Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 1 Series tractor owner who recently picked up a new 260 Backhoe. I have been making good progress on purchases this winter on getting the Tractor all ready for spring projects. I picked up a few used buckets pretty cheaply - an 8" and a 16" and just purchase the quick connect from BX.

I am interested in a a ripper and trencher and just saw that John Deere now makes those for the 260 and 270 backhoes.

Has anyone purchased these yet or have any bias towards one or the other?

BX Trencher - $325
JD - $356

BX Ripper- $285
JD- $331

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Buckets look similar except the teeth.
In hard ground, the Deere teeth might work better. In soft, its a toss up. Most people dont trench in very hard ground though, so keep that in mind.
The ripper though, the BXpanded has serrations along its edge, which allow it (in theory) to better cut through roots. I would imagine it does have quite a good effect vs Deeres design which looks like simply a solid edged piece which will use brute force to break through roots.

For me, Id get whatever was cheapest on the trenching bucket, assuming you actually need one. Since you have the 8" bucket already, if you dont have a ton of trenching to do, I cant see how it would be worth it, but we all like to have attachments!

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I have both the BX trencher bucket and ripper, but have not used either of the JD pieces.
As far as pricing, keep in mind you have to add shipping on the BX pieces, so end cost is relatively equal.

When digging wet, sticky soil, the BX trencher empties easier than the standard 12" JD bucket I have. With the side walls of the BX curved and cut back like they are, it can't hold as much but it allows the soil to release easier. I imagine the JD trencher would be similar.

The leading edge of the BX ripper is not only serrated but also beveled, so the actual contact edge acts like a knife in a sense. While the 260/260B has a decent amount of curling force for its size, the edge of the BX is a helpful feature for stump roots. I considered the JD ripper when I bought my BX, and I'm glad I went with the BX. I don't think I'd be happy with the blunt edge of the JD vs. the BX. The 260 backhoe can use all the help it can get in that regard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 8" bucket I picked up cheaply for just $200 so it was hard to pass up. Originally I was just going to take Tractor Tim's advice on buying the 16" Bucket and the 6" Trencher from BX.

The JD Trencher interests me because of the teeth, just wondering how wide it is?. I have a fair amount of trenching to do at my friends garage for a buried electric line as well as some of my own projects so thats why a trenching bucket is still on my radar.

Really surprised that I couldn't find any info or reviews on the JD products on the forum or elsewhere. They must not be that widely used.yet.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I believe the JD trencher is also 6". I think the reason behind no reviews or more info on the JD, is they haven't been out that long. I think they came out last summer/fall, and I don't think many people even know about them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have both of the Bxpanded products and the quick change bracket. I use it on tree stumps and roots. I could not be more happy with them. When needed the JD bucket fits right on. Great design, excellent construction. Great addition to my toy box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts