Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to this site , my problem is my 6 year old L111 is dead, the transmission is gone, this question may have been asked before but i can not find any info, is their any way to swap the $630 hydro transmission from my L111 and replace it with a $99 L100 5 speed transmission with little mods, if anyone has tried this or thinks it will work please let me know.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
The frame and fenderdeck are the same on those two machines. The 5-speed should bolt right in. I would slide into your local dealer and see if they will help you identify the remaining parts you would need, shift linkage, idlers, etc...Should still be cheaper than a new hydro. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
May I ask how much the parts set you back and what other parts you had to order?

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the transmission was $127 shipped, the other parts from john deere were $113, i got everything for the gear lever, and think i can make the clutch, brake work if not it will be another $20, so for around $270 i will have a mower that can climb hills and not die after 15 min of mowing

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
That's great. Let me know how it works out.

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just got done mowing the lawn, worked great, had to buy a 91 inch belt from advanced auto, a little different from the hydro, a lot more power, as soon as i let the clutch out it jumped like a big frog, thanks for all your help, if anyone need info let me know

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
As far as I know, you are the first to make this conversion. Glad to know it worked out. Thanks for the update.

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
back from john deere

Subject
transmission swap

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Kim) 05/25/2011 12:32 PM
Thank you for contacting our Web site.

The L111 Lawn Tractor that comes with an automatic transmission was not manufactured for a 5-Speed Gear Transmission. Therefore we do not have a kit available to do this conversion. Is it possible to put a 5-speed L100 Transmission in a L111 mower? Yes, for an experienced service technician; however, support for this conversion would not be available through John Deere or our Dealers.

If we can be of further assistance, please call the Customer Contact Center at 1-800-537-8233. Our center is open 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM EST, Monday - Friday and 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM. EST, Saturday.

Thank you,

Kim R.
John Deere Customer Contact Center
Turf & Utility Products
USA/Canada

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
I know some L owners have swapped in a more heavier duty hydro transmission. The L series, as did the LT series, used the K-46 transmission from Tuff Torq http://www.tufftorq.com/level4.asp?ID=1. The X300 also uses the K-46. The K-46 is not serviceable. I have an X320 that uses the K-58, which is a K-46 with a charge pump http://www.tufftorq.com/level4.asp?ID=3. I have read that some L owners replaced their K-46 with a K-58 or even a K-62. So, for L owners, you might try that conversion also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2nd L111 Hydro to Manual Tranny Conversion

I just did the conversion on my L111 yesterday & so far it seems to be working great! I just wanted to say a special thanks to talon for his help. He took the time to talk to me, sent me the parts list that he used & even took photos of his L111 & sent them to me! Then he took time to take several calls from me yesterday while I was performing the surgery. It looks like the patient will live to mow many more days!! I just wanted to say thank you, I really appreciate his help!

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I just did the conversion on my L111 yesterday & so far it seems to be working great! I just wanted to say a special thanks to talon for his help. He took the time to talk to me, sent me the parts list that he used & even took photos of his L111 & sent them to me! Then he took time to take several calls from me yesterday while I was performing the surgery. It looks like the patient will live to mow many more days!! I just wanted to say thank you, I really appreciate his help!
It's people like him who make this site a great place to be involved with! :good2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i need help

Hello i have a l 111 also and its doin the same thing and ive found the transmission u talked about but what else is needed to complete the job and did u get everything from john deere except the belt

·
Registered
1 Posts
L111 Transmission Conversion

I too have the same problem with my L111 Hydro unit. I would like to pick up a rider that has a blown engine, deck, etc and pirate all the parts off of it to convert mine to a "manual" transmission. My question is...besides the L100, what other models (and years) have the same frame and fenders, etc. that mould make the conversion more of a "plug and play" job....and possibly a stronger unit, as well.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here. I just bought a used 2005 L111 Automatic drive which looks to be in excellent condition and kept immaculate by former owner. It has 131 hours and looks like new. He had serviced every year by a JD dealer. What should I do or be concerned with to keep the automatic transaxle working? Any maintenance tips that I haven't been able to find in manuals? Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts