Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ! I have owned 6/8 John Deere tractors and they all have one major flaw that drives me crazy. Everyone with a yellow seat will turn BLACK no matter what you do to it . My 2018 1025R is 1 week shy of 6 months old and its starting to turn BLACK . Problem is I can't find anything that cleans it off. I have tried everything -seat cover,armorall,its washed and dried after every use and kept in the garage. My 100e cheap Deere mower it turned BLACK in 2 months i tried to clean it with liquid pool chlorine what did i get NOTHING takes this stuff off. Still love my tractor but wish i could keep the seat nice. Anyone have any luck cleaning it ?:flag_of_truce: Sorry I thought I was surrendering:lolol:

·
Premium Member
12,699 Posts
It sounds like it might be something on your clothing. Over the years my X500 and 2720 seats have gotten a little dirty but nothing a little Fantastik or Simple Green wouldn't take care of.

My previous tractor was a JD 175 Hydro and while the seat started to crack after 15 years, it never turned black.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ever since I used Krud Kutter to clean my seat (it was very effective) it has attracted more and more dirt. That stuff did something to the vinyl to make it more sticky, using it was a mistake.

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
I buy the seat covers and wash them when dirty and throw them away when the washer won't clean them. I wear a gun holster which has a metal clip near my right rear pocket and the metal is hard on the seat covers and seats.

Have you ever tried a boating product called "Roll Off"? Its in a spray bottle and its for cleaning boat exteriors and canvas as well as seats, etc. I have found few things which work as well. It has some type of wax in it which makes future cleanings easier. It takes off the scum line on the hull as well as the mold and mildew on canvas and seats.

I learned of this for my boat, but now use it on cars, I even washed my zero turn mower today with it. Its very good. Some cleaners seem to attract dirt after use. I never found that to be the case with roll off....

I would imagine any boat store sells it or you can order it online......

AMAZING ROLL-OFF QUARTS - Walmart.com

·
Registered
837 Posts
When I lived up in Pennsylvania the first year we kept our boat in a slip at a marina on the Chesapeake Bay. I didn't know you were supposed to bottom paint a boat that was left in the water at that time.:banghead: We pulled it out of the water after a month and the brackish water had really done a number to the gel coat on the bottom. It took me several days but it looked like new after using oxyclean mixed with a little water and a good brush. That may work for you.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I had some nasty black spots on my yellow seat once. I took a little Acetone and a rag it wiped right off and looked new! Just don't get carried away with it cause it can soften the plastic till it evaporates. Just a little on the rag and wipe quick let dry and your done. Never hurt my seat when I did it but sure made it look new again!

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
It sounds like it might be something on your clothing. Over the years my X500 and 2720 seats have gotten a little dirty but nothing a little Fantastik or Simple Green wouldn't take care of.

My previous tractor was a JD 175 Hydro and while the seat started to crack after 15 years, it never turned black.
I'll second this notion, we replaced the seat on our 2555 a couple of years ago, almost 30 years old, not a lot of seat material left but what was there was still yellow. So when we did replace it it only seemed right to buy another seat from the dealer, we got our money's worth out the original.:thumbup1gif:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Mean green when needed.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Being that the seat is brite yellow and some kind of vinyl it will require scheduled cleaning to stay clean looking. The real bad black marks comes off with a spray of carburetor cleaner on a rag.

Another option would be to dye the vinyl black so when it gets marked up it woun’t show as much. I changed the seat on my tractor to an aftermarket with better back support and it is black. I kinda prefer the more subdued black now vs the yellow.

The rest of the tractor cleans up easy with a hose and quick wipe down with Maguires detail spray and a micro fiber towel.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
When I was a boy, my father was the parts/service manager at the local Dodge dealership. So Saturday mornings during the school year and a few days a week in the summer had me at the dealership prepping new cars and detailing used cars. Back then, vinyl roof tops came on just about every car and Detroit hadn't learned quality matters. So it was common to have new cars arrive with glue all over the roof vinyl/surrounding body panels and grease spots in the upholstery.

We used Prep-sol (wax & grease remover) to take care of the grease spots. The glue and other more difficult mars would be taken care of with enamel reducer. There wasn't much the enamel reducer wouldn't remove and not attack the paint finish, vinyl or upholstery. To this day, I still keep a gallon of each Prep-Sol and enamel reducer in the workshop for just such tasks. My bride has found it handy for removing mars, such as black heel marks from floors.

Before I added the seat cover, my tractor seat would also acquire black streak marks that wouldn't wash off. The enamel reducer would wipe them away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just got rid of a 1983 JD420 and the seat was as yellow as could be. My 2016 1025R is still yellow (albeit dirty) and I'm yet to wash it with anything, just an occasional rinsing with a hose.

Not sure why yours is turning black. That's really odd.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I think its like mildew but once its in the seat it does not come off I'm trying to load some pics
If it's mildew, mix a 50/50 solution of chlorine bleach and water in a pump spray bottle. Spray it on the mildew and let it sit. Typically, the mildew will be gone, without scrubbing or wiping, in less than a minute.

Mildew was common with the upholstery of our pontoon boat. I would scrub and scrub and nothing would cut it. I learned of the bleach mixture and I couldn't believe how quickly and effectively it worked! You do want to avoid getting on or standing on upholstery stitching. In time, it will cause the stitching to disintegrate.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,832 Posts
About 4 years with mine, no trouble with black, but the blue from my jeans does leach into it.

Been using 409 with a little rubbing to get it out.

Agree with another poster about mildew, Clorox makes a spray bottle that is 20% Clorox, (weak solution) that
shouldn't harm the vinyl but kill any mildew.

Have used it on my truck where mildew and algae wanted to form with the humid weather down here.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
About 4 years with mine, no trouble with black, but the blue from my jeans does leach into it.

Been using 409 with a little rubbing to get it out.

Agree with another poster about mildew, Clorox makes a spray bottle that is 20% Clorox, (weak solution) that
shouldn't harm the vinyl but kill any mildew.

Have used it on my truck where mildew and algae wanted to form with the humid weather down here.
Have you considered changing to bright yellow jeans?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,699 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,832 Posts
Have you considered changing to bright yellow jeans?:dunno:
Hell, I'd just as soon wear sweatpants then, throwing any pride in myself away. :banghead: :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts