Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Looks like he did a quickie spray paint job on it. Probably has scratches that he wanted to hide before selling. Can't blame him there but... Deere sells spray paint! He could have at least used the right colors. :laugh:

It seems pretty clear to me that he taped over the labels and sprayed it. That thing didn't come from the factory like that. Note that the catches for the bottom pins are also green. He probably took those off when he painted it.

As long as it's 100% functional and the price is right, I wouldn't be to concerned about the paint color.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
this is just my 2cts, so don't get angry, but I think that its a Harbor Freight hitch doctored up with some jd decals and a little green paint, why do I say that , only because how the handles are made that releases the pins. take a look at HF's and than at JD's, mine doesn't look nothing like that. u can go to HF and get one for around $100 . just my 2cts

Reactions: TJR345

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
2520 012.jpg I don't know Big Jim. It sure looks like a JD. Bottom left pic is Harbor Freight

Attachments

·
Registered
23,281 Posts
I would shy away from something sketchy like this. A hitch like this is a life long investement - I wouldn't cheap out on it.

Reactions: TJR345

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
this is just my 2cts, so don't get angry, but I think that its a Harbor Freight hitch doctored up with some jd decals and a little green paint, why do I say that , only because how the handles are made that releases the pins. take a look at HF's and than at JD's, mine doesn't look nothing like that. u can go to HF and get one for around $100 . just my 2cts

Deere changed those release handles at some point. Mine are straight but if you do a Google image search there are tons of pics of the iMatch hitch with the curved handles.

I took my laptop out o the garage and compare every single thing I could think of between the pics above and my iMatch hitch and every hole, bolt and weld is in the exact right place and shape.

Reactions: Levi and etcallhome

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks like he did a quickie spray paint job on it. Probably has scratches that he wanted to hide before selling. Can't blame him there but... Deere sells spray paint! He could have at least used the right colors. :laugh:

It seems pretty clear to me that he taped over the labels and sprayed it. That thing didn't come from the factory like that. Note that the catches for the bottom pins are also green. He probably took those off when he painted it.

As long as it's 100% functional and the price is right, I wouldn't be to concerned about the paint color.
Ad says it's new. So it should not have been painted.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I have both the JD unit and the HF unit. This one sure looks like a JD unit. There is no comparison in quality. All you have to do is move the release latches and you will see the difference. The JD unit also weighs considerably more. Now, the questions is... Why is it painted black? Especially since he says it is new. That would be worth the trip to look at it just so you could ask that question. If it is really a JD unit, forget about the paint color and work out a deal on the price and take it home. I would pay less since it is not JD green.

Dave

PS:: Another thought after I submitted my reply.... Maybe this is the industrial version??? I believe the industrial loader buckets are black??

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have both the JD unit and the HF unit. This one sure looks like a JD unit. There is no comparison in quality. All you have to do is move the release latches and you will see the difference. The JD unit also weighs considerably more. Now, the questions is... Why is it painted black? Especially since he says it is new. That would be worth the trip to look at it just so you could ask that question. If it is really a JD unit, forget about the paint color and work out a deal on the price and take it home. I would pay less since it is not JD green.

Dave

PS:: Another thought after I submitted my reply.... Maybe this is the industrial version??? I believe the industrial loader buckets are black??
I have all ready worked out a deal for $150 but it is about 2 1/2 hours away for me so I just cant go look at it. I was planning on picking it up Sunday. I think they made some black ones but I am not sure. It looks legit to me but that is why I brought it here before I made a 6 hour round trip for nothing and I am not going to get mad so any opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have all ready worked out a deal for $150 but it is about 2 1/2 hours away for me so I just cant go look at it. I was planning on picking it up Sunday. I think they made some black ones but I am not sure. It looks legit to me but that is why I brought it here before I made a 6 hour round trip for nothing and I am not going to get mad so any opinions are welcome.
I have seen that ad on CL for a while. I thought it was a scam, did you actually talk to someone or has it been email only? It is definitely weird that someone painted it black. I thought it was a HF special but does appear to look like a JD brand once you get a close look at it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen that ad on CL for a while. I thought it was a scam, did you actually talk to someone or has it been email only? It is definitely weird that someone painted it black. I thought it was a HF special but does appear to look like a JD brand once you get a close look at it.
Phone and it does look like a real JD but it is weird that it is black

·
Registered
4,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,045 Posts
Looks like a JD I match to me, I'm pretty sure my brothers have the curved handles. As for the color, OH Well , It's NOT A HF..

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Reactions: rtgt and BigJim55

·
Registered
246 Posts
From: https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5998_fb_Hitches_Quick.htm

I believe the devil is in the details:

"Note: This is not a direct replacement for the iMatch, the hook radius is slightly smaller. Customers may have to remove Implement bushings to fit the hitch."

View attachment 167593

I wonder why they did that? What is the point in using the smaller hook? If that is the only difference, order a replacement part and have both hooks or will the bolt holes match up? Surely the bolt holes are the same. It would just cost more money to produce two different main frames.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I did a little research and found that JD does, in fact, have a black quick hitch. It is not called iMatch and is slightly different than the iMatch as shown in the link below. I believe I would stay away from this one due to the differences.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5998_fb_Hitches_Quick.htm

Dave

The hitch on that page doesn't match the hitch that he's looking at buying. This one doesn't have the.. "strap" around the frame at the base of the top-hook attachment. The iMatch and the one in the opening post DO have the top straps.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
332 Posts
This looks like the "economy" Imatch hitch:
https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5998_fb_Hitches_Quick.htm
As stated by56Nine, the hitch does have a smaller top link opening. I believe these were made by Worksaver. They did add the extra support around the hook in later production models. They were not labeled as iMatch and they were all black, the one in the pic shows the lower latches are green.:dunno:

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
View attachment 167417 I don't know Big Jim. It sure looks like a JD. Bottom left pic is Harbor Freight
glc-yeah-I guess I missed this one by a long shot, after hearing everyone's replies. I know I paid to me big money when I bought mine, way back-I have the old style, no bolts in the hook. but I'm telling u it's like when u have gravy to go with ur mashed potatoes-nothing better is there:laugh: now next yr my goal is to have a top hydraulic cylinder for mine, then I would be set.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's not a Speeco....
Mine doesn't have this extra metal...

00x0x_4PTInwICaBJ_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got duped into the "economy" version by a dealer. Called 2 dealers asking for a quick hitch. I did not specify I-Match. One said they had it in stock and it was cheaper. Went to pick it up in a hurry and they brought it out and it was black and looked like it had been in their inventory for a decade. All beat up. Brought it home, did some research and found out about the ecomy version. Returned it for the real I-Match. No comparison between the two.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts