Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between 2002 and 2011, I traveled twice per year to Europe leading study tours, which took us off the autobahns and onto the back roads. Having grown up in an AG family, I've always taken notice of farming practices.

In the past seven years, I've only made a few trips, but observed some interesting changes.

1) John Deere, as a brand, is popular. The nicer farms seem to all have John Deere tractors--especially 5 and 6 series cab tractors. The popularity of John Deere can be seen in the stores, which often feature John Deere branded clothing, hats, toys and mugs.
2) Europeans still tend to "get by" with the smallest tractor possible, whereas in the US, it is not unusual to see overkill when it comes to tractor size/needs.
3) For the first time, I did not see many carts pulled by donkey's/mules in Romania and Hungary. I did see lots of old and very used Kubota and similar compact and subcompact tractors pulling the same carts.
4) The less modern, smaller farms tended to have Massy-Fergason, Ford and AC tractors. Apparently the market for very used tractors is brisk.
5) I saw two John Deere dealerships (both, very modern, but not well stocked) and several John Deere billboards.

As always, it is interesting to see how other parts of the world embrace US brands. John Deere is truly an icon among tractors.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
JD in IE?

My friends in SE Ireland (IE) don't use JD tractors because they must pay extra for brakes, whereas New Holland tractors have brakes standard. In hilly country brakes are needed. JD costs more, so .... Not so popular.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts