Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my neighbor wanted to buy my x739 from me and so I was on the hunt for a zero turn with bagger to hang onto for the season. Of course, I'll list it for sale, but I've never had a 997 and want to "play" around with it for awhile. This particular unit is a 2013 with 258 hours on it, 60" 7-Iron Deck, and a dump-from-the-seat material collection system. Already did a little spring clean up with it. All I can say is what a tank!

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,313 Posts
The ultimate green mowing machine!

I came very close to buying one last week. Just - can’t - justify - it for 3 acres and 7 months of mowing......but I still want one.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,972 Posts
It be a grass cutting beast!! :good2::good2:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,972 Posts
Only mower to have if you are serious about cutting grass we have 4 997s running daily now too bad John Deere has priced their selves out of the commercial game on these mowers we buy just about every used one we run across that's worth the money
I was surprised at the newer 997R's, when they first came out think Ma Deere bumped them up by 3 - 4 grand. :banghead:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread is killing me - but I just can’t look away.......
I did a little spring clean up with her today. So smooth. Climbs the hill in my front yard without even noticing.

I removed the material collection system -- super easy by the way, done in 3-4 minutes -- and realized I forgot to grab the deflector when I picked up the mower! Gonna have them mail it to me. Looks like a new one is $150 from JD.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Those "Jolly Green Giants" paint is very good if you keep it washed and waxed. However, the Black/Brown plastic items on those mower show their age very early. That is, if you don't know how to make them look like new all the time. John Deere plastic faded very easy and quick....like in one year is the sun they look horrible.

But, I found a solution to keep the plastic like and new and shinny.
Here's how I do it.
1. Buy a can Black Enamel and take a section of old cotton towel and spray the paint on the towel and wipe the paint on the plastic parts. It coats the plastic and will not fade or wash off.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,972 Posts

·
Registered
23,313 Posts
It's a plot Stan, a plot I tell ya. :laugh:
Boy....I’ll tell ya...I haven’t been like this since I bought my truck. And the one I was looking at is still there and only 75 miles away.

Then I see this one - yeah - it’s a plot - or an omen....

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
Boy....I’ll tell ya...I haven’t been like this since I bought my truck. And the one I was looking at is still there and only 75 miles away.

:unknown:the offer still stands coaltrain-u buy it-and i'll come haul it home for ya. :good2: at least ur roads up there are nice and dry right now.:munch:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,972 Posts
:unknown:the offer still stands coaltrain-u buy it-and i'll come haul it home for ya. :good2: at least ur roads up there are nice and dry right now.:munch:
Watch out Stan, the plot thickens. :laugh:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

How much is the one by you and year, hours, deck, etc? I've got freight haulers that probably pass by your Interstate exit every week :lol:

·
Registered
23,313 Posts
How much is the one by you and year, hours, deck, etc? I've got freight haulers that probably pass by your Interstate exit every week :lol:
This one is at my closest dealer which is 75 miles away but a 3 hour round trip. If I went for it I would demand they deliver it. It’s not my fault that mother Deere decided to shut down my local dealer.

The one I am looking at is a 2012 with 1729 hours listed for $10,500.

I normally wouldn’t post a link here as someone could buy it out from under me but it doesn’t matter - can’t afford something like like for another 16 months. What is getting at me is if/when I decide to go for something like this there won’t be one in such nice shape within driving distance.

2012 John Deere 997 - Zero-Turn Mowers - Centre Hall, PA

·
Registered
700 Posts
A diesel?

That's personal choice, but the option is there. Remember, we're mowing grass here, not lifting heavy loads or pulling tilling disks.

I love "green" as much as the next guy on these forums, but the general consensus about Deere ZT's with commercial guys is A) underpowered, and B) overpriced.

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
C) No suspension.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts