Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted on here looking for recommendations on a SCUT or X series and ended up finding a mint 1026r who a guy took my side by side and cash on trade for. Everyone was happy.

The machine has like 377 hours on it, 60d Autoconnect deck and a FEL. What else do I need, rear ballast is probably the first thing on the list eh?

I'm kicking around a rear snowblower and just using the bucket for most of the snow removal. The NorTrac one seems pretty affordable and look pretty well reviewed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Congratulations! I think you’ll really enjoy it!

Reactions: DanW and jdforever

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
Definitely rear ballast should be #1 on your 'must have' list. There is a pile of threads here on that issue.

If you're going to be using the loader for snow removal, I suggest getting a pair of Edge Tamers. They help a ton by keeping the bucket from digging into the ground or pavement.

https://r2manufacturing.com/products/edge-tamer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely rear ballast should be #1 on your 'must have' list. There is a pile of threads here on that issue.

If you're going to be using the loader for snow removal, I suggest getting a pair of Edge Tamers. They help a ton by keeping the bucket from digging into the ground or pavement.

https://r2manufacturing.com/products/edge-tamer
I was thinking about these, or the snow edge by Ratchet Rake. Although that has gotten mixed reviews.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello, and congratulations. I believe you will be amazed at how much you can do with your new tractor. I don't have much knowledge or history with tractors, I hadn't driven one since bush hogging for my Dad on an Oliver 1250 years ago ... so for me... the 4wd, power steering, small turn radius, and the loader were ... well amazing. Since I can't remember much about my past experience... it is like I'm approaching these new "R"s with fresh eyes.

The experience with them is so different... and so easy ...possibilities are endless almost... that I don't look at them like tractors ... it is like a whole new thing. Kind of like comparing a smart phone to a flip phone. "I still use my flip by the way." It seems like farming and just helping you around your house (with the small ones) has taken a turn in history. I am still new.. but I keep being surprised when I realize ... my tractor can help me do that.

I remember one time...when I went to Sam's Club and wanted to buy a metal cabinet that you put together. The box was too heavy for me to load...but they were willing to put it on my trailer for me. But I told them ... "But you won't be there to unload it when I get home". And then I the lightbulb came on... and I said "would you mind putting it on a pallet on my trailer?" So, my 1025r unloaded it for me when I got home, and now the cabinet sits all shiny in my garage. Just one example of something that wasn't a possibility, becoming a reality. All thanks to "Little John" I call him.

I don't know how much experience with tractors you have had... but if not much like me, then there are lots of episodes with a 1025r on You Tube Channel called "Tractor Time With Tim" he has gotten so popular that he now has a lot of equipment besides his 1025r, but go back a few years and watch some early episodes.

BALLAST
Ok, I don't have the mower deck. So, I don't know if that would make a difference...but I've learned I need extra weight. I live on rolling land and my rear tires have come off the ground many times...it is very scary. I got the bush hog with mine, and it just stuck out too far in the back, so I got the ballast box to keep my footprint smaller. But (even though the ballast box says quick hitch compatible)...that the lower pins aren't wide enough... you need to buy these bushings...I think this is the kit number LP19969. (I'm so new I don't know how to post a link on GTT yet.) It didn't help enough so I got my dealer to add fluid in my rear tires. That did make a difference. But, since I don't want any more mishaps...I just ordered the single weights for my rear tires.

I'm still learning...but I notice the ballast box still swings too far in my opinion when I get on a slope. I recon I might should tighten the bottom two arms with the toggle bolts.

Anyway, get ready to have a real buddy to help you out with your projects and be safe at the same time!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, and congratulations. I believe you will be amazed at how much you can do with your new tractor. I don't have much knowledge or history with tractors, I hadn't driven one since bush hogging for my Dad on an Oliver 1250 years ago ... so for me... the 4wd, power steering, small turn radius, and the loader were ... well amazing. Since I can't remember much about my past experience... it is like I'm approaching these new "R"s with fresh eyes.
That's funny you say that! I grew up on a farm and started driving tractor at about 7 years old. Pulling the feeder wagon in from the pasture with an Oliver 1650!

And ballast is first on the list as I've been watching the tractor time with Tim episodes a fair bit, I think I'm going to go with a heavy hitch attached to the HF quick hitch vs the ballast box. My land is pretty flat but I will be down in the ditch a fair bit.

Does everyone remove ballast when they're mowing? We'll have pretty sturdy clay but I don't really want to pack it down any worse than it already is.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
I take off the loader and my ballast box when mowing. I leave the Imatch (quick hitch) on though.

Reactions: DanW and jdforever

·
Registered
659 Posts
That's funny you say that! I grew up on a farm and started driving tractor at about 7 years old. Pulling the feeder wagon in from the pasture with an Oliver 1650!

And ballast is first on the list as I've been watching the tractor time with Tim episodes a fair bit, I think I'm going to go with a heavy hitch attached to the HF quick hitch vs the ballast box. My land is pretty flat but I will be down in the ditch a fair bit.

Does everyone remove ballast when they're mowing? We'll have pretty sturdy clay but I don't really want to pack it down any worse than it already is.
I don't know about everyone, but I don't think that you should subject the mower deck to any more weight than necessary. If nothing else at one time or another you are going to forget to drop the deck so it is resting on the ground and try to roll over it to attach it, and bend the castors/brackets. The FEL are easy to take off and don't take long to remount, and although I don't have one, I hear that the Quick Hitch makes putting the ballast pretty quick too. BTW congrats on your new tractor, you are going to wonder why you waited so long to get one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a really good point. The plates on the deck sure don't look tremendously heavy. Granted you're not parking on it, but taking the loader off probably wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

It was an Oliver 1600 for me! 4 bottom pipe plow. I need to get some pictures of it. My cousin still has it. In the family since it was new in 1963.

Removing ballast when mowing is a good idea, yes.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
That's a really good point. The plates on the deck sure don't look tremendously heavy. Granted you're not parking on it, but taking the loader off probably wouldn't hurt either.
Oh, you'd be surprised how stout those brackets are. They don't even flinch when you drive onto them. Granted, I'd never try to back the tractor onto the deck (due to likelihood of damaging something expensive) I'd lay money down that those brackets would support the weight of the rear of the tractor, which is heavier than the front. The Load n Go brackets are just as strong, if not stronger.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was an Oliver 1600 for me! 4 bottom pipe plow. I need to get some pictures of it. My cousin still has it. In the family since it was new in 1963.

Removing ballast when mowing is a good idea, yes.
To Bolson32 and Tim,

Well Hi there Tim! I'm glad to have a chance to say "thank you" for your help. I'm one of the silent masses that have benefitted from your patient teaching.

I am new to GTT and don't know how to post a photo but my Dad's Oliver still sits by the barn...and still works....just needs a new key ignition switch. I won't sell it... I guess I just like it being out there.

I am about to buy a 4066r. I guess I got my eyes opened with the 1025r and it is great for so many things around here... but I did enough with it to realize it's limitations... mainly power for bigger implements. I thought to myself... "If I can drive this ...maybe I can drive a bigger one ... if it is just a larger version of the 1025r... so I'm going to have the smallest compact and soon the biggest compact. Who knew? All this started just last summer. Yes, I need my head examined. But don't wake me up just yet...I'm having too much fun! :greentractorride:

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't know about everyone, but I don't think that you should subject the mower deck to any more weight than necessary. If nothing else at one time or another you are going to forget to drop the deck so it is resting on the ground and try to roll over it to attach it, and bend the castors/brackets. The FEL are easy to take off and don't take long to remount, and although I don't have one, I hear that the Quick Hitch makes putting the ballast pretty quick too. BTW congrats on your new tractor, you are going to wonder why you waited so long to get one.
Something else, a lot of the trees around our property have scars on them from the FEL not being taken off the first couple of times I mowed with it. It does make a difference if you have trees to go around.......

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
I would also strongly suggest carefully thinking through the rear snow blower and the FEL for snow duties. Granted, it depends where you live and how much snow you have to deal with......

I can tell you I have a permanently installed rear view camera and there is no way I would want to blow snow with the 3 point hitch mounted blower. It's slow, its sitting sideways on the seat unless you were born with an Eagles neck.........

Also, don't get a ballast box, but opt for suitcase weights which you can use in a number of other ways as you need them. Add them to the Box Blade, add them to the Core Aerator for deeper aeration, add them for snow removal, remove them easily when you don't need them, vary the amount you need to meet the task at hand.....A ballast box is a one trick pony on a very versatile machine which has many tricks and needs varying amounts of ballast for most of them. My rear ballast ranges from 300 pounds to nearly 800 pounds........800 pounds is used on ice for traction.

Also, I have plowed a LOT of snow with the 1 series machine, so I have experience in this area, to the tune of 1,000 driveways a season on average. So before you spend the money, make sure it's the route you really want to go to best meet your needs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The rear ballast I guess is up to personal preference. I had the need for a box blade which most tractor owners do and it serves two purposes in that regard. It is a functional piece of equipment as well as acts as a counterweight ie. a ballast. But to each their own my friend.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts

I always remove the ballast box from my 2032r tractor anytime the loader is not on:thumbup1gif: I take the loader off for mowing because I can get closer to things and don't want the extra weight for mowing

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I would also strongly suggest carefully thinking through the rear snow blower and the FEL for snow duties. Granted, it depends where you live and how much snow you have to deal with.

Also, I have plowed a LOT of snow with the 1 series machine, so I have experience in this area, to the tune of 1,000 driveways a season on average. So before you spend the money, make sure it's the route you really want to go to best meet your needs.
Interesting, this is great feedback. I live in Minnesota so we get a crap ton of snow. What is your setup like? Do you have a front snowblower or do you use a plow?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can tell you I have a permanently installed rear view camera and there is no way I would want to blow snow with the 3 point hitch mounted blower. It's slow, its sitting sideways on the seat unless you were born with an Eagles neck.........

Also, don't get a ballast box, but opt for suitcase weights which you can use in a number of other ways as you need them. Add them to the Box Blade, add them to the Core Aerator for deeper aeration, add them for snow removal, remove them easily when you don't need them, vary the amount you need to meet the task at hand.....A ballast box is a one trick pony on a very versatile machine which has many tricks and needs varying amounts of ballast for most of them. My rear ballast ranges from 300 pounds to nearly 800 pounds........800 pounds is used on ice for traction.
I agree with "SullyBear". The weights are a better way to go for ballast. I'm new here and I didn't have Sullybear to advise me when I got my tractor last summer. :mocking: I just meant you need to pay attention to ballast. I didn't even know about that because I had never used a front end loader before. It is ALL new to me.

SullyBear...I am trying to get a backup camera setup for my new cab 4066r when I get it. Have you talked about your setup anywhere on GTT? that you could point me to?

·
Registered
57 Posts
To Bolson32 and Tim,

Well Hi there Tim! I'm glad to have a chance to say "thank you" for your help. I'm one of the silent masses that have benefitted from your patient teaching.

I am new to GTT and don't know how to post a photo but my Dad's Oliver still sits by the barn...and still works....just needs a new key ignition switch. I won't sell it... I guess I just like it being out there.

Yes, I need my head examined. But don't wake me up just yet...I'm having too much fun! :greentractorride:
I am going to see if I can post a picture. Oliver 1250.jpg Wow I guess I did it!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I always remove the ballast box from my 2032r tractor anytime the loader is not on:thumbup1gif: I take the loader off for mowing because I can get closer to things and don't want the extra weight for mowing
I don't mow with my 1023E, so not applicable to my situation, but I only attach my ballast box selectively...when I'm carrying heavy stuff on the FEL....logs, dirt, sand in the bucket, or heavy stuff with the forks. I had to load some stumps this weekend. With an iMatch or similar quick-hitch, attaching or detaching the ballast box takes only the time necessary to drive to it.

These stumps with their associated dirt have to run 600 lbs. It's a dicey ride across the yard without ballast, but most of the other stuff in my current project doesn't need ballast and the yard is soft enough after the rain that I don't to carry that weight if it's not necessary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts