Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one of the smaller stumps I've removed from my property. These's oaks are quite heavy but the Deere comes threw with flying color's. My grapple certainly has paid for itself.

Matt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Great day in the morning! Good job :thumbup1gif:.

I've got grapple envy now...

Pete

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Pete if I wasn't so pressed for time over the last few years I'd have pics of even larger stumps(oak) that I've pulled. I had a three tree stump that netted over 3k on the scales. That one was a bit much for the machine but I was able to set one side of it on the trailer while tilted and then walk it in the rest of the way. My wife always says I should take more pics. I told her" while your sitting there watching fell free to snap away". Didn't go over too well, but I'm know for speaking before thinking lol.

Matt

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Nice Matt! What do you do with them? Luckily my neighbor has a HUGE bonfire every year in October so It's easy for me to get rid of stuff like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haul them to recycling a recycling outfit that produces mulch. I have to chuckle since I usually haul in stumps at $8 a ton then have them load my trailer with 10yds of mulch @ $22 per yard. But with all the awesome equipment they have I certainly understand the cost. It's no really easy to get ride of stumps in my area.

Matt

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
WOW! That is some stump. So how long does it take you to dig one them beasts out? I bet that Deere helps to make short work of it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That guy took about 1.5 hrs, and I don't leave the seat of the 448. I've learned the hard way about the right technicques for removal of the monsters. It's all about finess and leverage, not brute force. It always amazes me how many rocks are in the root ball. Most of the time that's where the weight is.

Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any tips on technique?

Having paid my dues with shovel, axe and a truck I wondered how you use grapple? Dont you need cutting action for some of the main roots? I have a 2520 now, but considered 3x's for the fact of more uses with FEL. Can you get the job done with forks and a thumb? I spend a lot of time in the woods and I am very effecient with hand tools, more so than how to use my tractor effectively. I would really appreciate any response on this subject :unknown: :unknown:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
That's a whole lot of stump for a compact. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that's two oaks from on large stump. As I said this is one of the smaller one's I've removed, most of the other's were triples. To put it in perspective I use my 448 hoe to dig around the stump about 2' deep. This way I've severed all the large roots(this one had root's 6" in diameter). I've kicked around adding a ripper for the roots since that's the most time consuming part. After the roots I usually rock the stump back and forth with the hoe.

At this point I usually flip the stump over in the hole. I use the how further to remove the rocks and dirt in the root ball. This is where 75% of the weight of these monsters is. I've found a few with massive rocks in the root ball. After that I flip it right side up and grab it with the grapple. From there I load it into my dump trailer. I ended up cutting the remaining wood (about 3') off the top before loading this since I give the wood to my friend to burn. I'm in the process of adding a Deere thumb from the 485 to my 448. The hoe's are the same other than the hole in the dipper for the pin that hold the thumbs arm.

I'm actully going to use the arm and weld mounts from a Woods Ground breaker hoe. I've been picking up parts as $$ allow. I'll be sure to post pics as I go. I think that the thumb will really help with stumps as far as breaking up roots.

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts