Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System

Hmmm, so it's a filter and partial oil change in a self contained package. I guess that it's better than what a lot of the people that buy this series tractor would do maintenance wise.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Interesting, and I agree with you statement Bubber. Are all the D series now E series?:unknown:

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
So unless these engines are a dry sump design, you are only doing a partial oil change as Bubber noted. The cartridge is cool, but give me a complete oil change. :good2:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Looks to me like that filter can't hold more than a quart of oil, so at best you may be changing half of the oil.

Ranks right up there with the people who don't change the oil in their car/truck because it leaks and burns so much oil that they add a quart every other week. They figure they over a few months that they have changed their oil since they have put in 4 quarts.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
E is the new D.
They don't have the E's on the website yet.

I wonder how the price of this new quick change cartridge compares to the cost of a conventional filter and 2 quarts of oil?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Interesting concept. If there was a way to change out most of the oil with a method like that it would be slick. It does look like a half-baked solution though, if it only replaces a portion of the total engine oil. If it was really cheap then that wouldn't be so bad... Just do that a couple times a year. But you know that fancy cartridge is going to jack the price up so you'll be paying 3x the cost of a normal change. Plus, how do you recycle the old oil? I suppose Deere will have you bring the used cartridge back to a dealer and they'll have some expensive machine to purge the oil out of it. Hmmm... maybe if the cartridge were actually re-usable (like a core deposit thing) then it could be done more cheaply?

Rob

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
Hmmm... good point about how to dispose of the old cartridge. You certainly can't just throw it in the trash.

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
So unless these engines are a dry sump design, you are only doing a partial oil change as Bubber noted. The cartridge is cool, but give me a complete oil change. :good2:
Yup. If that type of a cartridge/oil combo were hanging off the bottom of the engine sump somehow, you could shut the engine off, wait for the oil to drain down, change it and be done and you'd change out all of the oil. But this reminds me of the days when you'd go to Jiffy Lube and they'd change your oil without changing the filter.

I wonder what the new maintenance schedule for this is? Maybe they've dropped it down to every 20 hours so that your oil never gets a chance to get dirty...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Here's the downside as I see it: Partial oil change; Ever Increasing cost for that stupid filter; having to bring it to a dealer for disposal?; another clunky part bolted on to your engine.

Here's the good side: Caters to the lazy, but comes at an ever increasing price; a real break thru for those who fear getting their hands dirty; No PTSD's caused by the touching of a wrench; wife won't complain about your getting oil on you clean work gloves, shirt, pant & shoes. And we all know a happy wife is a happy life. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
I see this as a very clever marketing campaign for Deere. First, they pitch the "Think of all the money you will save" by not having to involve the dealer service depart or "Get your hands all dirty" doing oil changes and the "You can do it yourself", with of course, the dealer sold filter kit. So this pretty much requires the owner to buy the oil change kit from Deere now, which brings them into the dealerships (there will be some who will buy it online) and every time they are in the dealership, it's an opportunity to interest them in something else.

And the flip side is by not changing all of the oil and draining the debris and crud from the bottom of the oil pan, the engine likely won't last as long which will require a new tractor sale........another sales opportunity for Deere.

I recently read a study about the attitudes of consumers on their expectations of purchase longevity and usefulness before obsolescence of some type. The conclusion is that younger people don't have near the expectations of their purchase lasting as does those of us over age 50. Much of the "social pressure" to encourage new purchases is driven by social media and the "look what I got" attitude. So, the days of the consumer expectation of their items lasting and lasting seem to be aging into obsolescence with us........which in the end means more sales for manufacturers.

I know for a fact that major appliance manufacturers are now planning a 5 year life span on appliances because "the old one's lasted too long and people weren't replacing them often enough". Well, when I spend $2,000 on a refrigerator and it's junk in 5 years, fat chance of me ever buying that brand again, but apparently they feel with the mentality where some / many people have to upgrade their cell phones with every release, some will want to upgrade their appliances more often.......Not me.

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
Here's the downside as I see it: Partial oil change; Ever Increasing cost for that stupid filter; having to bring it to a dealer for disposal?; another clunky part bolted on to your engine.

Here's the good side: Caters to the lazy, but comes at an ever increasing price; a real break thru for those who fear getting their hands dirty; No PTSD's caused by the touching of a wrench; wife won't complain about your getting oil on you clean work gloves, shirt, pant & shoes. And we all know a happy wife is a happy life. :laugh:
You just know people aren't going to turn back into the dealers 1 for every 3 "filter kits" sold at the dealers. It's just like anything else, people are inherently lazy and will take the easy route, which means those oil filters will likely end up in the land fills at a higher rate than Deere dealers squishing and draining them.........Not that this is by any means a good thing, but I can see it already.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It sounds like they are trying to compete with Briggs and Stratton "Check and Add".

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/campaigns/just-check-and-add.html
My best guess is. B&S is trying to sell you on never HAVING to change the oil. Maybe JD is not comfortable enough with that "new technology " on the B&S engines that they install. So they came up with this new system. Figuring a partial oil change is better than none at all.

One of the YouTube comments was. I have a 12 year old B&S engine that I never changed the oil in and it still runs fine. lol

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You just know people aren't going to turn back into the dealers 1 for every 3 "filter kits" sold at the dealers. It's just like anything else, people are inherently lazy and will take the easy route, which means those oil filters will likely end up in the land fills at a higher rate than Deere dealers squishing and draining them.........Not that this is by any means a good thing, but I can see it already.
1 out of 100 may not end up in the trash.

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
My best guess is. B&S is trying to sell you on never HAVING to change the oil. Maybe JD is not comfortable enough with that "new technology " on the B&S engines that they install. So they came up with this new system. Figuring a partial oil change is better than none at all.

One of the YouTube comments was. I have a 12 year old B&S engine that I never changed the oil in and it still runs fine. lol
Which begs the question - I wonder how many people actually change the oil in their mowers. Not including our group here of course.

I also wondered about people who lease cars for 3 years. Do they ever change the oil? I’ve heard the comment a couple times of “it’s just a lease car - who cares?”

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Which begs the question - I wonder how many people actually change the oil in their mowers. Not including our group here of course.

I also wondered about people who lease cars for 3 years. Do they ever change the oil? I’ve heard the comment a couple times of “it’s just a lease car - who cares?”
My girlfriend's MTD push mower was one of them. Until I got my hands on it. Oil was low and black as ink. Changed the oil twice more this last season.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
A new filter and some oil is definitely better then many people do. Then there are those that change oil but not the filter.

I would assume there is still a conventional drain plug for those who care enough to do it right.

One thought is if this filter is expensive you may see more people doing oil no filter.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts