Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was hoping that we'd get enough of snow overnight that I could actually test this out, but that didn't happen, we only got a dusting here :( Anyway, then I'll post up some pics of this John Deere Quick Attach plow for my new 2520. As I said in a past post I was going to purchase a Curtis QA plow, but as luck would have it my dealer called me one day to tell me that he had something to show me and I should stop by. So when I get there he shows me this quick attach plow made by John Deere. At the time I had no idea that JD even made one, I thought there was only Curtis and Horst. So he tells me that Deere did make them in the past, but have since stopped making them. He actually had sold this plow with a tractor about 6 or 7 years ago. The guy that bought it never used it, sat in his garage all these years. So its still in like new condition.
The plow is all black, not sure why they didn't make it green but black is fine. It has dual angle cylinders with dual hydraulic connections on each. It also has what's called a swinging bracket. When the blade is in contact with the ground, this swing bracket should be in the middle of its travel. So with it in the middle of the travel, there is room to move both forward or back when sliding over the ground. This is how the blade actually floats, there is actually a pin stored on the blade that you can insert in the other hole in this bracket if you don't want the blade to float. Can't think why I would want that but okay its a feature i guess.
For the most part i do understand how it works and i'm really hoping for some snow to test it out. My dealer says it works much better then the Curtis I would have paid $2100 more for. I'll try to answer your questions if I can so feel free.
Hard to explain in words so I'll post some pics.

Vehicle Agricultural machinery Plough Grass Trailer

Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Construction equipment Pipe

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery

Vehicle Automotive exterior Tire Bumper Agricultural machinery

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,173 Posts
Great pictures Rich, I hope this works well for you.

What are your hydrauilc lines plugged into (how are you controlling the angle of the plow)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your hydrauilc lines plugged into (how are you controlling the angle of the plow)?
Ken the angle is controlled by the curl circuit. I disconnect the black and yellow lines from the FEL and connect the black and yellow lines for the plow. I lose the ability to curl but I don't think thats going to be an issue. If I wanted to, I could add another SCV to the tractor, it would have been number 3 since 2 is the power beyond for the hoe. The price for the 3rd is $760 and dealer told me 2.5 hours labor to install it, would have been just about $1000 to add that. All to get the ability to curl the plow? Na I don't think it worth that kind of money.
Maybe one day we will actually get a measurable snow fall and I'll be able to try it out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
2 Year FEL Plow Update

So now that I've been using this for a few years I have to say that it does the job quite well. I have used this to move snow from every storm we have had since I got it 2 years ago. Including the blizzard of 2013, it moved that much snow with out an issue, the problem I had was I had to remove this and put the bucket on to make room for more snow!
The important part to get this to work right is to make sure your FEL is set to float, as long as your in float mode this baby will push snow forever. My driveway is about 150' long and a slight uphill grade, I can pull out of the garage with the blade down and push up the driveway to the road in one swipe without an issue. I can push snow up to the height of the FEL reach which is about 7' high, that's a serious size snow pile.
I did end up putting the 3rd SCV on the tractor and I now have the ability to angle this baby left or right with a joy stick mounted near my 3pt controls.
As far as using this to back blade? I drop the blade down where i want it, put pressure on it by lifting the front wheels off the ground and backup, it does a great job at pulling the snow away from the garage doors or from cars or any other obstacle.
My one beef with this is the metal cutting edge will dig up your driveway if your not careful. I am in the process of replacing the metal edge with a UHMW poly edge, that will solve that problem.
Ohh I am running no chains on front or back of my 2520 and I have no extra front end weights and the tires are not loaded. When plowing I usually am in MFWD that's all I need.
I don't know why John Deere doesn't make this model any longer, it was indeed a well thought out design and does the intended job very well. You can get 3rd party versions made by Curtis or HLA

All in all its a great plow and it works great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.