Green Tractor Talk banner
81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the congrats.

To answer your question about a enclosure, my thought now is no, I've been blowing snow for over 30 years here in Minnesota and never needed one. The other reason is I just built a house last year and I will be having a deck in the winter on a dolly to move around and a snowblower on one in the summer to move around. I had too much stuff when we moved from my old Rambler with a full basement, one room in that basement was my shop. Now my 3rd car garage is where all my "shop" things are and many of them are still in boxes to be put somewhere so storage is a problem for me. also the soft enclosure that I've seen have no way to clear the window and we get a lot of blowing snow and I can see if I blow snow the wrong way once I'd be out there wiping the front window..lol

Witht at said if I learn more about them who know???
You might not want a cab I certainly didn't and still don't.

I would suggest you own a decent set of waterproof coat and more importantly pants. I found out the hard way in one of those is it raining or snowing oh **** I have 12 inches of snow storms, that waterproof pants are a really key to not turning into an icicle on the tractor.

I was having such a good time using the snow blower I really didn't care until it was time to go in and I couldn't feel my legs.

Using that snowblower on my x738 kinda made me feel like a kid going sledding on a snow day all over again. After having used an Ariens walk behind for years it was Soo satisfying to just power thru the snow on my x738. I started doing neighbors driveways and, clearing my dead end road just because it was so easy and fun.

But yea you are gonna want to dress like you are planning on doing a log roll down a hill in the snow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A guy came up to it when I was looking at it and said " is there a price on this?" I said " It's Sold"....lol
Good thing you got there when you did! :) I don't think you'll miss not having all wheel steering but you sure will enjoy having this setup for clearing MN snow.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You might not want a cab I certainly didn't and still don't.

I would suggest you own a decent set of waterproof coat and more importantly pants. I found out the hard way in one of those is it raining or snowing oh **** I have 12 inches of snow storms, that waterproof pants are a really key to not turning into an icicle on the tractor.

I was having such a good time using the snow blower I really didn't care until it was time to go in and I couldn't feel my legs.

Using that snowblower on my x738 kinda made me feel like a kid going sledding on a snow day all over again. After having used an Ariens walk behind for years it was Soo satisfying to just power thru the snow on my x738. I started doing neighbors driveways and, clearing my dead end road just because it was so easy and fun.

But yea you are gonna want to dress like you are planning on doing a log roll down a hill in the snow.
I'm thinking that since he said he's been blowing snow for 30 years, in Minnesota, and not needed a cab or enclosure, that he probably has a satisfactory selection of gear.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm thinking that since he said he's been blowing snow for 30 years, in Minnesota, and not needed a ab or enclosure, that he probably has a satisfactory selection of gear.
You might have thought the same for me having lived in the northeast in the coast line and cleared snow for the past 30 years.

I could get away with jeans or insulated pants with my walk behind blower. Normally I'd be sweating my butt off by the time I was done with the driveway walking up and down it so many times.

Sitting on the tractor blowing snow is a very different experience.

·
Registered
2021 2032R-Frontier AV20F Grapple-Frontier 60" snowpush-CMP 60" dethatcher.
89 Posts
Congrats, you will be surprised at how tight the x738 turns for it's size, loved mine but needed bigger or I would still have it. I retire in 7 years and will buy another X700 series when we move to our retirement home, wherever that ends up being.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm thinking that since he said he's been blowing snow for 30 years, in Minnesota, and not needed a ab or enclosure, that he probably has a satisfactory selection of gear.
"There is no bad weather, just bad clothing"! An old German jaeger quote from a car forum.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Appropriate gear, whether walk-behind or riding, still depends on the temperature and windspeed.

I know I don't dress the same it's still and near freezing as I do when there it's 'breezy' and 0F.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
CJadamec
Been blowing snow in Minnesota for over 30 years, I have PHIBEE Men's Insulated Warm Snow Pants Waterproof Windproof Ski Bib Overalls, waterproof coat, Sorel boots and a Bomber hat with a military cold weater facemask. I blow snow in -20 and I come in sweating so I think I got that covered........lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
EAN,
I agree 100% plus the guy who was looking at it when I got back form the bank and asked the price wanted it I think. So I lucked out and having it delivered Friday morning...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everyone,
Well I went to my John Deere dealer this morning and there wasn't a X739 in a two state search , I live in Minnesota and they check Minnesota and North Dakota and nothing that was available sooner than 2-3 months. I guess this is the wrong time to be buying a lawn and garden tractor with a snowblower....lol

On the floor they had a new X738 that had 1.6 hours on it, I guess test drives and back and forth to the lot and back inside. It was a bit dusty but after talking to the salesman he explained that all tractors sold from the floor or lot are fullu detailed before delivery so it will look brand new when delivered. I wanted the X739 but the all wheel steering wasn't that big of a deal to me I don't have anything that I need to mow around so the X738 is the same tractor except the all wheel steering.

we talked and he quoted me a price of $11,450.00 for the tractor, $2100 for the 54" deck and $3500 for the snowblower attachment. He added the best set with arms for free, he addded the back bracket for the suitcase weights, I bought 4 he gave me 2 extra at N/C I added the linear actuator for the blower chute top to be able to move it up and down to sirect the snow where I want. You'd think that would come with the snowblower for $3500 but they nickle and dime you on all the parts. That actuator cost me $500 installed but I think it will be well worth it over the years.

It will be delivered Friday with the blower attached and ready to blow snow. The mowing deck I will get sometime before spring, they are so busy now and I don't need the deck so that sounded fine to me. They will come out pick up the X738 bring it to the dealership and take the blower off and install the deck and level it and deliver everything back to me at N/C

So after about $19K I now own an X738 and still in shock I paid that in cash but I'm sure over the rest of the winter and years to come I will be happy and feel I made a great decision.

Thank you so much to all of you who helped me decide. I will be on here a long time now, I'm sure there will be times I need some help, or maybe I can help someone in return. I'll attach a pic of the X738 sitting next to a series 300, don't mind the dirt and dush that will be gone when it is delivered. A guy came up to it when I was looking at it and said " is there a price on this?" I said " It's Sold"....lol

View attachment 821372

Congratulations. Couldn’t go wrong either way. Your going to love the X738. Mine’s in winter mode with 54” plow on now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
EAN,
I agree 100% plus the guy who was looking at it when I got back form the bank and asked the price wanted it I think. So I lucked out and having it delivered Friday morning...
I look forward to every time there is snow in the forecast. Depending on where you are MN is supposed to get some snow this weekend. Enjoy it and let us know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ahhhh now we have the debate of cab vs manly men. I am in the latter group, been blowing snow for a long time and I have two tips. One you will be absolutely cognizant of which way the wind is blowing and be amazed how often it can switch once you commit to which direction to blow it. But the that helps the most is a bank robber style ski mask.

A face full of fresh snow can just about take your breath away.

Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Sky Snow Building
Sky Cloud Snow Automotive tire Tree

·
Registered
45 Posts
It sounds like you made a good decision! Best of luck with the new “toy“.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just a thought, look at the 1023 or 1025r tractors. I have the 1025r and am very pleased.
Too late, he bought an x738.

He'll have plenty of time to start thinking about adding another tractor to his garage sometime in the future now that he has that wonderful work saving x.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I posted this in my introduction so please forgive me for posting it again here. I just thing I will get more info aboutt he pros and cons in buying one of these series.

Most everyone says the X700 but yet if I don't need that much tractor why spend the money???

Here is my OP

I'm considering buying a John Deere X.500 series or X 700 series with a snowblower attachment. My main reason is for the snowblower but of course I will use it to mow as well. I'm thinking that the X 700 series is overkill for my home and lawn, but then again the for X.500 could be as well.

I just built the home with a fairly good sized backyard and an average size front. I'm just having a hard time deciding between the X.500 series and the X 700 series. Although the X 700 series has many better features I still think it might be overkill for what I need. There's no sense in spending a few thousand dollars more even if I can afford it or something that will be overkill. Like I said in the beginning my main purpose is buying it to make my winter snow blowing much easier, I currently have someone that does my Lawn during the summer months but obviously if I make this investment I will end up doing it myself. My neighbor just bought a John Deere But I'm not exactly Sure which model he bought I will ask him next time I see Him. He mentioned that the model he has has no belts and everything is direct driven course not understanding how John Deeres Are built I'm not quite sure what he means. I do understand that many home and garden tractors use belts and I can see the advantage of having a direct drive and not have to use belts. I would appreciate any input but keep in mind that my property is that big it all it's not like I have an acre to mow so I want to get the most for my money and I would appreciate any suggestions. and reasons why you suggest one over the other.
I live in northeastern MN as well. I used to have an old LX188. I bought an X738 with the mower and blower. It is 10 times the machine of the LX, and the LX was pretty good. I have quite a bit of driveway and parking area to blow. I no longer have to worry about stretched or broken belts. I don't have any experience with the X500 series, but you can't go wrong with the X738.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
This is my first John Deere so I have no experience to compare and although the X738 is overkill x 2 for my lot, it can't hurt if I got too much tractor as long as I have a garage for it and I do (y)

We are getting I think 4-6" tonight and tomorrow and the X738 is being delivered in the morning so should be a fun day.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This is my first John Deere so I have no experience to compare and although the X738 is overkill x 2 for my lot, it can't hurt if I got too much tractor as long as I have a garage for it and I do (y)

We are getting I think 4-6" tonight and tomorrow and the X738 is being delivered in the morning so should be a fun day.
You know the old saying with horsepower. Too much is just right.

Reactions: GreenforMe

·
Registered
35 Posts
I posted this in my introduction so please forgive me for posting it again here. I just thing I will get more info aboutt he pros and cons in buying one of these series.

Most everyone says the X700 but yet if I don't need that much tractor why spend the money???

Here is my OP

I'm considering buying a John Deere X.500 series or X 700 series with a snowblower attachment. My main reason is for the snowblower but of course I will use it to mow as well. I'm thinking that the X 700 series is overkill for my home and lawn, but then again the for X.500 could be as well.

I just built the home with a fairly good sized backyard and an average size front. I'm just having a hard time deciding between the X.500 series and the X 700 series. Although the X 700 series has many better features I still think it might be overkill for what I need. There's no sense in spending a few thousand dollars more even if I can afford it or something that will be overkill. Like I said in the beginning my main purpose is buying it to make my winter snow blowing much easier, I currently have someone that does my Lawn during the summer months but obviously if I make this investment I will end up doing it myself. My neighbor just bought a John Deere But I'm not exactly Sure which model he bought I will ask him next time I see Him. He mentioned that the model he has has no belts and everything is direct driven course not understanding how John Deeres Are built I'm not quite sure what he means. I do understand that many home and garden tractors use belts and I can see the advantage of having a direct drive and not have to use belts. I would appreciate any input but keep in mind that my property is that big it all it's not like I have an acre to mow so I want to get the most for my money and I would appreciate any suggestions. and reasons why you suggest one over the other.

Here is my OP

Here is my OP

If your driveway is flat and you don't mind putting on some chains (I used the kevlar/rubber ones) and you do not want to do anything in the future but mow and blow, the X500 series would be perfect for you. I have owned a LX277, X500 and currently an X738. I upgraded to the X738 because my neighbors driveway was too steep and I slipped with chains. I love my X738, but I think the X500 was a better mower. My X738 has a 3-pt hitch that I use to thatch, rake and haul things around. The X500 has a beefy transmission and will last a long time.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an X734 with cab, heater and 47" blower. Amazing machine for snow. I'm 50, and I went with a used machine that already had the cab and blower. Got a decent deal on it. You might think it's overkill, but I tell ya what, we aren't getting any younger, and the x7 series machines are a lot easier to change over that the smaller series. The only thing I wish I had was the diesel engine. The gas versions tend to guzzle the petrol.

Future you will appreciate the x7 series. Besides, it kinda becomes a side hobby.

Check out Roger's x7 series with cab. He set himself up for life.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts