Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
EDIT: TITLE OF THREAD IS WRONG, IT'S A D110, NOT E110.

Hi.

I just purchased my first riding lawnmower. This is what I got from Lowes: Item # 521666 / Model # BG20982 / John Deere D110 19-HP Hydrostatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower

Before I purchased I was shopping around and I noticed most mulching kits for other mowers came with a different blade. But the kit they recommend for this mower (42-in mulch kit (228462)) is only a plastic cover. Is that really all I need to make this a mulching mower? The same blade it came with is fine for mulching?

Thanks for any info!

Gordon

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
I cannot find "228462" in the parts list. Are there any letters in front of that number? The D110 parts shows two mulching listing.

GY00115 Mulching Cover

GY00115.jpg

And BM21816 Mulching Kit

BM21816.jpg

As you can see the mulching kit comes with new blades.

The standard blades are decribed as "3-in-1".

The 2018 Lawn and Garden Accessories brochure lists BM21816 as the mulching kit for the 42-inch 100-series deck.

E110_mulch.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
I edited your thread title to reflect the correct model number for you Gordon!

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
That "228462" number is a Lowe's item (aka "SKU") number. That number means nothing outside of Lowe's inventory system

The Deere model number for your kit is the "Model # GY00115" listed on your same linked page.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts

That is a very good question. I wish your dealer was more helpful with your options. If I had to guess, it seems you can use the mulching "cover" with your existing 3-in-1 blades or you can install the full mulch kit with the plastic baffle and dedicated mulching blades.

Common sense tells me the baffles and dedicated blades would probably work better but I have no experience with either on a D110.

I have the baffles and dedicated mulching blades on my X500 w/48" deck and am extremely happy with the way it cuts and mulches.

·
Registered
783 Posts
...Before I purchased I was shopping around and I noticed most mulching kits for other mowers came with a different blade. But the kit they recommend for this mower (42-in mulch kit (228462)) is only a plastic cover. Is that really all I need to make this a mulching mower? The same blade it came with is fine for mulching?
That doesn't sound right. My X350 mulch kit came with different blades -- the dealer gave the original blades back to me. Any blades will "work" but a mulching blade provides lift to allow time for more cuts, meaning smaller pieces. You should talk with a dealer, not a reseller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts