Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Dave is into these plows :thumbup1gif:, but is anyone else on the forum interested in, or possibly own a John Deere model trailer type plow? Dave has got me interested in them and I plan to go look at one this weekend that is in great shape. Please post up any info or pictures you have on these!:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Cant really comment or help you out much until we know what model plow it is, but either way, if you're even considering getting into "trailer plowing" I'd strongly suggest buying the "Deere Dealer Days Vol. 2" DVD that is currently out...I believe it may actually be discontinued, but I dunno for sure.
Either way, on that DVD is a 20 min video produced BY Deere back in the day which covers setting up, using, adjusting, everything with these plows.

The thing that I loved the most was unlike other manuals and docs I've read on adjusting plows, the Deere video covers adjusting the hitch when used behind fixed tread machines like a CUT.

Just took a look and it hasnt been discontinued...its part of Assortment #1:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are the pictures of the one I looked at today. John Deere Three bottom. Not restored. Looks to be, to me, in great working order! Needs a cylinder to operate.

Ideas on what it is and what its worth.

Its sitting next to a 4 bottom that is also for sale. The 4 bottom had spoked wheels and was part way through restoration, but looked like the trip system was repaired a few too many times.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here are the pictures of the one I looked at today. John Deere Three bottom. Not restored. Looks to be, to me, in great working order! Needs a cylinder to operate.

Ideas on what it is and what its worth.

Its sitting next to a 4 bottom that is also for sale. The 4 bottom had spoked wheels and was part way through restoration, but looked like the trip system was repaired a few too many times.
The 2 bottom and 3 bottoms go for $200-$300 around here with no major breaks or welds, good life left in the shares and moldboards and coulters. Ken Sweet

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks like a #555 Brian..
I agree with Ken's value estimate...cant see the shares under the snow, so thats a missing piece of the puzzle, but I see its got trash boards too...coulters dont look too bad....
Prolly a turn key plow so to speak, but certianly a project plow at the same time.

If I have a minute today I'll pop that DVD in, I think that plow was shown in that Deere video....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looks like a #555 Brian..
I agree with Ken's value estimate...cant see the shares under the snow, so thats a missing piece of the puzzle, but I see its got trash boards too...coulters dont look too bad....
Prolly a turn key plow so to speak, but certianly a project plow at the same time.

If I have a minute today I'll pop that DVD in, I think that plow was shown in that Deere video....
It is amazing how cheap some of these implements are if you look around. I feel dumb for buying new ones.

D.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I took the plunge. I purchased a plow that I was told was used this fall and is in full working order. Its a few hours away from home and will be delivered to my door step. I don't even know the brand of it...LMAO...

I felt I needed some excitement and anticipation in my life. The price reflects the risk, so we will see. I will post pictures when it shows up. Should be here by the weekend at the latest..

·
Registered
733 Posts
It is amazing how cheap some of these implements are if you look around. I feel dumb for buying new ones.

D.
ROFL....they're only cheap initially. I'll prolly have 1k into my little genius when I'm done. But admitdely, I go whole hog when I tackle any project.
But at the same time.....you couldn't go out today snd buy a new one for 1k so I guess its all relative.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have the one coming this Saturday and I just told a guy I would take this one also. I have a guy picking this up for me next week. Now I am unsure if I need to roll the dice and have 2, but I will.....:unknown: how cool would it be to have a nice metal wheeled plow that can sit outside and never need new rubber.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few hours on the road in a minor blizzard and I am home with the plow. I am thrilled with the plow and it is perfect, other than a few small details. One, there is a rust hole around the air inlet on one rim. That will get fixed. Two, the hydro cylinder has a small spot where it is dark a bit on the rod toward the end of the cylinder. It will be interesting to see how well that works when plowing.

The coulter look wore and are only 14". Dave has told me they should be 17"...

I welcome all comments! This guy liked grease, and thats good, but everything that might wear is covered in a layer of it, then there is a layer of road grime. I have not seen a spec of rust on this plow.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Brian,
That plow looks really neat, will be interested to hear about how well it works. I have to admit I know almost nothing about them.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
That is a nice find.:thumbup1gif: Looks like it was very well maintained. It's nice to have a little something to tinker with on a purchase like this. Hard to plow frozen ground though. Your track record is true. A cutter and plow that will have to wait the winter. Looks like you are planning some spring work.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So today I tore apart the wheels and hubs so I could fix one of the rims that was rusting away around the tube stem. I was able to easily weld in a nice patch and get it back to almost new. I have now put 3 coats of finish bondo over the rim to make it smooth....:lol:... I might be a touch too pickey... especially with a 60 year old piece of farm machinery...:empathy3:

I did learn something.... In the last 60 years, too many people have had their hands in this plow. I am missing washers and bushings in both hubs!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
More pics, more pics, we need more pics.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had good intensions of taking pictures along the way for my record and the forum.... But it was 3 degrees outside and I started taking things apart in my unheated barn and stuff was not how the parts breakdown had it. I was a bit frustrated, and then I took apart some bushings and one had a huge chip out of it. I started thinking I should have just left it and used it.

But, at the end of the day, everything is corrected. I just need to understand why two washers are needed, even though I have them ready to buy at the dealership....:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been working on this in my spare time. I do not have much done, but I started to take pictures last night as I sawzalled off on of the tires. The battery on the camera died after the second picture.... It was kind of sad, the tire was fine, but it was dry rotted to the point it would have ruined the rim to get it off. So to save the rim, I cut the tire up.

Good thing I did take it off. The inside of the rim is rusting pretty bad. I can clean it up and put some paint on it to help stop it from further rusting for some time.

I will take some pictures of where I am at and try to document it a little better in another thread.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Oh..Tip for those of you who sawzall tires :lol:

Lube the blade with some Dishwashing liquid/water mix....you can go heavy on the Dishwashing liquid so its very slippery...helps a ton!

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Oh..Tip for those of you who sawzall tires :lol:

Lube the blade with some Dishwashing liquid/water mix....you can go heavy on the Dishwashing liquid so its very slippery...helps a ton!
That's a good tip that I hope I will NEVER have to use!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.