Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I wanted to let you know that we have begun to get into the aftermarket parts business a little bit. While this will continue to grow, it will never replace our OEM Deere parts business. When it comes to servicing your equipment, I'll always stand by the fact that OEM parts are the best bet. But, a couple of things have prompted us to get into this market.

First of all, competition. There are many aftermarket alternatives available not only from aftermarket companies like Stens, but also directly from sellers outside of the USA like China, Russia, etc. In order to help capture some of that business that we may be losing to those sellers, we have to remain competitive and offer an aftermarket or white label product. While most folks prefer OEM parts, lets face it, there are just as many people looking for a deal to save money, or bandaid their tractor back together.

What we WON'T DO is try to get an aftermarket part for every SKU. First of all, we can't. We carry over 550,000 parts. Secondly, we are VERY strict about what we choose to carry in the aftermarket world. We scrutinize dozens of samples and often just have the parts made ourselves to make sure they are the quality that we and our customers demand.

Another factor is pricing. We are looking at several wear parts for lawn tractors that have some age on them. One example is the GX20053 steering gear. The Deere list price is $37.86 on that part, and since so many are sold every month, we thought that would be a great part that our customers would see value in so we had them made and offer the same thing in aftermarket for $8.99.
Same part.

Don't kill the messenger here! I'm not looking to get into a debate about OEM vs aftermarket or free trade or the problem with our country.............. I am just letting you know (as many of you have emailed us asking) that we are beginning to offer aftermarket parts for Deere and other brands and will continue to do so if the market conditions exist. You can take a look at what we are offering (with more on the way) here:

Deere aftermarket parts: John Deere Aftermarket and Obsolete Parts

All brands aftermarket parts: Aftermarket Parts and Obsolete John Deere Parts

The aftermarket parts carry a one year warranty.

We are now carrying a large line of obsolete and discontinued parts from Vintage parts. Your dealer can get these parts (while they last) from Vintage, but most of them don't want to mess with them honestly. We've carried them for years and unfortunately, they do have a premium as they are scarce and special order parts. We have those listed in the aftermarket category as well and they will state if they are special order.

·
Administrator
20,879 Posts
In my opinion, this makes you an even better asset. It gives your customer a choice. A choice that's been researched and backed up by great folks. Thanks for telling us this!

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Green Farm Parts--do u or have u ever used a company i believe to be called by my local JD dealer to be API. they sold me the clutch disc's for my jd model 50, around 10 yrs ago. just wondering if u might use them also, or if u ever have heard of them?

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
Having choices is always a good thing.

I was kind of surprised lately when my Ford service department offered me OEM or aftermarket parts for a repair. I guess this is a trend - and good for GFP on keeping up with the times.

·
Vendor
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Green Farm Parts--do u or have u ever used a company i believe to be called by my local JD dealer to be API. they sold me the clutch disc's for my jd model 50, around 10 yrs ago. just wondering if u might use them also, or if u ever have heard of them?
Can't say that we have. In 2017 we will likely be adding the A&I parts catalog to our site. These are parts sold to dealers by Deere and they are aftermarket (formerly called "All Makes, All Models") parts for your equipment.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I'm glad to hear you are looking at good quality aftermarket parts and not just cheap junk. It's good to know the parts are checked and researched.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Makes sense to me.....Choice is good....:bigthumb:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Vendor
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would love it if you carried Frontier parts. I recently bought several parts for my RC2048.
That is something we are also considering, but often those parts take longer to get (if not in stock) than 2 days. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Will country of origin be available to buyers?

·
Vendor
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will country of origin be available to buyers?
I doubt it, but we may look into that. As it is with the 550,000+ JD OEM parts, we don't list country of origin as Deere doesn't always provide it. I will tell you that Deere has OEM parts made literally ALL over the world including (but not limited to) USA, Germany, Australia, France, China, India, etc, etc

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
When you say the example steering part you used, you ordered and now stock. Is this presumably steel part made of the same alloy, hardened to the same specs as oem? I understand it may not be but some repairs may be involved enough to skip the risk if these aftermarket parts are inferior (mechanical property wise).
I guess what I am asking is if a guy buys a part such as this for the significant savings is he getting a significant reduction in performance and life? I'm a touch leery about installing a reverse engineered part from overseas that is not subject to critical inspection and used in a safety related application such as steering. I'm sorry for the attitude but I make parts for oem's for a living every detail of our processes and materials must be proven and verified.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
When you say the example steering part you used, you ordered and now stock. Is this presumably steel part made of the same alloy, hardened to the same specs as oem? I understand it may not be but some repairs may be involved enough to skip the risk if these aftermarket parts are inferior (mechanical property wise).
I guess what I am asking is if a guy buys a part such as this for the significant savings is he getting a significant reduction in performance and life? I'm a touch leery about installing a reverse engineered part from overseas that is not subject to critical inspection and used in a safety related application such as steering. I'm sorry for the attitude but I make parts for oem's for a living every detail of our processes and materials must be proven and verified.
Jeff B.--I am anixious to see what and how long my Agri-Suppy tines last and do-compared to the wood's tines my JD Dealer sold to me for my frontier rake. they both say made in Italy. but the price difference is way out of site. frontier(woods tine) cost per tine$ 17 something--Agri-supply--$3.99. both have the same heat treatment #'s, so i am trying to wrap my head around why such a price difference? time will tell, if the cheaper one starts to lose it's reflexes sooner.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Can't say that we have. In 2017 we will likely be adding the A&I parts catalog to our site. These are parts sold to dealers by Deere and they are aftermarket (formerly called "All Makes, All Models") parts for your equipment.
thanks for answering me. next time i talk to the parts counter manger at my local dealer, i will ask him what the name was for sure. I do remember him saying they was from the mid-west back then. He saved me quite a bit of money using them, instead of JD. i had over $600 in replacing all the disc's in the pto, if i would of went with JD parts, it would of been $1,000, and that was 10 yrs ago.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I doubt it, but we may look into that. As it is with the 550,000+ JD OEM parts, we don't list country of origin as Deere doesn't always provide it. I will tell you that Deere has OEM parts made literally ALL over the world including (but not limited to) USA, Germany, Australia, France, China, India, etc, etc
This is true. Some dealerships are already using "OEM Aftermarket" replacements.
Case in point: When replacing spindles on my GT235 mower deck, the replacement parts at the dealer had stamped on them "Made in China". :banghead:

·
Vendor
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts