Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked my son into buying a D130 mower a couple years back. We went to a small dealer picked it up and have used it 3 years now. While getting it ready for spring I noticed the paint pealing in a couple spots. Removed the deck and notice a lot more flaking paint underneath. So I started stripping things down and began noticing paint pealing everywhere. In fact it is so bad I am ashamed I talked him to buying one of these green machines. I know we are not the only one to find this problem so my question is how did some of you others deal with the problem? It appears there is no primer anywhere or if there is any it did not bond to the metal. I just don't think there is any. Will I just be better to strip the entire body and repaint? (Checked around and decals don't seem to be available). I have considered coating the underside with bed liner coating. I have used that stuff on some old automobiles and it seem to stand up well but they don't mow grass either. I think this is the worst paint job I have ever seen on a piece of John Deere machinery. Then the deck is doing the same thing.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Talked my son into buying a D130 mower a couple years back. We went to a small dealer picked it up and have used it 3 years now. While getting it ready for spring I noticed the paint pealing in a couple spots. Removed the deck and notice a lot more flaking paint underneath. So I started stripping things down and began noticing paint pealing everywhere. In fact it is so bad I am ashamed I talked him to buying one of these green machines. I know we are not the only one to find this problem so my question is how did some of you others deal with the problem? It appears there is no primer anywhere or if there is any it did not bond to the metal. I just don't think there is any. Will I just be better to strip the entire body and repaint? (Checked around and decals don't seem to be available). I have considered coating the underside with bed liner coating. I have used that stuff on some old automobiles and it seem to stand up well but they don't mow grass either. I think this is the worst paint job I have ever seen on a piece of John Deere machinery. Then the deck is doing the same thing.

Any suggestions?
It all depends on how far you want to you go with correcting the pealing.. I cleaned up the rust spots on my tractor with a wire brush on a drill and a sander.. The deck I stripped and had media blasted.. I purchased the paint from the dealer and repainted everything with a cheap HVLP gun.. I used rust-oleum primer, some in rattle cans, and some from a qt.. you just have to give it plenty of time to dry.. My 265 project.. It looks good and stopped the rust from getting worse..

When I had the deck blasted the shop that did it told me it was originally powder coated. It was pealing off in big flakes.. but it is also 30 years old.. I plan to pull the deck every winter check it and touch it up as needed..

You can also get the decals if you want to replace them.. They are on ebay under the JD part number.. I would also ask the dealer..

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Last year I did my deck (20 years old) stripped it down,sanded,repaired a couple of spots,primed and painted.I brushed Rustoleum primer and JD yellow on the underside.The top I did the same but also sprayed JD brand yellow for a final coat.
If I can still get decals at a dealer for a 20 year old deck you should have no problem on a 3 year old.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Today I did some more cleaning and the more I cleaned the more flaking paint I found. The deck itself I think the only paint left is that on the mounting brackets. It pealed in pieces some as large as my hand. I did go get some rattle cans of Rustolem to prime the underside of the tractor body with and will do the same with the deck. I have some paint from John Deere enough to paint the tractor body with but no yellow. I will get that next wk when I go check on decals. I have a wet sand blaster used with a pressure washer and haven't decided to use it or just do a paint stripper and wash it all off and start over.

This mower came straight from a dealer. NOW that don't mean it might not have been made for a box store but that is sure not where it came from. Who knows what dealers do. I have been following the forum on tractors sold for current models only to find they are a year or so old. My only thought was why would a company destroy some of their reputation putting their name on something with this kind of quality no matter where it is sold?

All the mechanical parts except the steering sector check out fine just the lousy paint job. The steering sector has all the teeth worn off on one end and is getting changed out as soon as the parts arrive.

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Today I did some more cleaning and the more I cleaned the more flaking paint I found. The deck itself I think the only paint left is that on the mounting brackets. It pealed in pieces some as large as my hand. I did go get some rattle cans of Rustolem to prime the underside of the tractor body with and will do the same with the deck. I have some paint from John Deere enough to paint the tractor body with but no yellow. I will get that next wk when I go check on decals. I have a wet sand blaster used with a pressure washer and haven't decided to use it or just do a paint stripper and wash it all off and start over.

This mower came straight from a dealer. NOW that don't mean it might not have been made for a box store but that is sure not where it came from. Who knows what dealers do. I have been following the forum on tractors sold for current models only to find they are a year or so old. My only thought was why would a company destroy some of their reputation putting their name on something with this kind of quality no matter where it is sold?

All the mechanical parts except the steering sector check out fine just the lousy paint job. The steering sector has all the teeth worn off on one end and is getting changed out as soon as the parts arrive.
The big box stores put a lot of pressure on the manufacturers and once one major brand has jumped on board (Cub Cadet) Deere likely felt they couldn't afford to miss out on the market. Sadly, the consumer culture has shifted 180 degrees over the last 20 years and now for many people, price is everything. It's the "Walmart mentality" and in many ways, it's a race to the bottom in quality to consistently meet ever lowering price points.

I personally think that while Deere is introduced to a new market of consumers in the big box mowers sold, it's such a departure to marginal quality, it's tough for those who are quality conscious as I am and it sounds like you are. My new neighbor wanted to buy a mower and went to the box stores. I talked him into going with me to the dealer and he bought a D160. The thing which really surprised me, is after he tried to beat the dealer down even more on price, then he turned around and bought the longest extended warranty he could buy from the dealer, which if I recall, was about 25% of the price of the tractor......I really tried to get him to buy a really nice used 3xx Deere, an older one with the liquid cooled engine, but he insisted on "new" with the warranty. In my opinion, he ended up with a lesser tractor than had he bought the older machine I wanted him to own.

I have seen so many of the D series machines at the dealer with 200 and 300 hours on them and they are really showing signs of serious wear and in many cases, they are worn like Deere's older machines with 3,000 hours on them. The Deere dealers really don't want them as trade in units and often scrap the trade in units of the economy line if they are "worn" because they don't want the hassles of selling the used machine which is falling apart.

I found this article recently which speaks to the Big Box store and Walmart mentality. While the article is several years old, the premise of the story very much applies still today. It's about the Snapper Brand equipment and their experience with WalMart. It shows how the retailers demands can be very damaging for the brand and decisions have to be made which are at the core of the question you raised about Deere's selling of machines in the Home Depot and Lowe's stores. Personally, I think this CEO likely saved the Snapper brand from destruction with his decisions.

The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart

·
Registered
56 Posts
I liked the Man who said No to Walmart story. It has been floating around in the OPE world and still brings a smile. I never followed Snapper real close as there wasn't many of them where ever I lived. I had a rep tell me once that in the south , if you aren't mowing your grass with a Snapper, you're not mowing grass. Now the Snapper parts for me come from my Briggs distributor like a Murray part as they own Snapper and Simplicity too now.

To the OP. It isn't terribly uncommon to have deck delamination up top. Likely it is finished electrostatically as it saves a lot on material and is much more friendly than traditional methods. I've seen the bed liner on the underside only once. A guy had tossed his belt and thought that his spindle had seized. After a period of time, the liner shrunk and cracked and held the blade. I scraped all the bed liner off and I can say that the guy who applied it did a heck of a job on prep. But years later, it bit him. In my experience, there isn't a coating that is reliable on the underside for most folks. It just gets blasted off. It probably doesn't need it either. I'm sure that you will have the top looking ship shape.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
We see paint peeling on mowers from time to time. The older L, LA mowers were bad for it. Haven't seen much of it on the D series. Deere says if the paint peels off and there is rust free metal underneath, then it is due to poor prep. If there is rust under the peeling paint then it is due to the environment. If your machine has rust free metal under the peeling paint I would contact your dealer and see if Deere will step up and help out. Have some pics ready to show the dealer.
As stated, this doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. I dont believe Deere is doing crappy work or cutting corners on purpose. Also there is no difference in a D130 from the BBS or from the dealer. Still a D130. For every one that has peeling paint there are 500k that don't.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got up with rain again this morning so made a trip to dealer where we bought the mower and had quite a discussion. It seems that dealers carry the same machines as the box stores. If it is the same model number then it is the same no matter where you buy. The dealers are carrying larger machines which are not carried at box stores and they usually try and switch you to one of these models. Since box stores were picking up some many sales usually had by dealers they had to get into the game. My only reply to that was you did not even try to switch us to something else. The same model machines all use the same part numbers. In the past they had some indication that the two places carried different machines but no more.We would have bought something different if we had known. I have been buying equipment here for years and was just disappointed in our purchase. Moral of story don't depend on dealers know what you want and what you are buying then do your dealing.

I just wonder how many unsuspecting people have fell into the same trap thinking we were getting one thing and got something else.

Enough said. I cleaned the mower deck down today and did not have a square foot of paint left on the whole mower that was bonded to the metal. So I will take it and get a good sand blast then prime it with Extend and give it a couple good coats of paint.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I've seen many times were people buy the box store Deere or Cub and want to do more with it only to find out they are limited due to it's just a lawn mower.Think about what you want to due with it whether it's now or in the future.You don't have to get the attachment now but at least get a tractor that will handle the future attachments.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've seen many times were people buy the box store Deere or Cub and want to do more with it only to find out they are limited due to it's just a lawn mower.Think about what you want to due with it whether it's now or in the future.You don't have to get the attachment now but at least get a tractor that will handle the future attachments.
A lot of times guys think that Deere green means it can do more. Thats not the case.
Like someone else said, if you want cheap, it doesnt matter what color it is, its still cheap.
Things built to a low price point arent built to last forever. Many times they are built to outlast the warranty, and thats about it.
Deere is hoping your dealer is smart enough to talk you into something else, but thats not the case.
Also, if you come in telling a dealer what price you want to spend, that takes a lot of upgraded options off the playing field. Or if you come in with a specific model in mind, they may think you have already done your homework and know what you want, so there is little point to wasting time trying to up-sell you to a bigger, stronger, or more expensive unit. Should they be that way? Well, they should at least be asking questions, but having dealt with retail customers before, I know first hand that many people only want what they want, and no amount of talking is going to change anything, except in some cases, trying to sell someone what they need instead of what they want sometimes ends up in a lost sale, which isnt always bad, since the last thing any salesman or dealer wants is a customer badmouthing a dealer because he got exactly what he asked for. That leads to other issues to, and is likely due to not knowing what one needs, but not trusting the salesman to steer them in the right direction. Not saying that Ive seen it on this forum, but I think most of us who have been around tractors of any size have seen this a time or two.

I think a lot of people these days dont understand the difference between machines either, and dealers are no help, because they dont really know any more than the customer most times.
Most of the smaller stuff is simply lawn mowers. All the "MTD" type stuff is nothing more than a mower. They arent designed to pull much except a small utility cart. Some of these can use front blades or snow blowers, but really, they arent designed to last a long time doing it.
Then theres the lawn tractor. They are generally beefier units all around, and can pull a larger load. These will last longer using front implements.
Then theres the garden tractor. They are much heavier built than the others, and its easy to see, as they are usually much larger too. They are built for ground engaging equipment (tillers, single bottom plows, etc) and will last a VERY long time (if cared for) doing all kinds of hard work that would destroy the other two.

What most guys want is a garden tractor, but what they end up with is a lawn mower, quite often because of price and the fact that the dealer cant articulate the reasons they might want to stay away from the smaller machines.
I believe Deere has compounded the issue too by offering so many options now that didnt used to exist.
In the 80s, you had a few choices. The little 100 series were riding mowers, 200 series lawn tractors, 300 and 400 series garden tractors.
Each group only had a few models to choose from.
Now each step is marginally better than the next, making choices more difficult and confusing for new owners than it should be.
9 different E series tractors.
2 S240 series.
8 X300 series, some with multiple deck options.
4 X500 series, some with multiple deck options (this is more in line with their old lineups)
7 X700 series.
30 different tractors in there. This makes it hard for anyone to know all the differences between models, let alone a customer new to Deere.
I guess Im more a "simpler is better" kinda guy.
I think it would be a fairly simple task to cut about 10 models out of there, and just add a deck option on a different model.
But long gone are the days where an implement fit the front of a tractor from 1968 and 1990, and every model in between.

Wow, that went way off topic....:hide:

To the OP, when you get it repainted, dont ever use the deck wash nozzle on it. They do more harm than good on decks.
Also, just something to keep in mind, but if its stored in an area with high humidity, rust will get it much faster.
That reminds me. I need to get my shed ventilated....

·
Registered
408 Posts
To those here that like to spend their hard earned money on the "most expensive" paint on earth, just keep buying it from JD dealer. But, I got wise and found the exact color that matches that expensive paint at the Lowe's stores. It is listed as Rust-Oleum and it says "Farm & Implement as John Deere Yellow and John Deere Green. Good thing is, it is only $3.99 for a 12 oc. can. Buy some and you never go back to the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
To those here that like to spend their hard earned money on the "most expensive" paint on earth, just keep buying it from JD dealer. But, I got wise and found the exact color that matches that expensive paint at the Lowe's stores. It is listed as Rust-Oleum and it says "Farm & Implement as John Deere Yellow and John Deere Green. Good thing is, it is only $3.99 for a 12 oc. can. Buy some and you never go back to the expensive stuff.
So anyone buying Deeres paint is basically not smart enough to know there is a different option? Seems like a poor argument.
Besides the wasting money part, there are several options out there for those who dont want the exact same color and quality. Majic, Krylon, and even Valspar (who makes Deeres paint) makes their own version of it.
None of them are of the same quality as Deeres paint.
Ive used them all in search of a good substitute over the last 20 years. Now I just stick to buying it at the dealer. I still sometimes get the urge to cheap out and get something else thinking that maybe, after reading posts like yours, that Ive somehow missed something, but every time I find out that my initial thought was correct. Stick to the good stuff if you want the good results. Most recently, I painted my imitation heavy hitch with Rustoleums Deere green. Guess what? Its actually a shade darker than Deeres own green.
Before that, I painted a set of wheels with their yellow. There too, not as bright.
The Valspar is the closest match Ive found, but the solid content is very low, meaning you need a lot more of it to go as far as a can of Deeres paint.

If you dont mind being a shade off, have at it, but really, you arent saving the huge money you think you are.
About a year ago I repainted several suitcase weights with Rustoleum (bought a couple cans when I painted the hitch). Got 4 of them with one can. Once I compared them to the factory paint, I decided to do it over with Deeres paint. Painting exactly the same after prep, I got 4 done and had quite a bit left using Deeres.

I keep saying Im going to make up a board to paint and compare tints on all these money saving "exact match" paints, and then never get around to it.
I believe Ill add it to my Spring "to do" list this year, as every time someone tells me X brand paint is an exact match, I always wonder what the heck they are comparing it to, because side by side, to my eye there isnt one out of a spray can.

But like you implied, its your money, spend it how you see fit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John Deere Paint

I was thru with this subject but now feel like I need to add my 2 bits worth. Like opinions that is just what it is worth

For someone who has worked with JD both farming and selling for more years than a lot of you have been alive and having a brother who retired from a paint company who sold paint to JD I want to add my 2 bits.

First color cannot be patented nor can sound. John Deere tried on their paint and lost big. Harley tried on their rumble sound and also lost.

Second JD buys paint in large qtys. and and when mixing 5000 or so gal you can get a good color on lots of pieces of equipment but it's very hard to make the next batch exact. Today's new process and controls you can get very clost but not perfect. The paint company my brother worked for mixed their paint and their over runs became paint for their spray cans. Since there is very little paint in a spray can a few gal of paint will go a very long way. (The company he work for did not always get the contract on JD's paint. It varied from year to year with every new contract)

Third materials except paint different and makes a difference in shades even tho it comes from the same can of paint. Aluminum and steel except paint different so shades are likely to happen.

Forth material prep and undercoat is one of the most important factors in any paint quality and shading.

Our old place is now leased but some of dads old practices are still used, after crops were finished all machinery came into the shop cleaned and refinished if needed. Usually one or more tractor, combine, cotton picker got a new coat of paint. Even tho tractors and machinery are much bigger these days this man still does it.

With all the tractors and equipment we have gone thru over the years (all brands) setting side by side you can see a different in paint shades.

With all that said I am still partial to JD and I know they use lots of money and time trying to control their image but they are sure not perfect. It just seems sometimes they really make some very dumb decisions.

So each to his own sometimes it is just not worth it to spend a lot more than necessary to keep something from rusting and looking good or just no need for a large dollar purchase. Like me just own up to bad judgement and do better next time. No matter if it is a 2,000$ purchase or a 200,000$ purchase. Just use your own judgement and hope it is the best for you.

I'm thru.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Valspar supplies JD paint, correct? Ive been buying Valspar JD green and yellow and its pretty darn close.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 1548 land plane
Land Pride RTR 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660 finish mower
Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
Frontier af10f front manual angle blade
Victory EF155 flail mower

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
The reason your mower deck didn't have any primer is because most are not spraying, but rather powder coating. Typically, powder coating yields great results, with thorough coverage in the cracks and crevices--without runs.

We have a local sandblast shop that also powder coats. They powder in JD yellow and green. I had them do a used cab I purchased for one of my 455s a few years ago. It looked absolutely awesome and the durability was great. Moreover, I couldn't touch it for the price they did it for.

You may want to consider something similar.

DSCF1494.JPG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts