Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe one of you guys can help I have a John Deere 990 that while idling the other day stalled. I've looked at a lot of different things that could possibly be the problem like the fuel, the fuel pump but I'm kind of settling on this being a fuel solenoid issue when I disconnect the solenoid and check the female plug it's getting 12 volts I bought a brand new solenoid from John Deere and put it on still won't start. There is no audible click when I turn the motor on none of the fuses are blown the fuel lines aren't clogged there's fuel getting to the pump when I disconnect the pump line and turn over the motor fuels coming out if I spray ether into the intake it will run and will run as long as I'm continually spraying ether soon as I stop it stalls again. The only thing I can think of some sort of electrical problem with the solenoid any ideas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So if I take the fuel solenoid completely off and turn the motor on it actually runs and then I pushed the little button that the solenoid would normally push and it turns off but it's a brand new solenoid and it's getting power

·
Registered
1986 Deere 330, 2003 Deere 4210
453 Posts
Are you reading 12V across the solenoid while it is plugged in?

Open circuit voltage does not always equal functional voltage. If there is a high inline resistance, you will still read 12V when no current is flowing but it will drop to nothing when a load is applied.

I would also ohm out both the new and old coil, as well as bench test them, to see if they are working.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am not sure if the 990 has a thermistor behind the fuse box but if that is bad it will cause starting issues with your hold-in fuel solenoid. It's a very common problem with the 4x10 series tractors which were built around the same time as the 990's so it might be something worth checking into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.