Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider this a "tool" so that's I why a posted here. A thread on a WW forum I just saw reminded me of these. I personally have been using the Bose QC2 headphones for years (before these came out) but a friend has these (per my recommendation from reviews on TBN) and loves them.

If you enjoy music while tractor'in...give them a try:
John Deere Active Noise Canceling Headphones
Model # GX22225
Internet # 202377429

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Looking for good ear protection with a radio.........

Mama wants to buy me something nice and i have been trying to scale it back a little. She was looking at noise canceling headphones and I don't think I need something that expensive.

What I am looking for is a nice pair of headphones that I can wear while mowing the lawn that would allow me to listen to the radio. It would be a bonus if I could plug my phone in to them for Pandora or pair them with blue tooth.

Suggestions?

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got a set of the jd ones a couple weeks ago. They really do work as they say. I've been using just earplugs for years but that gets boring. The music does not have to be cranked to hear it.

But old habits/paranoia still kick in. I don't put them on until I've bad the pto on for a few minutes. Just to make sure I don't miss any noises that shouldn't be there!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Homedepot.com??

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I received the box from Home Depot in 2 days. I was out of town so I just got to test them out today.

I was surprised with the package. It was something you would expect to see at the John Deere dealer. Very nice looking and very easy to open. The plastic was precut to open up so everything slid out nice. The "kit" includes the noise canceling headset, the wire to hook up a radio with many different attachments, and a nice case.

I put them on in the house and I got the small quite hum that most headsets produce once they are put on. The noise you get when you put your hands over your ears. I hit the switch to turn them on and it was dead silent. I could still hear people talking to me, but any and all background noise was dead silent. I will bring these in if I was working and my wife was vacuuming, I would not hear the vacuum.

So, out to the z920. I started it up with the headphones on but the noise cancel off. I was surprised as to how loud the motor was with the headset on. I revved it up to about 1/2 throttle and I could hear the engine almost as good as if they were off. It was odd. I hit the switch and the hum part of the engine went away, but I was still able to hear most of the engine, just not as loud. I hit the PTO, and I should say, the 60" 7 iron pro deck sounds like an airplane, and I hit full throttle. The deck noise was gone but I was still able to hear the motor in the background. It was the perfect balance as I believe you would be able to hear if you are bogging the motor or if something was going wrong. I turned on Pandora on my cell phone and went on my way. The music was able to be on low volume and it was clear. The music was of high quality and the lows were present.

As I mowed the lawn, I could still hear when I got a wood chip in the mower or if I hit a pinecone. Very nice IMHO since most "ting" noises were very clear. This is the first time I have ever listened to the radio while mowing lawn. I always have it the tractor and I feel spoiled. Mowing was much more relaxing to me since I like my radio time.

I don't think I have a large head, but I do have to have the headset extended all the way for it to fit me. People with big heads might have issues. I wish it took AA batteries instead of a single AAA. There is room for more batteries. I assumed that headset would muffle more noise, but it's not really needed. Also, this set is made in china.

Overall, after using them for one hour, I highly recommend them and would rate them at a 9 /10. I hope they do not eat batteries, but they are still worth it if they do.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great review Brian:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great write up! I've used mine for about six or seven hours so far. Still using the battery that it came with. We'll see

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
So I have had a chance to use these doing other things than just mowing the lawn.

First, I have mowed 3 more times and they are the best thing I have purchased in a long time. I rate them a 9.5 out of 10.

I went out and used our small troy built tiller (pony)..... The headphones were perfect. I have never been so confortable in my life while tilling. No loud noise and I have good quality radio via pandora. The only thing that would be nice is bluetooth for cordless connection.

Then I was out with my Stihl FS130 trimming large weeds with the brushcutter around 3 acres of trees. Again, this was perfect. I could hear just enough of the motor to know if it was bogging or I needed more rpm, but no more. It was sweet. I did have to tuck the cord to my phone in my shoulder harness, but it was well, well worth it.

I am thinking of purchasing a few more to have around the house. If we have more people out in the field or for the kids.

I cannot say enough good about these!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can't believe I went this long without them! I was mowing and received a call. Went ahead and answered. I could hear him fine and he said he could hear fine too. Try it, sucks you gotta hold iPhone by your mouth but it worked.

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can't believe I went this long without them! I was mowing and received a call. Went ahead and answered. I could hear him fine and he said he could hear fine too. Try it, sucks you gotta hold iPhone by your mouth but it worked.
I have done the very same thing with my Bose QC2's and the iPhone...very cool indeed!:bye2:

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I have had a chance to use these doing other things than just mowing the lawn.

First, I have mowed 3 more times and they are the best thing I have purchased in a long time. I rate them a 9.5 out of 10.

I went out and used our small troy built tiller (pony)..... The headphones were perfect. I have never been so confortable in my life while tilling. No loud noise and I have good quality radio via pandora. The only thing that would be nice is bluetooth for cordless connection.

Then I was out with my Stihl FS130 trimming large weeds with the brushcutter around 3 acres of trees. Again, this was perfect. I could hear just enough of the motor to know if it was bogging or I needed more rpm, but no more. It was sweet. I did have to tuck the cord to my phone in my shoulder harness, but it was well, well worth it.

I am thinking of purchasing a few more to have around the house. If we have more people out in the field or for the kids.

I cannot say enough good about these!
Glad I could help turn you on to them...awaiting royalty check now:laugh:

Please note that I merged the two threads also.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
This thread is a great help to me. I've been using the ear plugs to combat the engine noise on the 4320 but have never been truly satisfied. Thanks for the recommendation.

Question: Can you plug your Ipod into these headphones?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yup you can. Hi Uncle Wayne:hi: Best thing you can get for seat time. Only problem is I can't fit my straw over em.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts