Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 1946 A I'm trying to get the cam out of. The guy who owned it before me was running a cordwood saw when he said it just shut off. I'm not sure what happened but the bolts that bolt to the cam gear all broke so the cam wasn't turning. I've been following the I&T manual but it's not very specific. I removed the left side cam bearing according to the manual but it seems I dont have enough room to get the gear off the cam as the peice it bolts into is hitting the crankcase casting. What side is the cam supposed to come out of and what am I doing wrong? If anyone's done this job before your insight is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the cam is like part #1 in engine assembly. The gear is supposed to be a press fit, at least on the later models. Major engine dissaembly is required to get the cam out and in. IIRC the crank must be removed so it can come out the top or through a crank bearing hole.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hopefully the escaping bolts didn't do any damage on their way out!

Get yourself a real John Deere manual. Those IT manuals are to generic to be of much use.

Another great source of information about old tractors are old farmers. There's bound to be someone in your area who has done a few war-era Model A restorations; swap meets and tractor shows are great places to find them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts