Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a new John Deere Middle Buster a few weeks ago. Everything on it looks good except the top link pin hole. It's 15/16" in diameter. Of course a standard Cat. 1 top link pin is 3/4". If you tried to hook this up with a Cat. 1 hitch you would have all kinds of play in implement where it connects to the top link, not to say anything about how long the top link pin would stay in.

The John Deere Brochure says it's iMatch compatible, how can that be with a non-standard top link pin holes?

Did I get an oops from the factory and they shipped it out anyway, or are they all coming out this way now?

Can I make it fit the iMatch? Well, kinda. I have a 7/8" pin and a lift link bushing I can grind down to make it fit a little better, but I'll still have a lot of slop on the implement itself. You shouldn't have to do that with a new piece of equipment.

I'm thinking of taking it back to the dealer and getting my money back.

Has anyone else recently purchased a John Deere Middle Buster with non-standard size top link pin holes?

Thanks for your time.

Rick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Lily, that's a middle buster, only mine is green.

Rick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Below is a picture of me holding a Cat. 1 top link pin, in the top link hole on my middle buster. As you can see by the picture, the top link hole is way too big for the top link pin.

Anyone else have this problem with a JD middle buster?

Thanks!

Rick

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,133 Posts
That's interesting.

You can get the CAT2 top link pin along with the CAT 2-3 top link pin bushing to make it iMatch compatible. That's assuming that the hole pictured is CAT 2 diameter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought too, so I went and bought a Cat. 2 top link pin. The Cat. 2 top link pin is 1" in diameter and just a little bit too big to fit through the hole. It can't be forced either, it is that much bigger.

A 7/8" hitch pin will fit through it, but there is still some slop around the pin. Then the issue is bushing it out to fit the iMatch. Top link bushings are made to fit standard Cat. 1 top link pins.

As close as I can tell, without an inside caliper, the top link hole on my middle buster is 15/16" in diameter. Why would it be drilled out to that size?

I've called the dealer about this and she is going to have the dealer rep call Frontier and see what the deal is. I really think it's a factory mistake. But we'll see.

If I get some mumble jumble back for an answer, I'm taking it back and getting my money back.

Thanks for your replies.

Rick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved

I finally got the answer today for my problem with the middle buster. It was a factory error. The dealer called me today and said she talked to Frontier. They said the hole wasn't drilled wrong, but it was assembled/welded wrong. The 15/16" hole was where the lift pin was supposed to bolt to.

If you look at how the Frontier middle buster is put together it's easy to see where they flipped the pieces and welded them incorrectly.

Frontier is aware of the problem, but they aren't going to do anything about it unless people complain (like me). I don't know how many they made like this, but I'm sure they made a few.

So buyer beware! If you are in the market for a Frontier Middle Buster, make sure the top link pin hole is a Cat 1 (3/4") size hole.

The dealer said my new middle buster will be in next week.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Glad you got your answer, and I agree that you shouldn't have to 'fix' new implements. But would a simple bushing have solved your problem? ~S

·
Administrator
18,819 Posts
If you look at how the Frontier middle buster is put together it's easy to see where they flipped the pieces and welded them incorrectly.

Rick
Rick, can you post a picture so we can see that also?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scotty370 - No, a simple bushing would not have fixed it. Now I could have ground down a bushing to make the 7/8" hitch pin fit snugly in the top link hole, but then the problem is finding, or making a bushing to fit the iMatch. Before doing that though, I think I would have to taken it to a machine shop and had them drill it out to 1" and use a Cat. 2 pin in it. It might have cost more, but would have taken less time.

Kennyd - Here is a photo of the Frontier Middle Buster that I have.

If you look at two pieces of steel that pretty much make up the 3 PH, you can see that the right side and left side are identical. Each piece during manufacture (while it is flat stock I would guess), has a 3/4" hole drilled in one end (for the top link) and a 7/8" hole (for the lower lift pin) in the other end. Then it's probably bent in a jig, or big brake of some sort, and welded afterwards. Click on the picture to enlarge it, it's a little hard to see as an attachment.

I believe the dealer in what she told me, but I think Frontier handed her a line. First, the hole for the top link on my middle buster is 15/16", not 3/4" or 7/8". The hole for the lift pin is 7/8" as it should be. But the top link pin hole is an off the wall hole size on a Cat 1 hitch. So I think someone put the wrong bit in the drill press and drilled a bunch. So many that they didn't want to scrap them, so they built them like they were and crossed their fingers.

From now on I'm going check very carefully any tool, or implement that I buy. Lesson learned I guess.

Thanks for your interest.

Rick

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts