Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 52 model a to try to restore.... sheet metal is great and runs perfect, only problem is the left side of the trans don't work! reverse 1 and 3 I think is what is on that side, anyway, the previous owner said its a simple fix, something about 2 shafts in there and one of them, the bearing was out, I cant find any info online about it, havnt had time to find a IT manual, I welcome all replies about it..... Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
:wgtt:

Is it a 4 speed or 6?

If it's a 6 speed, check out the Grandpa John thread in the restoration forum. I've rebuilt the trans in my 60 which is the later replacement to the A. There's a video and lots of pictures. (I did mess up the gear numbering in my video, but you'll get the idea.)

Once we get some more details from you, we can help further. :good2:

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Did you check out the video and pictures? Your trans is almost identical. Most parts are interchangeable between the two. I have some parts if you need some.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409968168.688736.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409968222.399975.jpg

You'll need to remove the shifter tower to look inside the trans. Removing the shifter forks allows even more room to inspect. If you need to replace a bearing, you'll need to remove these parts anyway.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Clayton, here's the video I made of my model 60 transmission. It's very much identical to yours. I hope it helps you.

I did get numbering of the gears wrong, but the idea is correct.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Once again I have got to commend Dieselshadow for always being so helpful and informative for all of us on GTT. I always learn so much from your experience because you are so willing to share it with us. You are the man!:good2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That video is very good starting point for me, I actually found it on youtube a couple days ago also...... Thanks for all the info, once I get started, I will post my progress!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Never hurts to tear it apart and look for any bad bearings. Split the rear end off and pull the diff out and then continue forward. The diff has a trick to get it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts