Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the dealer today to pick up, blower chain oil, blowers gear box oil, a second drift blade and extra shear bolts. I mentioned to the "adjuster", that after my tractor was dropped off from another warrenty repair (2 days ago), that I reinstalled the backhoe. I told her that after swiveling the seat around, that I found a hex nipple with springs on each end and clips that have a tiny ball bearing with press fit pins, hanging unattached on one end. The parts guy went in the back and came out with the exact part that is broken from a previous repair. I told them, just sell me or order the part, it's not worth the transport fee to have you guys fix it. They shook thier heads and said its a $700.00 part. My jaw dropped! Entire seat assembly has to be changed because Deere parted out the build, they f&@ing cheaped out to China! It's covered under warrenty but now it's another pick up, transport bill and tractor gone for at least over a week or two. Staff was great and totally cool explaining things. They said this is a common problem and guys just out of warrenty have gotten whacked with, transport fee, $700.00 seat carriage fee and labor. Shaking my head! Fourth transport fee for minor stuff covered under warranty.

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
5$ part - so who cares !

If you don't like the policy, or price, then don't buy a JD. That is the only way to get the Corporate's attention. In the meantime, improvise, as the other post suggested. No sympathy here (grin).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys

Did some detective work, this piece breaking seems to be a common occurrence on the 1025. My tractor is getting picked up Tuesday to have it fixed under warrenty. What I am going to do is follow the leads I have been given on the forum and order some spares and or fabricate replacement setup.

Thanks again,
Don

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Stopped by the dealer today to pick up, blower chain oil, blowers gear box oil, a second drift blade and extra shear bolts. I mentioned to the "adjuster", that after my tractor was dropped off from another warrenty repair (2 days ago), that I reinstalled the backhoe. I told her that after swiveling the seat around, that I found a hex nipple with springs on each end and clips that have a tiny ball bearing with press fit pins, hanging unattached on one end. The parts guy went in the back and came out with the exact part that is broken from a previous repair. I told them, just sell me or order the part, it's not worth the transport fee to have you guys fix it. They shook thier heads and said its a $700.00 part. My jaw dropped! Entire seat assembly has to be changed because Deere parted out the build, they f&@ing cheaped out to China! It's covered under warrenty but now it's another pick up, transport bill and tractor gone for at least over a week or two. Staff was great and totally cool explaining things. They said this is a common problem and guys just out of warrenty have gotten whacked with, transport fee, $700.00 seat carriage fee and labor. Shaking my head! Fourth transport fee for minor stuff covered under warranty.
Time to invest in a trailer. At least you won't get whacked for transportation fees and I bet you find all kinds of uses for the trailer. Your experience makes me think JD has been taking procurement advice from the government! :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Our local dealer, James River Equipment, has a fantastic technician with an equally impressive service truck. On my father's 5065e, everything that has need attention (brake issue that seems common, loader valve problem, temperature sensor) has happened right here, at the house. We've never had to transport. Inquire if they have mobile service. That's a pathetic policy, forcing the owner to pay for transportation when it's a Deere issue.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I am surprised that your seal swivel linkage rod broke since you have a 2016 tractor. The seat swivel was supposed to have been updated??!! :dunno:

Anyway, my 1025R seat swivel linkage rod broke twice. Once under warranty and the second time out of warranty.

Knowing that the problem is the cheap rod ends that JD uses, I resourced the same size rod end at McMaster-Carr and repaired my own. It is really an easy fix. So far, my new improved repair is holding up well.

1025R TLB Swivel Seat Linkage Rod

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
That's a pathetic policy, forcing the owner to pay for transportation when it's a Deere issue.

The dealer is a separate entity from JD. A really basic explanation is your dealer does the warranty work and then sends Deere the bill. JD has a system and a set of rules about what they will pay for and what they won't. John Deere does not cover transportation under warranty, and I'm not aware of any ag equipment manufacturer that does. Some dealers will cover it out of their own pocket as a courtesy to the customer but most do not.

A couple of members here have found that purchasing the extended warranty through their dealer did include transport coverage. I don't know if that was a program through the individual dealership or JD, but it might be worth checking on.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
The dealer is a separate entity from JD. A really basic explanation is your dealer does the warranty work and then sends Deere the bill. JD has a system and a set of rules about what they will pay for and what they won't. John Deere does not cover transportation under warranty, and I'm not aware of any equipment manufacturer that does. Some dealers will cover it out of their own pocket as a courtesy to the customer but most do not.

A couple of members here have found that purchasing the extended warranty through their dealer did include transport coverage. I don't know if that was a program through the individual dealership or JD, but it might be worth checking on.
Agreed with Blake.... warranty policy is dictated by the manufacturer, not the dealer. Requiring warranty to be done at the dealers shop is not abnormal for equipment except for large equipment but even then, manufacturers usually limit how much they will pay for travel.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
The dealer is a separate entity from JD. A really basic explanation is your dealer does the warranty work and then sends Deere the bill. JD has a system and a set of rules about what they will pay for and what they won't. John Deere does not cover transportation under warranty, and I'm not aware of any equipment manufacturer that does. Some dealers will cover it out of their own pocket as a courtesy to the customer but most do not.

yeah-i was equally bummed out clear back in 2006 to find out, that i would have to bring it back to the dealer for any warranty work to be done. but luckily i had a trailer, so i was just out time and gas. i suppose my expectations was too high, as i had never bought a brand new tractor before. i was used to the mechanics with their service trucks always being on the jobs to fix our equipment. if our company mechanics couldn't fix it, then the Cat mechanics was called it to fix the machine. so i was really shocked when i realized JD wouldn't come to my house:laugh: to fix things. but i lived thru them days, as will the rest of uns too.:good2: just my 2cts as i lived it.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
yeah-i was equally bummed out clear back in 2006 to find out, that i would have to bring it back to the dealer for any warranty work to be done. but luckily i had a trailer, so i was just out time and gas. i suppose my expectations was too high, as i had never bought a brand new tractor before. i was used to the mechanics with their service trucks always being on the jobs to fix our equipment. if our company mechanics couldn't fix it, then the Cat mechanics was called it to fix the machine. so i was really shocked when i realized JD wouldn't come to my house:laugh: to fix things. but i lived thru them days, as will the rest of uns too.:good2: just my 2cts as i lived it.
Jim,
Large equipment dealers and larger tractor dealers surely have field service techs. I was one for 18 years! Even with field service technicians, many mfg. only pay so much for travel time and mileage for warranty work. Some mfg. do not pay anything for travel and mileage. Of course then it is up to the dealer as to whether they want to pay for the mileage and travel labor to do the warranty work.
It must be said, if you buy for price only, this is why the cheaper dealer will usually offer the lower price. Not much after the sale extras! Any extra that a dealer offers comes out of their profit.

I am sure if a JD dealer has field service techs, they will be more than happy to come to your house to do the repairs. Of course, they will charge you mileage and travel labor.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Does Lowes offer free, at home, service for the machines they sell?
Does Honda, Toyota, Chevy, or any car dealer offer such service?

Why would anyone expect a JD dealer to be totally different than any other company.

If your car breaks down,, even if the dealer offers free towing,
most times you have to arrange to go get the car after repairs.

The Honda dealer I use offers "free shuttle" service,,,
if you live within a few miles of the dealer.
I am well beyond that distance.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Does Lowes offer free, at home, service for the machines they sell?
Does Honda, Toyota, Chevy, or any car dealer offer such service?

Why would anyone expect a JD dealer to be totally different than any other company.

If your car breaks down,, even if the dealer offers free towing,
most times you have to arrange to go get the car after repairs.

The Honda dealer I use offers "free shuttle" service,,,
if you live within a few miles of the dealer.
I am well beyond that distance.

:dunno:
Yep
Until you get up into large heavy equipment and large farming equipment, all bets are off.
It would be interesting to know where the road service begins in the JD tractor line.:dunno:

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Jim,
Large equipment dealers and larger tractor dealers surely have field service techs. I was one for 18 years! Even with field service technicians, many mfg. only pay so much for travel time and mileage for warranty work. Some mfg. do not pay anything for travel and mileage. Of course then it is up to the dealer as to whether they want to pay for the mileage and travel labor to do the warranty work.
It must be said, if you buy for price only, this is why the cheaper dealer will usually offer the lower price. Not much after the sale extras! Any extra that a dealer offers comes out of their profit.

I am sure if a JD dealer has field service techs, they will be more than happy to come to your house to do the repairs. Of course, they will charge you mileage and travel labor.
Ray-Pa.--u must of mistook how i meant my reply to come out. of course JD has road mechanics, and they also showed up at my house, for 1) some warranty work, and 2)i paid them mileage and hourly rate once they got here, for other issues i wanted a mechanic their for. the same as when CAT sent their mechanics out to our jobs. i guess where i wasn't thinking when i bought mine, was--i just thought they was gonna come to ME!! but if i would of thought better, that was why we had our own in house mechanics--why-because to keep the cost down, compared to what CAT charged just to come out to the job.

i have no problem taking my tractor to the dealer for whatever work they gotta perform, if i can't do it at home.

and i also agree on --when u buy a vehicle u must take it back to the dealer for work too. so a tractor should not be any different. when i purchased this Femco roof from my JD dealer the sale's man offered to send a field mechanic to install it. so i thought-ok i may as well pull the trigger on the 3pt spreader, and maybe he can bring it along at the same time. and as far as i know that is the plan. if something happens, i can travel to them, if they want to mount it for the same price, i am not against that at all. sorry for the mistaken reply's.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Ray-Pa.--u must of mistook how i meant my reply to come out. of course JD has road mechanics, and they also showed up at my house, for 1) some warranty work, and 2)i paid them mileage and hourly rate once they got here, for other issues i wanted a mechanic their for. the same as when CAT sent their mechanics out to our jobs. i guess where i wasn't thinking when i bought mine, was--i just thought they was gonna come to ME!! but if i would of thought better, that was why we had our own in house mechanics--why-because to keep the cost down, compared to what CAT charged just to come out to the job.

i have no problem taking my tractor to the dealer for whatever work they gotta perform, if i can't do it at home.

and i also agree on --when u buy a vehicle u must take it back to the dealer for work too. so a tractor should not be any different. when i purchased this Femco roof from my JD dealer the sale's man offered to send a field mechanic to install it. so i thought-ok i may as well pull the trigger on the 3pt spreader, and maybe he can bring it along at the same time. and as far as i know that is the plan. if something happens, i can travel to them, if they want to mount it for the same price, i am not against that at all. sorry for the mistaken reply's.
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts