Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving over to my son's place the other day when the 2014 John Deere D110 started to smoke. It has a 19hp Briggs and Stratton with regular maintenance. I had just changed the oil and thought maybe I had put too much oil in but it is burning oil as the oil keeps going down on dipstick. Any suggestions like an oil additive to loosen up a stuck ring before I have to tear it down and check the oil ring. Mower only has a 100hrs on it. Using conventional Pennzoil 10w30

Premium Member
If smoke is pouring out the exhaust pipe chances are it is just a blown head gasket. That series of single cylinder B&S engines is famous for blown head gaskets. It is very easy and inexpensive to repair.

Super Moderator
Before you tear things apart, make sure it's actually burning oil. The 100-series machines have a tendency to leak around the valve cover since it doesn't come from the factory with any gaskets. The leaked oil then tends to drip down onto the exhaust pipe which is hot after running. So the oil burns but not internally in the engine.

So before you do anything else, I'd suggest checking the bolts on the valve cover.

Reactions: jgayman

Registered
Yeah I had one of those, an L100 with the single cylinder Breaks & Scatters engine. HG replacement is not a difficult job, it will take you longer to clean up the block and head than it will to disassemble it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you tear things apart, make sure it's actually burning oil. The 100-series machines have a tendency to leak around the valve cover since it doesn't come from the factory with any gaskets. The leaked oil then tends to drip down onto the exhaust pipe which is hot after running. So the oil burns but not internally in the engine.

So before you do anything else, I'd suggest checking the bolts on the valve cover.
It鈥檚 not leaking, it is burning the oil, check the plug the other day and it was really bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
It鈥檚 not leaking, it is burning the oil, check the plug the other day and it was really bad
I'm sticking with head gasket. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it seems these engines had flawed engineering and fail at the same spot all the time, picked up a new gasket at JD dealer today for around $25. Part guy said he thinks they have beefed up the gasket around the problem area

Premium Member
Yeah it seems these engines had flawed engineering and fail at the same spot all the time, picked up a new gasket at JD dealer today for around $25. Part guy said he thinks they have beefed up the gasket around the problem area
I realize you are in Canada but that is expensive if it was just the head gasket. A new head gasket on Amazon is less than $10. Around here JD dealers charge $16. Pro Parts Direct charges $24.50 for an entire gasket set... head, intake, exhaust, rocker cover and valve stem seals.

Did the dealer recommend picking up an intake and exhaust gasket?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I realize you are in Canada but that is expensive if it was just the head gasket. A new head gasket on Amazon is less than $10. Around here JD dealers charge $16. Pro Parts Direct charges $24.50 for an entire gasket set... head, intake, exhaust, rocker cover and valve stem seals.

Did the dealer recommend picking up an intake and exhaust gasket?
It was $22.50 plus tax, on Amazon.ca it was $16 but was off brand, Briggs gasket was $35. Intake gasket was a seal and was in great condition, exhaust was also good

Premium Member
Got it changed today, note the difference in the gaskets
It's kind of hard to see with the shadows but I suspect one of them is "not blown". :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts