Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a "new" book off of Craig's List for $10. It's titled "John Deere - A History of the Tractor" by Randy Leffingwell. About 400 pages filled with pictures and the history of John Deere tractors.

John Deere - A History of the Tractor

I read a few chapters so far - very interesting book. Makes me want to go out and find myself a two cylinder Johnny Popper. I have been wanting a smaller one, i.e. nothing bigger than a B, perhaps a H, or a M or a 40. I may have to go find one and convince (beg) the wife for one.

Reactions: FormulaB

·
Administrator
18,757 Posts
Nice find!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That's a great buy.

I have the same book. Got it as a birthday present and read it over and over.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Makes me want to go out and find myself a two cylinder Johnny Popper. I have been wanting a smaller one, i.e. nothing bigger than a B, perhaps a H, or a M or a 40. I may have to go find one and convince (beg) the wife for one.
I know where there's a very nice MT for sale. :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know where there's a very nice MT for sale. :thumbup1gif:
Don't tempt me...lol. I know of where there's a two cylinder JD at. We switched churches in January 2009 and there's this John Deere tractor sitting next to an old shed on this one road on the way to church. It's been sitting there in the same spot since January 2009. Looks to be a wide front and about the size of a B or smaller. I keep telling me wife I'm gonna stop by and asked about it. It's sitting back a ways from the road and looks to be rough - it will be project I'm sure. I'm just not sure if I want a project and then, I'm always hesitant to approach people about an item that's sitting on his property like that. But, maybe some day I will stop by and just asked.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Some guys seem to take offense at people asking if stuff they have sitting around is for sale. I always have guys stopping to ask me, and it doesn't bother me. I say stop and ask. Of course, if he says he'll sell it, you will have to buy it. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about 3/4 the way through the book - just starting the chapter for the 320/420, etc tractors in the late 50s. Interesting read, especially the information from Theo Brown who kept a very thorough diary. It seems like that was a standard practice at Deere - keeping diaries. See Theo Brown Diariesl

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/off-topic/2637-anyone-researched-theo-browns-diaries-john-deere-engineer.html

I believe Theo Brown had a book that was published in the early 50s. I believe it was titled "Early Tractor Development".

Here is a paper I found on him.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I thought this was worthy of the Library. I copied the tread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts