Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official. Juno dropped 34" of snow in Littleton, MA. Drifts in low lying area of my property over 5' deep! I went out a few times during the storm to keep it in check. The John Deere equipment performed admirably and not only handled the mess at my place but the adjacent neighbors as well.

:thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
I got 33" with a couple of 8' drifts in the yard. I gotta get rid of those slopes! Every time it snows I end up with huge drifts in the back yard.

Other than a minor quirk with the fuel gauge acting up (probably my own fault for over-filling it!) and my rear work light dying on me, the tractor worked as well as could be expected. Having the plow on the loader arms allowed me stack it nice and high. I went back out this afternoon and pushed all the banks back a bit so that I have someplace to push snow if we get another storm.

As well and the machine did, I think I convinced the girl that a snowblower is a necessity. Hopefully I'll find something I like by next fall.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got 33" with a couple of 8' drifts in the yard. I gotta get rid of those slopes! Every time it snows I end up with huge drifts in the back yard.

Other than a minor quirk with the fuel gauge acting up (probably my own fault for over-filling it!) and my rear work light dying on me, the tractor worked as well as could be expected. Having the plow on the loader arms allowed me stack it nice and high. I went back out this afternoon and pushed all the banks back a bit so that I have someplace to push snow if we get another storm.

As well and the machine did, I think I convinced the girl that a snowblower is a necessity. Hopefully I'll find something I like by next fall.
I can only imagine how much snow that 47 SB gobbled up yesterday. Was throwing the stuff 60-75'. BTW, the steel impeller swap was definitely an improvement! My next door neighbor has a funky driveway leading to their two-car garage. Three cars parked outside and buried in drifts. Was able to get in and clear them out to the point that very little shoveling was necessary. Another neighbor has ~ 300' straight shot and I make it a point to take good care of him. He shows his appreciation with good wine & cigars!! Then there's my ~ 850' driveway that goes down a hill from the house, around a corner and then up a steep grade!

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts
Sound like me , need to help the neighbors. Plus with that large amount of snow - folks would be out all day shoveling a small drive where it takes matter of minutes to do the same area with a blower or even a fel or front blade.
About 5 yrs ago we was getting 15-32" seemed like every day . That winter I put over 110 hrs and used close to 90 gal of diesel helping the neighbors.
But the payoff was all the THANKS, home made candy, cookies, still get butchered hamburg, Tbone , roast , and just about everything else.

Plus get to brag on the JD and the way it performs.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Well, I got 5". But, it's not what you got, but how you use it! :laugh:

I was going to push all the snow on the entire 1/2 acre into one pile after seeing Prosper's and the New England vids on TV. Wifey talked me out of it! :yahoo::greentractorride:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Storm name.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
We got just about 30" in my neck of the woods, So. NH (Sandown). Two trips to cleanup 1200 sq ft of driveway and about 600 feet of pathway to the wood pile. Only have the loader and back blade, but it worked well. Would love to have a front or rear snowblower, but these "snowmagedons" only come around once in a while.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
We got just about 30" in my neck of the woods, So. NH (Sandown). Two trips to cleanup 1200 sq ft of driveway and about 600 feet of pathway to the wood pile. Only have the loader and back blade, but it worked well. Would love to have a front or rear snowblower, but these "snowmagedons" only come around once in a while.
FEL and back blade are my combination to removing snow. That works really good for me since my driveway is only ~200' long with concrete and rock. No chains needed with R4 tires since all of my driveway is flat, but it could get slicky if it was just ice. Last winter was bad, not so much this winter.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Huh - when did they start naming storms other than hurricanes? First I've heard of this.......
To further induce fear in the population and to add to the suspense of reporting the "news"

I think Slightly Gusty with Mist Low Pressure System Juan just passed through about an hour ago.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
To further induce fear in the population and to add to the suspense of reporting the "news"

I think Slightly Gusty with Mist Low Pressure System Juan just passed through about an hour ago.
I got to wondering if this was something instituted by NOAA or not - thought maybe it was started by a TV station or other media to help hype their ratings....???

Edit to add: Ahh - I see now. This naming thing was started by the Weather Channel. I never watch that so that is why I was at a loss with this naming thing. According to the article I just read NOAA does not acknowledge TWC's naming convention. AccuWeather disagrees with this also I learned - that is where I get most of my weather info.

Winter storm naming in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Huh - when did they start naming storms other than hurricanes? First I've heard of this.......
I got to wondering if this was something instituted by NOAA or not - thought maybe it was started by a TV station or other media to help hype their ratings....???

Edit to add: Ahh - I see now. This naming thing was started by the Weather Channel. I never watch that so that is why I was at a loss with this naming thing. According to the article I just read NOAA does not acknowledge TWC's naming convention. AccuWeather disagrees with this also I learned - that is where I get most of my weather info.

Winter storm naming in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You gotta remember that "D'Weather Chanel" was taken over by them oh so hip slicks at NBC. Once they got NBC network totally screwed up they worked their magic on a perfectly decent weather channel. Now I only look at it for the "weather babes" and get all my weather off the net... :laugh:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
About 16", really light, did it all in one shot...was alot of fun except the one time going into the wind.....

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
You gotta remember that "D'Weather Chanel" was taken over by them oh so hip slicks at NBC. Once they got NBC network totally screwed up they worked their magic on a perfectly decent weather channel. Now I only look at it for the "weather babes" and get all my weather off the net... :laugh:
Harold, Yep Those liberal yonkos have made a mess of it. no more weather on the 8s when it is important.... I tend to watch Weather World from Penn State. They are pretty good. But it seems that everyone is so caught up in using computers to predict the weather, they have lost the seat of their pants know how. They stink.... I wish I could have a job, be wrong 90 percent of the time and make 6 figures.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts