Green Tractor Talk banner
61 - 80 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just for clarification, earlier I stated that an X370 would probably be good for your needs - I stand by that statement.

It doesn't matter which machine you go with, the mower decks are all heavy and a deck dolly is a good investment for handling it.

Now onto myself, I purchased an x590 with wheel weights, a snow blower , a plow , 54" mower deck and a weather enclosure. It's a nice setup and I love it and it cost me around 11 grand at the time. I couldn't afford the payment on an X7 at the time because I still owed on my house , but I still wanted an X758 .

I use an X758 with 54 in mower and a snowblower with curtis cab at my work. It's an awesome machine but it doesn't throw the snow anywhere near as far as the X590 but it will go through deeper snow a lot faster.

So after I payed off my house I went tractor shopping. I wanted an X758 with rear PTO and 3 point hitch but I had been eyeing the front end loader on the 1025R. To get an X758 they way I wanted it was actually cheaper by a little for me to get the 1025R . I added a loader , box blade and load n go brackets for the mower deck and with tax I was at $19,000 so I pulled the trigger.

Since then I've added a tiller, pallet forks and a snow pusher, I'm a happy man. that loader has save my back on so many projects since I bought the 1025R.

My wife was mad at me at 1st but has since realized how handy the bigger tractor is . I'm happy with both machines.

Like stated before - test drive different models and see which model you like the best.

You can't get a hard cab on an X3 or X5 for winter use but you can get a weather enclosure which is okay. You can however get a hard or soft cab for the X7 . A cab is very nice at keeping snow from blowing on you while snow blowing.

If money is no object - go with an X758, The resale on a diesel tractor is higher than a gas model from what I have seen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just for clarification, earlier I stated that an X370 would probably be good for your needs - I stand by that statement.

It doesn't matter which machine you go with, the mower decks are all heavy and a deck dolly is a good investment for handling it.

Now onto myself, I purchased an x590 with wheel weights, a snow blower , a plow , 54" mower deck and a weather enclosure. It's a nice setup and I love it and it cost me around 11 grand at the time. I couldn't afford the payment on an X7 at the time because I still owed on my house , but I still wanted an X758 .

I use an X758 with 54 in mower and a snowblower with curtis cab at my work. It's an awesome machine but it doesn't throw the snow anywhere near as far as the X590 but it will go through deeper snow a lot faster.

So after I payed off my house I went tractor shopping. I wanted an X758 with rear PTO and 3 point hitch but I had been eyeing the front end loader on the 1025R. To get an X758 they way I wanted it was actually cheaper by a little for me to get the 1025R . I added a loader , box blade and load n go brackets for the mower deck and with tax I was at $19,000 so I pulled the trigger.

Since then I've added a tiller, pallet forks and a snow pusher, I'm a happy man. that loader has save my back on so many projects since I bought the 1025R.

My wife was mad at me at 1st but has since realized how handy the bigger tractor is . I'm happy with both machines.

Like stated before - test drive different models and see which model you like the best.

You can't get a hard cab on an X3 or X5 for winter use but you can get a weather enclosure which is okay. You can however get a hard or soft cab for the X7 . A cab is very nice at keeping snow from blowing on you while snow blowing.

If money is no object - go with an X758, The resale on a diesel tractor is higher than a gas model from what I have seen.
Very similar purchase story here....I purchased an X590 last year and I have enjoyed all that it can do...got a 47 snowblower for it and anxious to try it out but haven't had any significant snow yet. I too was considering the X7 series but figured the X590 would serve me well and so far it has. The one issue however is I always wanted a true loader for some landscaping projects and simply being able to lift heavy objects around the property. I figured a X758 with a CTC loader would probably be as perfect garden tractor you could get but like you found the price for X758 is not too far from a 1025R and the loader would be much more capable. Fast forward to this week and I just put an order in for a 1025R. Never thought I would have 2 high end machines but I guess I caught the Deere bug.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I've been reseaching for weeks now and still confused as to what I should buy. As I said in many posts in this thread what I need for my property is a lot less than I will buy. The things some of you mentioned is to consider how easy things will be as I get older soI am considering that.

A few questions I can't find on any John Deere site or Youtube.
Does the X590 have the drive over quick connect/disconnect for the deck like the X700?

I know 3-cylinder diesel engine will hold it's resale value much better than gas, some of you say you get better mileage from diesel. are there any other pros and cons about diesel. Now diesel is quite a bit more expensive per gallon.

I want 4 wheel but it doesn't have to be 4 wheel steer. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow so I will know a lot more then. Since I will be up most the night reseaching if anyone wants to add comments or suggests feel free. I'm one of those types of people that when I think of something I can't stop thinking about it until I decide and this decision isn't easy. If the X590 had the easy connect/disconnect deck with drive over I would buy that in a heartbeat but as in everything we buy they have the perfect model but it lacks one thing and you ahve to go up to a new model to get that one thing and it costs $$$$ more.

My problem also is I just built a new house so I have the yard to mow the driveway to blow and that's about it. Someone mentioned about the great financing plan JD has, I will be buying mine without financing so for me that isn't a selling point.

Thanks for taking the time to read the mental tug of war I am going through........lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been reseaching for weeks now and still confused as to what I should buy. As I said in many posts in this thread what I need for my property is a lot less than I will buy. The things some of you mentioned is to consider how easy things will be as I get older soI am considering that.

A few questions I can't find on any John Deere site or Youtube.
Does the X590 have the drive over quick connect/disconnect for the deck like the X700?

I know 3-cylinder diesel engine will hold it's resale value much better than gas, some of you say you get better mileage from diesel. are there any other pros and cons about diesel. Now diesel is quite a bit more expensive per gallon.

I want 4 wheel but it doesn't have to be 4 wheel steer. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow so I will know a lot more then. Since I will be up most the night reseaching if anyone wants to add comments or suggests feel free. I'm one of those types of people that when I think of something I can't stop thinking about it until I decide and this decision isn't easy. If the X590 had the easy connect/disconnect deck with drive over I would buy that in a heartbeat but as in everything we buy they have the perfect model but it lacks one thing and you ahve to go up to a new model to get that one thing and it costs $$$$ more.

My problem also is I just built a new house so I have the yard to mow the driveway to blow and that's about it. Someone mentioned about the great financing plan JD has, I will be buying mine without financing so for me that isn't a selling point.

Thanks for taking the time to read the mental tug of war I am going through........lol
drive over deck only available on X7 series as well as 4WD. That would be X738, X739 or X758.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Yes Nate, I found out the same thing in reseaching so that makes my decision very easy. Ill be buying a X700 now just to figure out which one of these OVERKILL machines I will buy.......lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds like you’re getting closer to making up your mind. Yes, as you stated, an x700 is overkill for you, but it is for me too. With that said, I’m still glad I bought it- it mows great, moves snow without issue, and is the most comfortable lawn tractor I’ve used.

Another benefit of the all wheel drive I didn’t see mentioned - is it is a lot easier to drive over the deck. I had an x730 a number of years ago and would spin the tires a lot trying to back over the deck. With AWD, this has been a non issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Once agaain thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, everyone had something to make me think and each one of you helped in my decision. I've decided to ge the X739, the reason being I want a 4 wheel drive for winter and I've never owned anything that was diesel so with my small lot I doubt the gas vs diesel will make that much diiference in cost of fuel for each year, also not being knowledgeable about things that use diesel I am more comfortable with the X739 over the X758. I forget who said this and I can't find it in the posts but the one thing that really made me think hard about getting a X700 series was the person who mentioned that the X700 series is so much easier to change the deck and blower with the quick connects I thought in 3-5 years how much will my body take so rather than crawling under the tractor trying to get the deck off I'd much rather drive over the deck and have it be disconnected with a few lifr of some levers. The extra money I will spend now that hurts ( and it's come out of my bank account not financing ) will be nothing in 3-5 years when I am happpy I can switch out the deck and snowblower much easier. Then the extra money I spent won't bother me at all.

Once again thank you for everyone input and cross your fingers that I can find a X739 in my area....lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Once again thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, everyone had something to make me think and each one of you helped in my decision. I've decided to get the X739, the reason being I want a 4 wheel drive for winter and I've never owned anything that was diesel so with my small lot I doubt the gas vs diesel will make that much difference in the cost of fuel for each year, also not being knowledgeable about things that use diesel I am more comfortable with the X739 over the X758. I forget who said this and I can't find it in the posts but the one thing that made me think hard about getting an X700 series was the person who mentioned that the X700 series is so much easier to change the deck and blower with the quick connects I thought in 3-5 years how much will my body take so rather than crawling under the tractor trying to get the deck off I'd much rather drive over the deck and have it be disconnected with a few life of some levers. The extra money I will spend now that hurts ( and it's come out of my bank account, not financing ) will be nothing in 3-5 years when I am happy I can switch out the deck and snowblower much easier. Then the extra money I spent won't bother me at all.

Once again thank you for everyone input and cross your fingers that I can find an X739 in my area....lol

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Once again thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, everyone had something to make me think and each one of you helped in my decision. I've decided to get the X739, the reason being I want a 4 wheel drive for winter and I've never owned anything that was diesel so with my small lot I doubt the gas vs diesel will make that much difference in the cost of fuel for each year, also not being knowledgeable about things that use diesel I am more comfortable with the X739 over the X758. I forget who said this and I can't find it in the posts but the one thing that made me think hard about getting an X700 series was the person who mentioned that the X700 series is so much easier to change the deck and blower with the quick connects I thought in 3-5 years how much will my body take so rather than crawling under the tractor trying to get the deck off I'd much rather drive over the deck and have it be disconnected with a few life of some levers. The extra money I will spend now that hurts ( and it's come out of my bank account, not financing ) will be nothing in 3-5 years when I am happy I can switch out the deck and snowblower much easier. Then the extra money I spent won't bother me at all.

Once again thank you for everyone input and cross your fingers that I can find an X739 in my area....lol
No doubt it's an expensive choice but the x7s are really a joy to own. Your gonna find yourself looking for excuses to use it.

If you think deciding on what tractor get was the hard part your in for a surprise when it comes time for you to wait for delivery.

With your expected use profile I would jump on a good used machine.

Since you plan on paying cash it is really worth your effort to look for a used x738,39,58 that comes with a snow blower. Anything with less than 100 hours on it is virtually brand new. You will save thousands picking up a low hour used unit with cash from a dealer. The factory warranty is transferable and is attached to the machine so a low hour machine will likely still have a warranty.

Also if you want a unit for snow this year used is likely your only bet. Delivery time for new x7s is likely 2-4 months from order to delivery.

Reactions: Matt G and jmb6420

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've decided to get the X739, the reason being I want a 4 wheel drive for winter
Just wanted to clarify that the x739 is 4 wheel steer and 4 wheel drive. Perhaps you knew that. Not to complicate things at all but when I had the 4 wheel steer x584, what I did not realize was that there was at least a different weight bracket. I'm not sure what differences if any there are between the x738 (fixed rear wheels) vs the x739. If blowing snow, it might be the same rear weight bracket for click 'n go. You'll at least have a few more grease zerts on the rear but it's not a big deal. I think there are plenty of happy x739 owners here. I just decided I didn't need all wheel steer when I moved from the x584 to the x738.

·
Registered
692 Posts
So i'll add my 2 cents. Please excuse the lack of sensitivity and bluntness...

Reasons to buy an x700 VS x500
  • you wont need chains, as simple as it sounds, first couple of years it'll be easy. But as you continue to increase in age it'll become more difficult.
  • this will also apply for weights. You may or may not need weights. This will also be one less thing to do, pickup, change over.
  • x500 deck will be more difficult to put on and off. where as the x700 is a quick connect.
  • yes the x700 is overkill, but in an overkill situation the machine wear and tear isn't as much, so repair costs will be lower.
  • lastly as you keep mentioning, the cost is higher, upfront cost is higher, but so is resale. So at the end of the day, yes the initial investment is more. BUT when you decide to move the machine to its new owner one day, you will get a better return on your investment.

In my opinion you should be getting a x700 for ease of use, comfort, and resale value.

Great points:

If you don't believe the comments on AWD or 4WD superiority. Do a search of how many threads are there on guys hanging ridiculous amounts of weights on a X3xx/X5xx series because it won't go in the snow. Do you see anybody with AWD/4WD making the same complaints?

I have a JD 2305 that is great in the snow, turf tires and only wheel weights (for stability on the slopes I have) and not only does it do a great job. I routinely cut paths out to my wood pile to work in the winter blowing snow that has been on the ground for 2 months without issue. I don't have a blower on X758 as it is on the JD2305 but am quite confident it would be fine.

Also tractor snow blowers that are incapable of putting down pressure on the cutting edge of the snow blower will ride over snow pushed up by the road plows. The hydraulics will easily pick the front tires off the ground.

If you can afford it, buy the X7xx as it will bring a smile to your face and you won't feel like you just got off a paint shaker.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Hello everyone,
Well I went to my John Deere dealer this morning and there wasn't a X739 in a two state search , I live in Minnesota and they check Minnesota and North Dakota and nothing that was available sooner than 2-3 months. I guess this is the wrong time to be buying a lawn and garden tractor with a snowblower....lol

On the floor they had a new X738 that had 1.6 hours on it, I guess test drives and back and forth to the lot and back inside. It was a bit dusty but after talking to the salesman he explained that all tractors sold from the floor or lot are fullu detailed before delivery so it will look brand new when delivered. I wanted the X739 but the all wheel steering wasn't that big of a deal to me I don't have anything that I need to mow around so the X738 is the same tractor except the all wheel steering.

we talked and he quoted me a price of $11,450.00 for the tractor, $2100 for the 54" deck and $3500 for the snowblower attachment. He added the best set with arms for free, he addded the back bracket for the suitcase weights, I bought 4 he gave me 2 extra at N/C I added the linear actuator for the blower chute top to be able to move it up and down to sirect the snow where I want. You'd think that would come with the snowblower for $3500 but they nickle and dime you on all the parts. That actuator cost me $500 installed but I think it will be well worth it over the years.

It will be delivered Friday with the blower attached and ready to blow snow. The mowing deck I will get sometime before spring, they are so busy now and I don't need the deck so that sounded fine to me. They will come out pick up the X738 bring it to the dealership and take the blower off and install the deck and level it and deliver everything back to me at N/C

So after about $19K I now own an X738 and still in shock I paid that in cash but I'm sure over the rest of the winter and years to come I will be happy and feel I made a great decision.

Thank you so much to all of you who helped me decide. I will be on here a long time now, I'm sure there will be times I need some help, or maybe I can help someone in return. I'll attach a pic of the X738 sitting next to a series 300, don't mind the dirt and dush that will be gone when it is delivered. A guy came up to it when I was looking at it and said " is there a price on this?" I said " It's Sold"....lol

Tire Riding mower Lawn mower Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
428 Posts
Congrats!
I'm sure you'll have a big grin the first few times operating it.

Maybe I missed it, but did you spring for auto-connect for the deck?
It's not 100% automatic, but much easier than reaching under to connect/disconnect the pto for the deck.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You will love it! I have the same super garden tractor but a diesel.
I bought a bunch of options... paid cash too....am very happy with mine!
The blower is really heavy. I made a very nice steel simple dolly set.
You might need something too so you can move that beast around.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hello everyone,
Well I went to my John Deere dealer this morning and there wasn't a X739 in a two state search , I live in Minnesota and they check Minnesota and North Dakota and nothing that was available sooner than 2-3 months. I guess this is the wrong time to be buying a lawn and garden tractor with a snowblower....lol

On the floor they had a new X738 that had 1.6 hours on it, I guess test drives and back and forth to the lot and back inside. It was a bit dusty but after talking to the salesman he explained that all tractors sold from the floor or lot are fullu detailed before delivery so it will look brand new when delivered. I wanted the X739 but the all wheel steering wasn't that big of a deal to me I don't have anything that I need to mow around so the X738 is the same tractor except the all wheel steering.

we talked and he quoted me a price of $11,450.00 for the tractor, $2100 for the 54" deck and $3500 for the snowblower attachment. He added the best set with arms for free, he addded the back bracket for the suitcase weights, I bought 4 he gave me 2 extra at N/C I added the linear actuator for the blower chute top to be able to move it up and down to sirect the snow where I want. You'd think that would come with the snowblower for $3500 but they nickle and dime you on all the parts. That actuator cost me $500 installed but I think it will be well worth it over the years.

It will be delivered Friday with the blower attached and ready to blow snow. The mowing deck I will get sometime before spring, they are so busy now and I don't need the deck so that sounded fine to me. They will come out pick up the X738 bring it to the dealership and take the blower off and install the deck and level it and deliver everything back to me at N/C

So after about $19K I now own an X738 and still in shock I paid that in cash but I'm sure over the rest of the winter and years to come I will be happy and feel I made a great decision.

Thank you so much to all of you who helped me decide. I will be on here a long time now, I'm sure there will be times I need some help, or maybe I can help someone in return. I'll attach a pic of the X738 sitting next to a series 300, don't mind the dirt and dush that will be gone when it is delivered. A guy came up to it when I was looking at it and said " is there a price on this?" I said " It's Sold"....lol

View attachment 821372
(y)(y)

Buy once cry once!!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
You are going to love it!

Congrats. 🆒 :cool:

Reactions: Rule292 and jmb6420

·
Registered
207 Posts
Congrats on your purchase !!

Now if you don't mind me spending more of your money - have you thought about a cab or weather enclosure? They help keep the snow off of you while blowing snow.

I bought the JD weather enclosure for my X590 and it works well but it won't keep you warm. It has some open screen in the back of the sides I think to help keep your windshield from fogging up. I take it off of the tractor in the spring and I store all the frame pieces in a box. When on , it just barely clears the doorway of my garage. I've had it since 2016 and it has help up very well.

Enjoy your retirement gift , it's an awesome machine !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Thanks to everyone for the congrats.

To answer your question about a enclosure, my thought now is no, I've been blowing snow for over 30 years here in Minnesota and never needed one. The other reason is I just built a house last year and I will be having a deck in the winter on a dolly to move around and a snowblower on one in the summer to move around. I had too much stuff when we moved from my old Rambler with a full basement, one room in that basement was my shop. Now my 3rd car garage is where all my "shop" things are and many of them are still in boxes to be put somewhere so storage is a problem for me. also the soft enclosure that I've seen have no way to clear the window and we get a lot of blowing snow and I can see if I blow snow the wrong way once I'd be out there wiping the front window..lol

Witht at said if I learn more about them who know???

61 - 80 of 144 Posts