Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a limit to the amount of weight that a JD ballast box will support?

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
I have never seen a limit stated. I know they recommend Portland cement for max weight, but beyond that I don't know.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
Must be a lot cause they sell the extender for use with the base unit.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies.

I currently have about 500 lbs of cast iron weight inside the box & eight 70 lb suite case weights that I hang on the sides of the box as needed.
I have access to five 100lb suit case weights if needed, that I can put inside the box. If I used all of the weights, the total weight of the box would be around 1600lbs.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
Yes sir, that is a lot of weight.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
That is a lot... I bet you'll be back heavy with all that on... My flail is just shy of 2000lbs, and I actually use a round bale or a cube of water on the loader as front ballast when I'm mowing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnH123

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I normally keep the box at about 1000lbs. I have a lot of lumber to move later. I will need some extra weight on the back for that.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
1000 sounds good... Be really careful with that lumber lift.... She'll be tippy left and right no matter how balanced you are front to back....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I normally keep the box at about 1000lbs. I have a lot of lumber to move later. I will need some extra weight on the back for that.
I don't think that there is need to go over 1000lbs normally. That's what I use, and I can't lift the rears anymore. If you have something really heavy to lift, it's not going to hurt to put 1600lbs back there temporarily.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm running 850 or so on mine and I still lifted a rear tire pulling trees out of the ground. It did take a lot though. I was sure surprised that the 300 loader could do it though. I do have shim'd hydro though.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts