Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 20 years ago now a career bulldozer man I admired gave me his grease recommendation. He'd tried them all and the only one he could count on to still be working on his Caterpillar at the end of the day was John Deere HD Special Purpose Moly (silver canister). So I used it on my JD 970! I got out of tractors and farming 10 years ago, so I don't know if it's still made. And I have no product number, just that description. Does anyone know if it's still around?

By the way, just got a tractor again and bought into the German-made AirTech Lube-Shuttle system and am using their G200 grease for everything. So honestly unless I go back to my frustrating old grease guns, I won't be chasing down the JD grease. The G200 grease is supposedly the standard high performance grease used in Germany. It should work on the rotary cutter and be more than adequate for my non-high speed uses.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,360 Posts
I've been using TY6333 for over 30 years, HD/Extreme Pressure.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've been using TY6333 for over 30 years, HD/Extreme Pressure.
View attachment 782703
That seems to be a typical 3% moly product.

If you want something that stays in loader pins better find some 5% moly grease. I use Amalie Pro Tac 5% on my loaders and most everything slow speed.

Reactions: Mossy Dell

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,457 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I have the lube shuttle and love it. I use their MoS2 for everything.

rob

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,360 Posts
That seems to be a typical 3% moly product.
If you want something that stays in loader pins better find some 5% moly grease. I use Amalie Pro Tac 5% on my loaders and most everything slow speed.
I started using this grease on my #7 backhoe in 1988 because it held up really well but come to think of it, I do not ever remember reading it was only 3% moly. ????

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
830 Posts
I started using this grease on my #7 backhoe in 1988 because it held up really well but come to think of it, I do not ever remember reading it was only 3% moly. ????
I'm sure it's a good grease but most of them are.

I used 3% Valvoline Ford/Lincoln formula for 50 years and it has always performed great as a multipurpose grease for me.

When I bought a full size backhoe with a million fittings and saw it wouldn't go a solid week of heavy use without having to regrease it I started to look into other options. Everything I read indicated the 5% moly greases were better suited for heavy off road equipment. When I switched and was working it hard I went from having to grease every week to every month. The pins in my loader have an audible squawk when they need greasing.

Most of us don't use our equipment under these conditions enough for it to matter. IF I were to go back to a single grease for everything it would be the Valvoline 3% grease I used for 50 years.

Several companies manufacturer a 5% variety including CAT, and I'm sure they wouldn't unless it had an application.

·
Super Moderator
6,041 Posts
I use the moly grease on my loader!(y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually found an old tube of this John Deere HD Special Purpose Moly (silver canister) grease in my garage! I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Here is the only 5% moly grease that I could find from Deere.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Looks like same part number, different style/color tube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. A classic in a new color, I guess. I tried to get the part number in the photo because someone asked me before because packaging changes. Till I found this tube, I didn't know, just that it was in the silver canister at the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts