Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm going to be using one of the above mentioned for fencing around the garden to keep out the deer. Will be using the 1025R, watched a lot of video's, read a few articles. Seems to me that some people implied that the JD PHD100, due to it's sizing overall works better on the somewhat limited augering abilities of the 1026R. I see it is around 500 dollars more the Countyline, but willing to pony up if it really makes that much difference.

I have a lot of fence posts to put in, will be using a 6" auger for the majority of the holes, from what the neighbors say, there are zero rocks here in our area. Sandy, loamy soil, no roots. Quite a contrast from the last place. :yahoo:

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the John Deere phd 100 and it worked just fine for me. But just my 2 cents I would buy the 9 inch auger. I also have sandy soil and when I put in about 600 feet of fence useing 4x4 posts I started with the 6 inch auger and after I had about 10 of them done I went and bought the 9 inch to give me a little more room to set the posts in a much straighter line. You have to do a little more tamping but it was worth it to have a perfectly straight fence. It's been through 2 hurricanes and is still as straight as an arrow. Also, I put 6x6 posts on each end and corners and you'll need the 9 inch for that.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between the PHDs themselves.

The "biggie" is that the Frontier augers (PHA006, PHA009, etc..) are 36" long.

The augers that Tractor Supply sells are either 42" or 48" long. That can create some issues with the limited 3pt lift height on the 1-series tractors.

But you can use the Frontier augers on the Tractor Supply (aka County Line) PHD if you wanted to.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Phd100

We have two post hole diggers - a 100 (for my 1025) and a 200 (for our 3038). Neither are the JD. Both work great. We use the 6", 9" and 12" augers. The tips on the augers are replaceable making cutting a lot easier. Also, use only a grade 2 shear bolt. Be careful how high you lift the boom because you can pull the PTO shaft apart. I believe Ask Tractor Mike has a good video on that problem on You Tube. Enjoy!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between the PHDs themselves.

The "biggie" is that the Frontier augers (PHA006, PHA009, etc..) are 36" long.

The augers that Tractor Supply sells are either 42" or 48" long. That can create some issues with the limited 3pt lift height on the 1-series tractors.

But you can use the Frontier augers on the Tractor Supply (aka County Line) PHD if you wanted to.
Jim is right about that. The 9 inch auger drags the ground at full height.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I talked my JD salesman, got the PHD 100 for 1000 + 250 ish for the 9" auger. = 1300.00 But, I only wanna go down 36" max on the fence posts. But I would not be dragging the auger behind me.

Tractor Supply has the County Line for 550.00 + 139.00 for the 9" auger = 750.00 out the door.

Or Countyline PHD, with the JD 9" auger, 550.00 + 250.00 = 800 out the door.

Have to think about this.:dunno:

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the Rotomec PHD100 that I purchased from my JD dealer for my 1025R, but only the PHD, no augers. Please keep in mind that the augers are pretty much universal with a 2 inch round shaft diameter, don't buy them from JD. My salesman was a little baffled that I did not buy any augers from him with the PHD I bought. I waited till Tractor Supply had them on sale and got the 9 inch for around $100 and the 12 inch for $120. The 1025 will drag the augers at full lift, but it really is not big deal.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Better yet look for used, a lot of them out there.....I just got a worksaver standard duty digger with 9” auger for $400.00
Was a older unit but in great shape w little use

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Does the County Line have a downforce option? If so, that is something to consider, since the PHD100 doesn't (and I often wish it did :laugh:).

·
Super Moderator
2,587 Posts
I believe down force is accomplished by the 3 point, not the post hole digger.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The Frontier PHD200 and up definitely have a downforce kit option specifically made for the PHD that isn't available for the PHD100.

Apparently on bigger tractors there are options for a 3 point downforce kit for the lift arms, but not for the 1025r from what I have seen. I would love to be wrong. If anyone knows where to find one, I would appreciate a pointer!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Frontier PHD200 and up definitely have a downforce kit option specifically made for the PHD that isn't available for the PHD100.

Apparently on bigger tractors there are options for a 3 point downforce kit for the lift arms, but not for the 1025r from what I have seen. I would love to be wrong. If anyone knows where to find one, I would appreciate a pointer!
I apologize for continuing this slightly off topic from the OP, but I don't see why you couldn't find a way to use a down pressure kit from another manufacturer. Most designs are pretty similar. Its possible to find one that would bolt right up. As far as 3pt downforce, I doubt there is real estate on a 1025 for this.

·
Administrator
18,493 Posts

There is no down pressure other than gravity on the 3PH.

·
Super Moderator
2,587 Posts
There is no down pressure other than gravity on the 3PH.
I guess that's what I meant, at least for the 1025. Do larger tractors have downforce type 3 points?

·
Administrator
18,493 Posts
Do larger tractors have downforce type 3 points?
Very few.

One issue with down force is that you will take weigh off of the tires, thereby reducing traction. Obviously that is not an issue to with a PHD, but for pulled implements it sure it.

·
Premium Member
13,033 Posts
I guess that's what I meant, at least for the 1025. Do larger tractors have downforce type 3 points?
Yes... with some larger models it may be standard but with a majority it is an option. You start to see down force options when you get to 5 and 6-series and above.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I apologize for continuing this slightly off topic from the OP, but I don't see why you couldn't find a way to use a down pressure kit from another manufacturer. Most designs are pretty similar. Its possible to find one that would bolt right up. As far as 3pt downforce, I doubt there is real estate on a 1025 for this.

It's OK, I think it is relevant. I saw a video where a guy added one on to his PHD100. I'll look for it and try to post it here.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Why not just buy the less expensive Country Line PHD, and buy a 36" or 40" auger bit for it. You do not need to use a country line 48" auger bit on the country line PHD. They all have the same 2" output shaft. Use whatever auger bit you want on it. Here is a 36" long 9" auger bit you can put on whatever PHD you want: RanchEx 9 in. Compact Auger at Tractor Supply Co.

Also don't forget to keep a 24" PHD reversing device with the digger just in case it gets stuck. And keep a bag of shear bolts in the box too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check out everything attachments

Everything attachments has a model called the land shark thats actually made for sub compacts a 9" is $809 with free shipping up to 1000 miles away

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hear is one of the videos I saw, still looking back for the other. Was on my phone I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts