Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fate played its hand and my sears lawn tractor threw a rod.... i only changed the iol maybe 15 hours ago too.....but I bought it used in the spring...I use it about 6 hours a weekend at least, more when i was thatching the yard..i went through three belts...I had to cut out all the junky blade barakes.... they were useless...and there was a niose in the rear when i leaned over in a sharp trun....so instead of just buying a $600 B&S replacement engine...I looked for a new tractor...i just bought this house in dec and I am cutting about 6 acres of grass!!

i went to LOWES and they had a demo-repaired sale going on...This JD D170 had 2 hours on it....it just would not go one time when it was started...the dealer fixed it...and the owner got a new tractor... this one went on discount....$2800 normnall...I paid $1900... and I get the full bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years..

54 " cut....that should cut down the grass cutting time..it is so quiet and it has a 25 hp engine.. i dont plan to plow snow haul dirt, JUST cut grass( i have a JD 750 compact tractor for heavy work.)

so I didnt think I needed a Premium( read $4000 + tractor)...

i have 6.5 hours on it in one day already!!

lets hope i keep my smile for a while

bob

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Sounds like a good deal :thumbup1gif: Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Congrats, sounds like a good deal:thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
4,966 Posts
I have the D160 , one model down from your's and it works fine for mowing. Initially I tried to use it a couple of times for hauling dirt in a 10 cu. ft. cart and pulling a couple of small shrubs but it really just didn't cut it for me with that sort of work. You got a good deal and that thing will eat up a lot of lawn pretty quickly. Plus, it's fun to drive around. :good2:

·
Registered
200 Posts
A lot of people seems to frown on the 100 series, but mine is 1 step down with the 23" rears, 48" deck, K46 TT hydro, and 25HP (more like 20 LOL). Rides nice, its paid for, I just stripped the green deck off and repainted it, looks new. The factory powdercoat flaked on all and any edges. I had it tarped and covered for a couple of years and it trapped a lot of moisture. I also didn't (now do) blow all the grass clippings out after mowing.
Just picked up a snowblower last year and that thing blows, loaded the tires with WW fluid, chains, and suitcase weights and it handled the 14" wet April snow just fine. End of the season I added a winch to raise and lower the blower.

400 hours in 7 years, move thousands and thousands of pounds of firewood, shingles, dirt, in my cart

Take care of 2 properties and sometime the neighbors, too.

Replace the hydro fluid with a nice 0w50 synthetic ASAP and every 200 hours and you'll be fine.

Too bad I had to give it to the wife so I could get my new toy.

:good2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts