Green Tractor Talk banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That old plug looks fairly decent. If you want to see a nasty Champion RC12YC out of the same B&S engine, check out mine. :)
How many hours was on that spark plug? I don't know how much it matters, but I run 100% pure gasoline (no ethanol).

Reactions: 99f250

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I usually run Amsoil, but I had some SAE 30 bottles leftover, so I wanted to get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
How many hours was on that spark plug? I don't know how much it matters, but I run 100% pure gasoline (no ethanol).
You won't believe it but around 25 hours. :) I also run nothing but 91-octain non-Ethanol. This issue here is that this machine gets used as a mail getter (it doesn't even have a deck); It gets used 6 days a week and only run for less than 10-mins at a time. It runs a tad rich and during the winter it just devours those Champion plugs - completely fouling them at times. Once warmer weather arrives it will go all summer on a single plug. It still runs rich but not to the point of fouling.

I don't worry about it too much as I know I'm running the engine in extreme conditions (sometimes 5-10 degrees F). I buy a 4-pack of plugs from Amazon for $2.50 each and change them when the engine starts to sputter. :)

I run Mobil-1 5W-30 full synthetic year round.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
You won't believe it but around 25 hours. :) I also run nothing but 91-octain non-Ethanol. This issue here is that this machine gets used as a mail getter (it doesn't even have a deck); It gets used 6 days a week and only run for less than 10-mins at a time. It runs a tad rich and during the winter it just devours those Champion plugs - completely fouling them at times. Once warmer weather arrives it will go all summer on a single plug. It still runs rich but not to the point of fouling.

I don't worry about it too much as I know I'm running the engine in extreme conditions (sometimes 5-10 degrees F). I buy a 4-pack of plugs from Amazon for $2.50 each and change them when the engine starts to sputter. :)

Wow! That's amazing. How does the mail getter do in the snow? In contrast, my machine is used 6 - 8 times per year, but it runs for several hours each time. Great story and thanks for the information!

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
Wow! That's amazing. How does the mail getter do in the snow? In contrast, my machine is used 6 - 8 times per year, but it runs for several hours each time. Great story and thanks for the information!
It does great! If we get snow or ice I throw a set of chains on the back tires. I keep a set of chains and a small jack on the porch and can throw them on in less than 10-mins. Despite the one-wheel drive it never has a problem getting up and down our driveway. Granted, the most I ever drive through is a couple inches. Any more than that and I plow/blow the driveway clear first with the 2720. :)

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Perhaps just camera angle, but wondering if this clip is fully down into groove?

Other one looks to be deeper in grove.
I wasn't able to answer that question with confidence, so I just went out to the garage and checked. Yes, both clips are properly seated. (y)

Reactions: x738

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The 5W-30 is pretty smart for winter use.

I'll be switching back to Amsoil on the next go around.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nice work biodiesel! I am retiring my d100 from mowing. Now it's just going to be a yard cart puller and/or a toy most importantly! 🙂👍🏻
It's earned it with almost 600 hrs of hard mowing.

Reactions: Gs JD and biodiesel

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Nice work biodiesel! I am retiring my d100 from mowing. Now it's just going to be a yard cart puller and/or a toy most importantly! 🙂👍🏻
It's earned it with almost 600 hrs of hard mowing.
Wow, 600 hours! That gives me hope! She's earned her keep as a yard cart puller. (y)

Reactions: 99f250

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
We took the D100 out to the property for the first time since making repairs to the mower deck. I'm happy to report that everything works as designed. In total, we've mowed an estimated 7 acres.

Reactions: Gs JD and JimR
41 - 52 of 52 Posts