Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I got my snow blower installed on my LX172 and we just had our first big snowfall in Minnesota. I jumped on the tractor and headed out to blow some snow. Engaged the blower and everything sounded fine. I hit the snow and it seemed like the snow was blowing out of the chute but then after a few seconds, snow was shooting out the front of the blower and nothing out of the chute. It was acting like it was clogged with wet snow. I stopped and looked at the chute and the auger area but nothing was clogging the machine, it actually looked pretty clean. Is it possible to hook up the belt so the blower is working backwards? Maybe the belt is slipping when it hits the snow but it doesn't seem to stop moving, I can still hear it working.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is your auger turning in the correct rotation?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
And, check your shear pins.

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I moved the auger with my hand and the belt moves when I turn the auger. I haven't started the machine yet to look at the way the auger is moving. I will do that today.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Where are the shear pins on a John Deere? Are they on the auger? I looked, but did not see them.
I checked on JD Parts and I also don't see any shear pins on this unit

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Where are the shear pins on a John Deere? Are they on the auger? I looked, but did not see them.
I checked on JD Parts and I also don't see any shear pins on this unit
Well, I stand corrected. Deere must feel that maybe being a belt drive it doesn't need any. Or that stalling out this machine is OK.

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
Well, I stand corrected. Deere must feel that maybe being a belt drive it doesn't need any. Or that stalling out this machine is OK.
Wow... that is surprising. Every walk-behind blower I have ever owned had shear pins on the auger and they were all belt driven by 5-13HP engines.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
I'm confused.

If you look at the installation manual I linked in your post about the drive belt tension, there's a list of parts that include a shear bolt and shear bolt nut.

Replacement Parts

This page shows the shear bolts:

Service
I believe this is the correct parts diagram.

Part #6 looks like the shear bolt even though it is only referred to as a bolt.

auger.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
You guys are on the ball this morning, I guess I need to crack open the second can of Dew. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
404 Posts
:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
You guys are on the ball this morning, I guess I need to crack open the second can of Dew. Thanks guys.
See... I knew you were a good guy! And here I thought I was the only one to have a Dew in the morning instead of coffee! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I would look at number 11 the keys at either end of the shaft.

I also do Diet Dew in the morning. Only diet soda I can stand.

·
Registered
11,408 Posts
Diet Dew is good any time. Used to go through a case (24 cans) a week. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked at the auger rotation and I believe it's moving backwards, it's rotating upwards towards the machine instead of forward with the machine. (Clockwise). I wonder what the heck I screwed up. It looks like the belt only goes one way.

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Maybe driving in reverse will correct the problem :laugh: sorry could not resist.:laugh:

Haven't a clue, if shear bolt or bolts not broken, then would I would think something to do with the belt. Never owning a mower with belts not sure of the action, and only helped my neighbor one time about 25 yrs ago with his snowblower .

Wish you luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts