Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the John Deere LA 1941-1946 have a choke cable or a choke rod?

My LA has a hole on the dash but no choke rod or cable. I have not seen anything referring to either cable or rod.

Thanks, Scott in Texas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
All I've ever seen have a choke rod. Mine does and 3 others I know of do as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LA Choke Rod

Uncle Wayne,

Is there a photo or drawing with measurements somewhere that I could use as a go by to make me one?

Thanks, Scott in Texas

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Scott,

I never owned an L or LA, but on any of the old tractors I did own the choke rod was just a straight rod, about 1/4" in diameter. One end usually had a threaded-on clevis to connect to the carb linkages, and the other just went through the dash and had a knob on it. It was long enough so when it was all the way in, enough stuck through the dash for maybe 1/2" of space between the knob and dash.

When I restored my 1954 40U I just went to AutoZone and bought a window handcrank knob about the same size as the old Deere cracked one and threaded it onto the end of the choke rod. Other than not having "CHOKE" written on it, I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

If you know where the end connects to near the carb linkages, and where it goes through the dash, it should be easy to make one up.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
All I've ever seen have a choke rod. Mine does and 3 others I know of do as well.
I was wrong and so were my 3 friends. I was at the barn this morning and just happened to remember your question. I was going to take some pictures to help you see how my rod connected and found out mine has a cable, not a rod. I called up my other 3 LAers and all of them looked and verified theirs were cables also. All of thought we had rods on the choke. The rod is on the starter but the throttle and the choke have cables. Similar to what you'd find on a push lawn mower. Sorry about that misleading reply. Here;s some photos of the cable on mine. It is about 5 feet long.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LA Choke Cable

Thank you Uncle Wayne.....It look like your choke knob is mounted with your accelerator rod and starter rod, correct? This make more sense to me.

I have a hole on the hood/dash just lower right of the oil pressure gauge. I thought this is where the choke was supposed to be. Maybe this is where a light switch should be mounted?

Thanks,
Scott in Texas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts