Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in my introduction so please forgive me for posting it again here. I just thing I will get more info aboutt he pros and cons in buying one of these series.

Most everyone says the X700 but yet if I don't need that much tractor why spend the money???

Here is my OP

I'm considering buying a John Deere X.500 series or X 700 series with a snowblower attachment. My main reason is for the snowblower but of course I will use it to mow as well. I'm thinking that the X 700 series is overkill for my home and lawn, but then again the for X.500 could be as well.

I just built the home with a fairly good sized backyard and an average size front. I'm just having a hard time deciding between the X.500 series and the X 700 series. Although the X 700 series has many better features I still think it might be overkill for what I need. There's no sense in spending a few thousand dollars more even if I can afford it or something that will be overkill. Like I said in the beginning my main purpose is buying it to make my winter snow blowing much easier, I currently have someone that does my Lawn during the summer months but obviously if I make this investment I will end up doing it myself. My neighbor just bought a John Deere But I'm not exactly Sure which model he bought I will ask him next time I see Him. He mentioned that the model he has has no belts and everything is direct driven course not understanding how John Deeres Are built I'm not quite sure what he means. I do understand that many home and garden tractors use belts and I can see the advantage of having a direct drive and not have to use belts. I would appreciate any input but keep in mind that my property is that big it all it's not like I have an acre to mow so I want to get the most for my money and I would appreciate any suggestions. and reasons why you suggest one over the other.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Are you on a hill or have hilly property?

How long and steep is the driveway.

Do you plan on anything other than snowblowing and mowing.

Reactions: JDJake and jmb6420

·
Registered
259 Posts
How big of area do you need to mow? Any hills or berms? Any culverts? Any obstacles, trees, flower beds, rocks? Do you water and fertilize regularly? Do yo have room for storage? How Big is your driveway? What other attachments would you be adding in the future?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No hills, driveway is standard size with minimal slope I have never measured it. All I plan to do is mow and blow snow. To be honest I am buying it mainly for blowing snow here in MN but of course I won't spend that kind of money and not mow also. This is why I want to make sure which series model I get for my money

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I answered all these questions as you were replying. My lot is about 1/3 acre no trees no hills it's a new house in a new addtion. I just want to get a tractor with a snowblower attachment and want to get a quality tractor. What I buy will be more than I really need so that is why I want to know for sure which John Deere series would be best for me. enough power and not too much and not spending a lot more than I need to.

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes The X738 Looks like a very good tractor with a great snowblower attachment. My lot in the amount of snow I would have to blow or lawn that I would have to cut is nothing compared to the video I have much less. That's why I'm trying to see if one of the higher and X 500 series might be a better choice for me

·
Registered
423 Posts
Have you considered a front blade instead of a blower?
Especially if you don't get much snow.

Have you encountered the brochure? Lots of comparative info (including the other smaller sizes)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you would be happy with any of those options specially if you already have a dedicated mower. I prefer the size and and shaft drive implements of the x700.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I'm not considering anything except for snowblower attachment, I live on the east side of Minnesota and we get plenty of snow. It's not the amount of snow that lands on the ground it's the snow piles up once the snowplows go by that I'm trying to make it easier and myself.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You don't need four wheel drive for a flat driveway to blow snow. I did it with my 445 from 1995 until 2013 when I bought my 1026R. My drive is 1/10 mile long and slightly uphill to the road. The approach to my barn was quite steep and if I did it right, I had no issues, if I forgot and did it wrong, I got stuck. FYI I have also got the 1026R stuck blowing snow. On my 445, I had Chains and two wheel weights on each wheel and still gave the same weights on the 445 and the 1026R, I believe 72# and 50# per wheel. The X7xx is a great tractor and we used them at the Hospital I retired from with no issues and My blower and the Hospital were the 47" versions. Any Quick Hitch Blower 47" or 54" will be using a drive shaft instead of belts to drive the blower. As the tractors, I don't know which models are belt driven and which use a drive shaft, The X7xx are shaft driven as my 445 and the one Series tractors. Not sure about the x3xx and x5xx series. I am going to bet if they use a Quick Hitch Blower they will be shaft drive from the engine to the Trans-axle, just check to be sure. Belt drive is not as convient for hook up, but my Mother-in-Law blows her drive with an 1987 JD-214 with no issues, Since my FIL died, she no longer removes the blower and just bought a cheep MTD for mowing duty.

Reactions: Pigpen and jmb6420

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
With the AWD system on the x738 it will literally run circles around any X5 series tractor in the snow. The AWD x7s don't need any chains or extra weight in the snow it's just hop on and go. Even on a flat driveway an X5 is going to need some help to maintain traction.

The x7 shaft driven blower is double the cost of the same size blower on an X5.

The x7 can move more snow faster but by the sounds of it with a small driveway that's not really a concern.

Honestly for what you say you want to use it for the X5 is plenty. If you can afford an x7 your never going to want another tractor for the rest of your life.

Snow White Slope Tree Outdoor recreation

Snow Motor vehicle Slope Asphalt Freezing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That has been my dilemma, although I could afford the X 700 is it smart to spend a few thousand more just because you can afford it. This house we built is going to be the last house we live in so the tractor I get and lower attachment will be hopefully the last one I need to buy for as long as I'm able to mow and blow.

Everybody has given me a lot of good information and when I go to John Deere I will have a lot of questions and depending on the answers will most likely be the reason I either go with the X.500 series or spend the extra money for the X 700.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
For a 1/3 acre, a X500 series would be more than up to the job of Blowing snow. I have a JD Compact and a X748(older version of a X758) On 3.9 acres. My driveway is 300 feet Long, 20 feet wide at it The Narrowest part. I also Use Many 2WD tractors for snow removal as well, 2 Have Diff/lock, and they're set up for plowing snow. I have yet to even use diff/lock on either one Another 2 Not picture 1 has a Plow and another has a Blower on it and neither have diff/lock. Furthermore, I am a Bit Crazy as I have 5 garden tractors set up for Snow removal this year and 1 compact Normally I have 2 Garden tractors and a Compact set up for snow removal and everything else is out to bed for the winter.

I use a Smaller JD GX335(older version of a X530/X580) for plowing paths through snow for the Dogs as I don't want to take the 2025R Compact or X748 into the Backyard do to trees and having cabs. BTW Usually never run the 2025R in 4WD for plowing duties. Really bet I could get away with just using the GX335 for everything, at least this winter, so far.

In the past, I used a lot of Non Diff/lock or Non 4WD or AWD tractors for snow removal on much bigger and hillier properties and driveways then what I have now and never really had an issue. Use to run a JD 240(older version of say a X570 But without diff/lock) with a 42-inch single stage thrower In Far Northern, NY Fort Drum Area on a 1/4mile drive with 4 fairly steep hills, again wasn't an issue blowing snow just took a lot longer than say the used JD 425 I replaced it with.

The X500 series might even be over kill for your 1/3 acre lot. But it is nice to have some extra traction if needed by having diff/lock (y)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
What ever you get, plan on it being your last reactor, I bought my 445 new in 94 and still have it and use it now only for mowing and yard tug duty. The 1026R replaced the 445 for snow removal and other heavier duties as it has the three point and PTO, I have 11.5 acres and brush hog my fields every couple of years and use my PTO wood Chipper and need the extra power and the Heated Cab is great in the snow and cold of Northwestern Lower Michigan (We get Lake Effect). One advantage of the x700 series is the water cooled engines so the grass clippings don't clog the cooling fins causing engine over heating. When we fired up the MILs JD-214 this fall, we kicked out a mouse nest and had to clean the fins out with a lot of compressed air and that would not due for summer use.

·
Registered
2021 2032R-Frontier AV20F Grapple-Frontier 60" snowpush-CMP 60" dethatcher.
89 Posts
Why not just get a stand alone snowblower, I had an Ariens before I bought my 2032R and it would chew through snow like a hot knife thru butter, only sold it because I got a snow pusher with the 2032R. If I lived in town I would have a stand alone snowblower especially if I had a good service to mow the lawn, now if your looking to add toys, I recommend the X700 series, they are unbelievable machines and once you have tried hydraulics you will never go back to belt driven and a manual lift on the mower.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yes you can do that little drive way with a walk behind blower, I did my driveway and barnyard for the first year and a half using it when the snow was too heavy for the 445 and 54” blade, I bought the 47” blower midway through the second year and gave the 32” JD walk behind to my son. Biggest issue was there was no down force I could apply to get the hard pack and the wet heavy rain soaked snow at the end of the driveway. I would never go back to the walk behind and I had the wind screen and lights with electric start. I was 45 when I got lazy. Son still has the 1032 blower.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1 acre (about half of it to mow) and 130'X10-20' driveway - X330 is just fine. Even when we got hit with 2+ feet of snow - no problem. While I got 1023e for most of my other projects and did some snow clearing this weekend with the back blade, not selling the X330 since it does the job. Could have bought used back in the day but there weren't many available. Now you can pick up X330 with a blower and mower deck for under $1500 (at least around me). X330 does need chains though on rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yes you can do that little drive way with a walk behind blower, I did my driveway and barnyard for the first year and a half using it when the snow was too heavy for the 445 and 54” blade, I bought the 47” blower midway through the second year and gave the 32” JD walk behind to my son. Biggest issue was there was no down force I could apply to get the hard pack and the wet heavy rain soaked snow at the end of the driveway. I would never go back to the walk behind and I had the wind screen and lights with electric start. I was 45 when I got lazy. Son still has the 1032 blower.

The x7 is hydraulic raise and lower on the front. The snowblower has down force, and a hydraulic float option. Or you can raise it and run it just above the surface.

I snowblow trails thru my yard raising the blower and in or so off the grass. It makes tending the chickens and collecting the eggs easier.

The X5 is only up or down no downforce other than gravity.

The other big upside to an x7 is that all of the attachments are very easy and quick to take on and off. No belts, no wrestling heavy mower decks. As you age and get tired the x7 becomes a much easier tractor use.

·
Registered
2021 2032R-Frontier AV20F Grapple-Frontier 60" snowpush-CMP 60" dethatcher.
89 Posts
The new walk behind blowers are much bigger and better then years past, only issue I ever had was with a 20" wet snow that the plow left a 4' by 10' wall at the end of the driveway.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts