Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my uncle has this John Deere BR that I always remember it being in some stage of restoration in most of my younger years. It is in show condition and runs good. Has electric start, no 3pt and believe has been converted to 12v. One rear fender has a small crinkle but I'd say it's a solid 8.5/10 overall machine. I'm interested in this since it has an emotional pull on me BUT I have no idea what the value of it is. I should note I'm not looking to steal it from him.

Any questions I can answer to assist, let me know and I will do my best.

My question is what's the going rate for a show ready BR?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've owned a '45 BO since '70. I wonder why your uncle converted it to 12 volts because my BO starts easily on 6 volt electrical system. Prices of older farm tractors has fallen considerably in the last few yrs. I'll take a wild guess at $3-$4K
i think both of you need to post some pics of them! one of these days ill find a BO, ive always wanted one of those little guys lol

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've owned a '45 BO since '70. I wonder why your uncle converted it to 12 volts because my BO starts easily on 6 volt electrical system. Prices of older farm tractors has fallen considerably in the last few yrs. I'll take a wild guess at $3-$4K
See I'm not positive on the 12v conversion. I do know it starts easily as I was there when he started it after sitting for 6 months, fired right up. My guess was $5k-$6k but he is in the $10k-$12k ball park. I said what $$$ I was thinking first. I'm bummed if he wants that much because it is out of my ball park... I will also note that he isn't ready to sell it yet but when he is, I'm #2 on the list. My other uncle is #1 on the list...

Any ideas where to research it's value?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Check some Mecum auction results. I think your uncles BR will not bring $5000 in TODAY'S market.
Mecum sells tractors??? Huh, never knew!

EDIT: Went to Mecum and registered, one BR sold in 2016 for $12k but the more recent ones have sold for $6k or less... guess my gut was right...

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
how come neither one of you are posting any pictures of the ones you have?
:nunu:yeah-i wantta see what a BR-and a BO-looks likes:dunno::laugh: come-on-please.....................:munch:

·
Super Moderator
7,864 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how come neither one of you are posting any pictures of the ones you have?
Well I don't have one... I'm hoping to swing by his house this week. Problem is, he just had a nerf football sized cancer mass removed from his left upper thigh and starts radiation this week. Radiation for him means pregnant women and small children (like my midget) can't be around him because he's radiating.

All that means I will try to post pics this week (forgot about the "must post pics" rule).

·
Registered
408 Posts
I need to talk with my cousin about his BO. Last time we talked he said something about he should sell it to me. His needs a lot of work including a crankshaft replacement. I'm not sure what kinda $$$$ he wants for it.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
thanks-SGS-so the BR-was kinda the start of what the wheatland tractor turned out to be-huh:dunno:

none of them that i seen around here as a kid. guess they was out to the west of me.

now the BO's was the start of the little crawlers-kinda like my dad's little 430 gas engine later.

thanks again for the info and pics:bigthumb: always love pics.:hi:

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a later model AR, and a low seat standard 60, but i would like a BO, thats about the physically smallest waterloo deere built, just be pretty cool i think, and honestly really would like to see what your guy's BO's look like.

Someday ill find one....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm new to the forum so a little late to this thread. We own a BO and a BR. Bought them from a collector friend. (Pictures below) He is 87 and liquidating his collection. I'm pretty sure there are 2 BOs and a BI still available. If you are interested I can get pictures and prices on the tractors.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm new to the forum so a little late to this thread. We own a BO and a BR. Bought them from a collector friend. (Pictures below) He is 87 and liquidating his collection. I'm pretty sure there are 2 BOs and a BI still available. If you are interested I can get pictures and prices on the tractors.
Looks like you have a nice collection of tractors. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Southwest Michigan is known as the fruit belt so the area had lots of BOs. When the 40 was introduced with the 3 pt hitch most of the farmers traded in their BOs. It was rumored that one dealer took 2 semi loads of BOs to the scrap yard.
My friend at one time had 160 tractors in his collection. He's now down to 60. I've attached photos of the remaining BOs in the collection. All are for sale. Sorry, I couldn't get 3 to rotate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel the need to update this thread... my uncle Howard passed away a few days ago. No idea what's going on with his stuff, I feel like an ass bringing it up, therefore I will not bring it up to his son. Howard was awesome, always tinkering in his shop, patient with any question I ever had. I truly credit him with my interest in machining/Tool and Die...

Miss ya Howard...

Remembering Howard D. Swan | Pawlak Funeral Home

1 - 20 of 22 Posts