on the engine by the fuel injector pump. The other is in the back right where the fuel comes out the tank and is a little smaller

·
Super Moderator
2,811 Posts
Was it an inline filter like this? These are common on many tractors/small engines.
AM116304-Media-JD300Wx300H.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,811 Posts
Then what about #25, the water separator in the picture I posted above. It looks like the fuel filter assy and appears to also have a shut off.

Reactions: SRG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then what about #25, the water separator in the picture I posted above. It looks like the fuel filter assy and appears to also have a shut off.
It looks like the water seperator , I have the same parts manual. It's mounted in the back on the fuel tank. My fuel tank parts manual don't show one there

·
Registered
988 Posts
There's a water separator "bowl" with a filter inside, immediately off the fuel tank in the rear. Change that one too, it's probably needing it.
#25 in the screenshot Kylew posted above, is another water separator, with a filter in it as well.

970's are sweet machines. Can't wait to see pics.:bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
2,811 Posts
I got that picture from the parts catalog. Unfortunately it isn't very clear as to where it is mounted.

The breakdown does show that the separator has a screen in it. Part number T111005, $12.45. Item #41.

Here's the link to the page I'm finding it on.

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Super Moderator
2,811 Posts
There's a water separator "bowl" with a filter inside, immediately off the fuel tank in the rear. Change that one too, it's probably needing it.
#25 in the screenshot Kylew posted above, is another water separator, with a filter in it as well.

970's are sweet machines. Can't wait to see pics.:bigthumb:
Is the one in my picture the one he's after? Or is there a third? I haven't found any but those 2.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
I got that picture from the parts catalog. Unfortunately it isn't very clear as to where it is mounted.

The breakdown does show that the separator has a screen in it. Part number T111005, $12.45. Item #41.

Here's the link to the page I'm finding it on.

John Deere Parts Catalog
Is this what the "filter" looks like on your 970?

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
The filter at the back under the fuel tank is the water separator/prefilter. The filter element in the bowl is a washable metal screen. If in good shape you can wash it with solvent, blow it out and reuse it. It is the one in the parts diagram above. #25 The washable screen element inside is #41.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The filter at the back under the fuel tank is the water separator/prefilter. The filter element in the bowl is a washable metal screen. If in good shape you can wash it with solvent, blow it out and reuse it. It is the one in the parts diagram above. #25 The washable screen element inside is #41.
Yes. That is correct, my mistake. I was thinking like my old Kubota where the filter and water separator were under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Herp derp. long day today!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks jd110, That's the one. Now I know I can take it off and clean it out. My John Deere dealer is about 45 miles away, so I only go if necessary. You saved me a trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts