Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Have an issue with my 40.... Since the day I got it, sometimes you need to pull the starter engage switch a few times before it actually works, it then fires right up. Over time it got worse, pull it 5-6 times before it fired. Today I started it, had to pull the lever 5 times and fired up and ran. Stopped it, tried to start again and finally nothing. Any ideas? The starter is not jammed. I took the solenoid off and cleaned up, the solenoid had been replaced once before. Still nothing. Got a good battery.
Any idea what it could be? Starter? Solenoid? Starter switch (for ignition/headlights)? Any help appreciated before I start buying parts
Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
740 Posts
It definitely sounds like your problem is electric in nature. How are your ground connections? The starter grounds out where the body of the starter motor meets the bell housing and rust could be making that connection faulty. You might as well check the battery's ground too. The power switch on the dash board doesn't seem as likely unless the tractor cuts out while it is running. Also, make sure your power cables are in good shape. Over time they can actually wear out too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just finished replacing the ignition/light switch on my 48 M, it had gotten to the point it would crank and crank but not start. Started moving switch around and realized it seemed to be related to switch position plus lights not working. Replaced the switch and it starts almost before I can release the pull knob.

Are you cranking but not starting or not even turning over? Not sure if the 40 has the lever switch that engages the starter but if so and not even turning the starter I'd start there.

Now to figure out why ammeter not showing charge, so learning about 6 volt generators and cutoffs will be the course of the week:greentractorride:

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
Just finished replacing the ignition/light switch on my 48 M, it had gotten to the point it would crank and crank but not start. Started moving switch around and realized it seemed to be related to switch position plus lights not working. Replaced the switch and it starts almost before I can release the pull knob.

Are you cranking but not starting or not even turning over? Not sure if the 40 has the lever switch that engages the starter but if so and not even turning the starter I'd start there.

Now to figure out why ammeter not showing charge, so learning about 6 volt generators and cutoffs will be the course of the week:greentractorride:
Welcome from Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Either of you still stuck or have you figured things out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Either of you still stuck or have you figured things out?
Haven't got back to mine yet, found lots of good diagnostic help online so no just need the time to work on it. If I get stuck I'll start a new post.

Reactions: Evergreen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed mine - I took off the ground, wire brushed it and the same with the battery posts and terminals. Seems that my problem was there somewhere. Just confused me, was t sure why it continually got worse and then quit altogether after a few months like that. But got it resolved. Thanks for everyone's advice and help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts