1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts
That is a nice tractor. Judging by the plaque on the side, this is a man who cherishes this machine or is a family who recently lost the owner of it. I'd be willing to bet it's in relatively good shape due to that. I'd go and try it out. Run it around and operate everything. Check the fluids. Smell the gas, is it fresh? This will tell you a lot about the machine. Was it just cleaned or is it "honest" showing recent oil and dirt? I prefer to see a machine that's honestly dirty. It won't hide a oil leak or actual use. When a machine is painted or cleaned super well, it can hide several issues and can be a red flag for me.

From the looks of it, I'd say they are a bit strong on the price, but only just so. It could be just fine. If everything is top notch, it's a fair price IMHO. Around here a machine like that would bring similar dollars in great shape with good/newer tires.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
I am always on the look out for a M, 40, L or LA as they won't Take Up Much Room other wise I Might get shot and Buried In the Back Yard By my signification other. Should have never taught her how to shoot:lol::bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Welcome to the club.

I’ve seen that h and think it might be a bit high on the price.

They are neat little tractors. I’m looking for one as well. But my wife and my ideas are different at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
SGT, sell the backhoe and make it a challenge for her. It might better your odds.:mocking:

That's a nice looking H. I'm with DS. A little tough on the price. I suppose they may have started a little high. Hard for them to go up in price when negotiating a deal.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
SGT, sell the backhoe and make it a challenge for her. It might better your odds.:mocking:

That's a nice looking H. I'm with DS. A little tough on the price. I suppose they may have started a little high. Hard for them to go up in price when negotiating a deal.
Problem is she would just Barrow the Neighbors Backhoe for the Burying Part :laugh:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I was cruising craigslist the other evening and saw this '46 H and it reinforces what DS said about the good rubber and maybe a bit strong on price.

I have a new appreciation about this size tractor (weight), after dragging the 60 (2,000 lb heavier) to a couple of different events, if that's your thing. Rides and shows are pretty popular here in the Midwest, it seems like there's something going on every weekend if you look. This size would make transporting much easier.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Thats me thing I like about my sons cub. It’s easy to take places.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was cruising craigslist the other evening and saw this '46 H and it reinforces what DS said about the good rubber and maybe a bit strong on price.

I have a new appreciation about this size tractor (weight), after dragging the 60 (2,000 lb heavier) to a couple of different events, if that's your thing. Rides and shows are pretty popular here in the Midwest, it seems like there's something going on every weekend if you look. This size would make transporting much easier.
That's what attracted me to the H, seems to be the "compact" of its day. Easier to store too.

I did reach out to the owner of the one I posted, I'm going to try to set something up for next week, but his schedule is difficult. He is retired by apparently has medical issues and many appointments. Probably the reason for the sale. I get the impression that this tractor is his baby.

He may be strong on the price, but I also don't want to offend him. It's hard to overcome someone's sentimental attachment.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a guy on the Michigan thumb with one for 2k. He sent me a video of it running, sounds good. That's a long drive though if something ain't right. But for 2k, might be worth the road trip, about 5.5 hours.

It's isn't as polished or parade ready as the one in OP, which is OK with me. I'm not looking for a show piece. Just something to tinker with and putt around on.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to save the video and put it on youtube. Any thoughts? Tips? Worth the trek? For 2K..., he said he's pretty firm but "cash talks".

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts
Hard to argue with a running, driving, and fully operating machine for $2k. I’d say it’s worth the trip.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hahaha I don't know what I'm waiting for. I guess just hesitant since this is first I'm jumping into something like this. I suppose for 2K, though, it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Hahaha I don't know what I'm waiting for. I guess just hesitant since this is first I'm jumping into something like this. I suppose for 2K, though, it's worth the risk.
:dunno:do ya need someone to ride with u to remind why we're driving that far?:lol: go get it. lots of H's the other night being advertised-but believe it or not, them was at $3 grand-one did have the electric starter and head lights on it-oh.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I just finished speaking with the gentleman and I'm currently 60/40 going. He has 3 H's.

1) The one for 2K. It runs, sat outside for a few years after a tornado wrecked the sheds, but was covered with tarps (this is common to all 3). His dad went through everything.. new gauges, head work, tin works, painted years ago, etc (this is also common to all 3). For this one, the timing is off and it can't be spin started, needs to be coasted. Also, it had a cracked block 40-50 year ago which was repaird and he said doesn't affect the tractor running. Also needs tires.

2) The middle one for 2.5K. Similar to above, but newer tires..., 5-6 years old, but a bit weather checked from sitting outside. However, the tires never touched dirt. When they got this one running this past March, it started fine, ran great, and then they noticed the carb float was sticking and they parked it again. He has the carb off, cleaned/repaired, ready to put back in. Tractor otherwise needs nothing.

3) The top one for 3.5K. He says "show ready".

Now, I'm not getting into this to win shows, and although I am getting into this to have something to tinker on and putt around on, I don't want a problem child like #1, so as we speak, he's going out to finish the work on #2. If/when he's successful tonight/tomorrow morning, he's going to text me and I'm going to make the trek. I basically don't want to have to do any major work out of the gate, I'd like it to be a fully operational tractor and it sounds like this on fits that bill. It'll need spiffied up.

The long story is that his dad had 8 tractors, a bunch of Hs, an A, a 50, and a few others, and he passed away last December. The sons are now getting rid of most of them, but keeping a few for themselves. They haven't gotten around to putting them on the market yet, but will soon. He's very realistic with his prices from what I can tell, and we talked about sentimental value vs true value and the market and what not.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted. I really have a hankering for an H. But SWMBO’d doesn’t think I need another tractor. I’m working on her but it’s slow going.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
This poor wagon shouldn’t be have to be pulled by a red tractor.

Sounds like a good enough reason to me.:dunno:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts