Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day friends,
I have a 1956 JD 520. It seemed to be flooding out, so I got a carb rebuild kit ... rebuilt, put back together (sorta) -
1st problem: I can't figure out how to get the springy thing to work in the choke linkage. It seems simple, but the spring doesn't hold the choke closed.
2nd problem: the tractor starts up runs for 10-20 seconds and dies off. It seems like it's not getting enough fuel??
any thoughts?

thank you. - Tim

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
When it does it, disconnect the line and verify flow. also, will it run with the choke on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the two jets turned back 1 1/2 turns from bottom. When it runs for those few seconds it seems to run smooth.

I'll try pulling the gas line to see if there is flow.

thank you,.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I may be way off base with this idea. If so, just ignore the ramble.
I'm thinking the fuel shut off is controlled by engine oil pressure on this model so if oil pressure is lost while the engine is working, the fuel will automatically shut off to avoid engine damage. In the case of a carb. removal/repair, wouldn't there be a manual override to refill the carb. bowl for the first start? If you are familiar with this feature, please explain how it works when you disconnect the fuel line to test for flow. (I have never owned anything newer than a "B")

It could be as simple as a blockage in the tank, sediment bowl filter, or the inoperative choke. Keep us informed. I'm sure interested!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check the fuel metering screw on bottom of carb bowl , loosen nut and center screw should be turned out 2 1/2 to 3 turns. your fuel shut off should be control by oil pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
520 carb

Thank you very much! LOL - I can't believe it ... I think that when I rebuilt it I screwed that in all the way, and never backed it back out. I'll try it later today.
Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
520 carb problem?? electrical? switch?

LOL - Now it will only stay running as long as I hold the starter pedal down! It starts right up, runs great, but as soon as I release the starter it shuts off. Is this a malfunction of the switch (on, lights, etc.) on the dash, or is there some other wiring problem?

·
Administrator
20,168 Posts
Check to see if you have power going to the coil with the ignition turned on. If not, you need to troubleshoot why. Follow the wire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
520 Carb & electrical problems! Thank you

After I rebuilt the carb ... then it wouldn't stay running. You were correct - no power to the coil. I traced back and found a wire had come off the battery terminal. It's now up and running smooth .... well accept for the fact that I don't have the intake/air cleaner put back on yet.
** I'm still trying to figure out the choke connection. It has a spring in it, but it doesn't seem to hold the plates open or closed ... I can't seem to be able to get the spring to do any thing. Is it possible that I have the choke plates in wrong?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you get your problem figured out. The choke shouldn't have any spring attached, the only piece that should move is the governor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts