Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As noted in a previous thread, back in 2011 I added an electric actuator to our snow blower to control the chute deflection up and down. Whereas the rocker switch I am using has neither failed or caused any issues, I am curious to understand if the John Deere Grip LVA13698 could be used to control the actuator instead of using the rocker switch. When it comes to snow blowing, my right hands spends the majority of its time on the FEL control arm and it seems to me a logical place for a switch.

Below are some pics of the grip I am referencing (thanks Kenny).

120241_5025_joystick_275pix.jpg DSC05061%20(Medium).JPG

Appreciate any help or insight the group can provide.

Doug

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work, looks like the grip just has the switch built into it. Are you using a relay now, or going from your existing switch straight to the actuator? You would probably want a relay with the joystick, I doubt it's meant to handle a lot of current.

You might check with Brian at Fit Rite, he has some similar grip products with switches built in as well.

·
Administrator
18,309 Posts
The grips used on the 3x and 4x tractors (with two contacts as opposed to three like I used) are available as parts for reasonable money, price may vary a bit:
Joystick parts.jpg

But...you must use relays as the membrane switch will not take much current, and the hole in the botton is way to big so you'll have to make an adapter. If you want the third switch like I used for my horn, you'll have to spend about $175, it's from a JD 110TLB. You will also have to cut down your joystick or the grip will be way to tall.

Brian at Fit-Rite sell's the Sure Grip (I think) brand, with the proper adapters and with any switch combo you want. There are a few other threads discussing this also...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have "acquired" a LVA13698 that was previously tried on something else. The caveat being if I can get it to work, we will talk price and if I cannot I can return it.

photo (6).JPG

I have a local machinist that can handle the modification needed from the base of the grip to the handle itself. I have absolutely no experience with relays and only a rudimentary understanding as to how they work and why they are needed. Any help would be appreciated as to how to get from the 5 wires on the grip to the 2 wires coming from the actuator (assuming this is where the relays will come in). Also, which or what type of wiring should I use? Do I or should I use the connectors that are on the grip?

Again, any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
18,309 Posts
LIW, here is a drawing I made for someone else a few years ago, I think it will help you. I would check the switch contacts with a ohm meter in case whoever "tried" it before didn't use relays.

Relay w-JD Switch.JPG

Reactions: lost in wisconsin
1 - 5 of 5 Posts