Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little 'musing' on a Monday evening: I bought a Johnny Popper about a year and a half ago. Why? I'm clueless!! It's a 1947 JD "M", and I believe it was 'born' the same week that I was! Ya see, JD started making the "M" in the 'new' Dubuque Iowa, plant on April 1st, 1947. They started production, and the first one off the line was Serial Number 10001. As a lad I found that the distinctive sound of that "Putt, Putt" was mesmorizing! I found the tractor up here in Western New York, on Craig'sList. When I saw that the serial number was 10010, Yes, the tenth one built, I couldn't resist! For a running tractor, cultivator, drawbar, etc. I think I did well at under 2K. What am I doing with it? Damned if I know? Gettin' some parts together, belt, tires, might, sand-blast and powder-coat the wheels, and weigts. Sheet metal is straight, but could use a front grille shell, that's been bondo'd a bit. When I bought it I told the guy, "Ya know, I really don't 'need' this! (Tryin my best at bargaining') As a perfect salesman, he replied....."Well, if you only bought what you really needed in life, it would be a pretty boring existance!" I fired it up tonight, just to listen to it run! Do I need "therapy", or just more parts, and paint? ~Scotty

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
That is great Scotty. We all need to indulge ourselves once and a while. That is a really neat machine and story. I see an all new hobby starting up here. We would all love to see some pics of her.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is great Scotty. We all need to indulge ourselves once and a while. That is a really neat machine and story. I see an all new hobby starting up here. We would all love to see some pics of her.
I'm glad that I don't have to go through the steps of JD addiction! I'll tell my wife that Dr. Randy said I'm "OK"! ~Scotty

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I'm glad that I don't have to go through the steps of JD addiction! I'll tell my wife that Dr. Randy said I'm "OK"! ~Scotty
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I am good with that. I have been make the bad guy many a time. Glad to help keep peace in the family.:good2:

Photos though, we need to see your pride and joy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined this site.
My older brother in Ohio is addicted to 'old stuff', all Olivers.
He has a Super 55 Diesel, an OC 46 Loader and 2 OC3's. 1 loader and 1 dozer.
My boss asked me to help clean out an old storage area and guess what I found??
1948 M.
They used it for mowing the area and parked it about 15-20 years ago.
I am awaiting the phone call to get it running again and I will probably be on here with more ?s than you can imagine.
I will not try to turn it until it gets new oil and also gets soaked for a week or 2.
I think it needs new tires.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Welcome to DT Dave, that is one really cool project, some guys have all the luck. :good2: We will be really disappointed if you don't keep us up to date on this one. Now, how do we get your brother to see the light? :laugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, changing his mind ain't gonna happen.

And I should say that he has 1 and 1/2 OC3s.

I found this 'parts' OC3 dozer for him down south of Daytona.
90% undercarriage..$500
I trailered it up to Jax and it gave him a really good excuse to come south in the middle of the winter to pick it up and get away from the kids AND the grandkids.
It sounded like a minature tank when we pulled it out of the field to load it.

·
Administrator
17,532 Posts
Welcome Dave, Great looking machine you have there!

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jd "m"

Nice "M" Dave! I'm getting a little further along on mine, and after looking at the wiring, I had to do something! Surfed, and surfed, and finally found a place that 'fabbed' these to spec, about 15 miles from me! Quality workmanship, braided 'loom', soldered connections, a real work of art! (About a hundred bucks.)

http://www.wiringharnesses.com/catalog.pdf A husband & wife in a home 'cottage industry'!

Now I'm looking for paint.

Guess I'm going with the 'Classic' Green (Sorry-I don't have the code at my fingertips) but it's straight from JD.

Now my questions: I'm not a fanatic! Just want a nice looking tractor. I plan on spraying it with grease remover (Gunk?) , let sit, pressure wash, and spray can the rig with the Classic Green. The wheels and weights, I'd like to have powder coated JD Yellow. I don't think the yellow varied as much as the green in color tone. Guess what I don't know is: Can I paint the block with that same 'Bomb-Can' or will the heat burn it off? Granted the exhaust manifold, and stack need special attention. Also, should I paint before or after I put the wiring harness in? Were the wires painted? Not going crazy for detail, but as the opportunity presents, I might as well get as close to OEM as I can. Thanks! ~Scotty PS Edit: Aren't they a B1tch to get up on?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks Scotty, looking good.

:good2::thumbup1gif::good2::thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JS502 - Glad to see you made the leap to our 'sandbox'! The 'M' will be a be a 'back-burner' project, as I'm planning a 28x40 barn this summer....Just did some grading with my 4200 jd and a Markham Toothbar this morning. Guess I gotta photo document that too.............. ~S

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.... I also have an M project, mines a 49 and its on the back burner, didnt "need" it but I couldnt let it go by for the price I gave, I just picked up a set of turf tires a few weeks back, might make it to be a big lawn mower one day. Just to many projects here also, including a storage shed,, but one day I'll get around to it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
nice machines fellas... :thumbup1gif: JS i'm not falling for your "get around to it" :tongue:

·
Registered
44 Posts
:laugh: I guess my "getting around to it" may encompass a few years,,,, Oh how long does it take to change a starter on a JD 112 SF, somone wants to know :tongue: :hornets: Nah really I dont want to tear into the thing till I have an area where I can do it under roof since I'm soooo "speedy" with these things. I'm in the process of a building,,,, honest I am, just need to pry those bux out of the moths little hands :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't open that wallet to fast.. I hear it may break in have from lack of use.. :laugh::laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts