1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have a feeling if I tried to make that it wouldn't come out so pretty good... Whoever made that one in the photo's is certainly talented.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My wife took a class on professional decorating of cakes MANY years ago.
Because of that class,, I found out what professionals use as icing,,, :flag_of_truce:

To keep the cake moist, the icing is a mixture of Crisco and powdered sugar.
the Crisco "seals" in the moisture to insure the cake will not taste dry, even after sitting for days.

I have never had professional cake since then,,,,
would you knowingly eat Crisco?? :dunno:

Well,,, cook some chicken in the Crisco,,, I am good to go!! :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Well, it's a work of art. She's a very talented cake chef!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I make a cream cheese frosting, no Crisco. It probably wouldn't hold up to making that tire cake, but nothing in it that I won't eat, and it will remain moist for 2 weeks. Some recipes for icing that do not contain the Crisco would work for that, and still remain moist. That recipe with Crisco is just the shortcut that they teach and use so that any professional can do it and have it remain moist, while saving a few pennies per serving.

I figure, if it took 16 minutes at fast forward speed to see the part they filmed, that doesn't include the mixing and baking of the cake batter, and making the icing, it would take me 12 hours to get it half finished, and I'd end up eating it before I finished it! :banghead:

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
That's really cool. I think I could do something similar with my artistic skills.

I sketched one up, looks just like it.... The sketch might look a little better than my final result.

Tire.jpg

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I do not have the talent, nor the patience for this, but y'all gotta admit, it is pretty amazing!

How to Make a John Deere Tire Cake
I owned several Baskin-Robbins 31 Store for years. My daughter did many of the ice cream cakes for two of the stores and got very good at it. Talent and hard work with ice cream and cakes together. This cake would have been fun to do.

:thumbup1gif:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
That's really cool. I think I could do something similar with my artistic skills.

I sketched one up, looks just like it.... The sketch might look a little better than my final result.

View attachment 189466
If I tried it mine would look worse then that. My wife used to make wedding cakes and any other kind people wanted but this tire cake...not any more. Take to long for her now, she can't stand in one place to long. Hard on her back.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Amazing indeed! I watched the video all the way through and didn't get bored! Better than an episode of Duck Dynasty or Jimmy Houston, a tractor pull or a re run of I Love Lucy!
Wait a minute...I love Lucy is hard to beat. :lolol:

Besides that's my wife's name.

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Wait a minute...I love Lucy is hard to beat. :lolol:

Besides that's my wife's name.
I agree Levi. We happen to live in Lucy's hometown and love watching the show. Our kids, yeah not so much. We are hoping they will appreciate it someday.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
My Grand daughter, age 20, is a big Lucy fan. She has quite a collection. She even named our little Boston terrier, "Lucy". We were planning on a "Ricky", but that didn't work out. I will admit, however, that I would watch a rerun of "I Love Lucy" before I would watch a rerun of "John Deere Cake".

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I agree Levi. We happen to live in Lucy's hometown and love watching the show. Our kids, yeah not so much. We are hoping they will appreciate it someday.
You make a good point. We didn't appreciate it at the time, but the tremendous talent that was available was amazing. Vaudeville was going belly up, and television was a new venue for the thousands of experienced professionals that had no place else to go. Red Skelton; Milton Berle, Bert Lahr, etc. etc. We had quality programming, albeit in fuzzy, bright black and white, but quality none the less. There's no way you can compare "I Love Lucy" with something like "naked and afraid".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts