Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as the title says I have bought a new 1025R TLB and it will be delivered today after work. Now I need to figure out where I'm going to store the thing. I can probably clear enough room in the garage to temporarily store it there but ultimately I need the garage space. That said I've been looking at TSC's ShelterLogic Landowner series. Does anyone have experience with this particular model? I know you can buy higher end models for a little more money but I am only looking at needing this for a year or two at most - by then I better have a real barn. As long as it holds up while I build a pole barn, I'll reuse the frame as a greenhouse in the garden.

I have also considered just building a free standing lean-to (maybe 16'L x 12'W x 8-10'T ?). If I go the lean-to route I will likely either build this back in my woods or against the side of my garage - either way there shouldn't be enough wind to drive water onto the equipment in the average rain storm. If anyone has a 1-series TLB can you confirm that those dimensions seem logical? I figure that should provide enough space for me to drop the FEL and BH at the front, side by side, and have the tractor behind them.

Part of me is leaning toward the lean-to b/c I think I could build it for approximately the same cost as the TSC shelter and it won't really ever wear out. Once I have a barn the lean-to could either be used for livestock in its current location or disassembled and relocated next to the barn.

Recent thought - while writing this I got to thinking; if I use it for livestock should I build a two-bay style lean-to instead. Tractor in one bay and FEL & BH in the other. Of course this would require me to drop the attachments any time I need to put the whole thing away. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
In my experience, the ShelterLogic temp sheds work fine as long as you anchor them down and don't allow snow to build up on them. The latter probably ins't a big issue for you but anchoring is absolutely required. If a strong wind gets under an edge of one of those things they take off like a kite. The last one I had, I used the anchors that you screw into the ground and two cinder blocks on each corner. Even with that, it tried to take off a couple of times.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have 2 sheds like this for my tractor and accessories to fit in. You will have to fold the ROPS down to get it in and then still might have to help it through the opening a little with your hand holding up the roll up door. I would order from the factory and get the heavier duty cover. There are 3 grade levels of skin to fit over the frame. If you are going to have it a long time with sun and wind exposure go heavier duty. Also use twist in 12-16 inch ground anchor screws ( find them at Home Depot or Lowes) and ratchet straps to anchor it to the ground so the wind dose not shift it or blow it away. The cable anchors that come with the kit if not the heavy duty 3/16 cables and ground anchors will rot and tear away. Do I speak from experience.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
447 Posts
In our area you can put these shelters up without permits where as the metal car port you would have to file a permit for as you would pour a cement footing to anchor it to the ground usually. Go figure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
In our area you can put these shelters up without permits where as the metal car port you would have to file a permit for as you would pour a cement footing to anchor it to the ground usually. Go figure.
I don't actually live in Apex - it is just the nearest city. I live in Chatham County and I believe they have an exemption for agricultural storage/livestock buildings. As long as there's no power and you keep it below a certain footprint I don't believe you need permits.

You may have a similar situation - assuming you don't live in the city limits.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Permit? What's that?
Lol

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
I was never a fan of those free standing carport/shelters - seen too many crushed from snow load.

I like the idea of a lean-to as long as it is attached to another building. Like you say after you have a proper barn it can be used for all kinds of other storage (ie; firewood). Or if built properly it wouldn't be hard at all to remove and reuse the building materials.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should probably point out that snow load isn't really a concern in my area. We have yet to really see that white stuff this winter - just a dusting one morning.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
:congrats: on the new Deere.

The tractor tent is temporary, a stick or pole structure is permanent for considerably more years. I quickly went the tent route back in December after a year+ of tarps and couldn't be more pleased. I placed a few layers of 6 mil poly down first then put up the structure. Bolted each side to a double plate of PT 2" x 6"s that I had, and then added concrete blocks on the plates and lights, which will remove any light snow we may happen to get. Just went thru a 30-40mph :raindance: storm(s) with no issues.

I posted these two in the Forum: Barns & Buildings
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/barns-buildings/17151-sub-compact-utility-tractor-green-tractor-tent.html
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/barns-buildings/17437-recycled-tire-mats.html

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you're considering a lean to.. It is an inexpensive and relatively simple process.. I did the same thing this year and attached one to a shed I have at the back of my property.. Its 16ft by 30ft and has been a life save this winter.. The tractor and my quad go in the shed which is insulated and heated, but I have keep my trailer and a few other things under the lean to now and its fantastic.. Here's a few pics of before and during the process to see what I started with and pretty well where I ended up.. For whatever reason, I didn't take any pics of the lean to after I put the steel on.. I'll have to get around to doing that to show the final result.. All in, this project cost me $1000..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shoot, if that's what a 1 series looks like in a 30'x16' I could probably easily fit everything into a 16'x10'. I may just make a free standing lean-to next to the garage.. I don't particularly like the idea of storing the tractor far from the house anyway.

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
Since it seems we are in brainstorming mode here - thought I would add this -

Our house is along a nice little river. When we bought it there was no back porch or deck to sit and view the water, so we decided to build a pavilion. We used it a lot in our younger days but not so much now - hauling food and stuff down there got to be a pain. A few years ago we build a nice deck on the back of the house which works great now.

I am lucky to have a nice barn that is 20' x 60' where we park our vehicles and has enough room for a separate shop that I insulated. In the summer I keep my tractor in the pavilion now since I use it a lot. Plus I'm starting to keep my implements in there for easy access but out of the worst of the weather. So I am kind of doing the opposite of you - the pavilion started out as a sitting/eating/drinking place and now has turned more into a tractor/implement shed.

My point in all this? Maybe think about putting up something in a pavilion style instead of lean-to flat roof style. Maybe a pavilion in the future might me a nice place to sit on those hot summer evenings and cook out. It wasn't very costly as my father-in-law engineered and built the trusses. It went up very easily including the metal roof - 3 of us did the whole thing in ~8 hours.

IMGP1289.JPG

·
Registered
109 Posts

Our house is along a nice little river. When we bought it there was no back porch or deck to sit and view the water, so we decided to build a pavilion. We used it a lot in our younger days but not so much now - hauling food and stuff down there got to be a pain. A few years ago we build a nice deck on the back of the house which works great now.

I am lucky to have a nice barn that is 20' x 60' where we park our vehicles and has enough room for a separate shop that I insulated. In the summer I keep my tractor in the pavilion now since I use it a lot. Plus I'm starting to keep my implements in there for easy access but out of the worst of the weather. So I am kind of doing the opposite of you - the pavilion started out as a sitting/eating/drinking place and now has turned more into a tractor/implement shed.

My point in all this? Maybe think about putting up something in a pavilion style instead of lean-to flat roof style. Maybe a pavilion in the future might me a nice place to sit on those hot summer evenings and cook out. It wasn't very costly as my father-in-law engineered and built the trusses. It went up very easily including the metal roof - 3 of us did the whole thing in ~8 hours.

View attachment 40133
Coaltrain,
I really like your pavilion. I want to build something like it for the tractor and firewood. Do you have any more photos? Sound like a fun project.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

View attachment 40133
Hmm.. I do have a pond on the property that could use something like this. The only drawback is the location - between the house and the road.

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
Coaltrain,
I really like your pavilion. I want to build something like it for the tractor and firewood. Do you have any more photos? Sound like a fun project.

Thanks
Matt
I'll have to take some photos for you - next time I venture out. I do keep a path plowed to it so easy to get to. When we built it was before we had a digital camera - just film at that time and the pics are buried somewhere......

I'll get some pics of the trusses and important parts with some dimensions. Might be a few day until after the arctic air subsides a bit......

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
In desperate need of some storage space one late fall, I sprung for a $1300 Shelter Logic. It is a real piece of garbage so i can only imagine what a $300 version will get you.

I got the optional barb style anchors and drove them in with a jackhammer. Once it was raised, I saw that the top would need extra support for snow load so added that, and added cross ties for frame stiffness. It's been up for 3 or 4 years now, still in good shape. But without those additions, it would likely have been long gone.

The frame tubing is anemic. The hardware is putridly soft rubbish steel. Cheap Cheap Cheap.

Plus, it's an eyesore In the yard.

Don't shame that nice new tractor. If you can, BUILD. :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you need temporary shelter then I would recommend getting a 10x20 carport from Harbor Freight. They are cheaply made but will hold up while you make something better. I'm using one now - it's okay, no need to fold the ROPS. I can't see spending twice as much (or more) on another brand of canopy that is nearly identical. Expect it to last about two years providing you anchor it. Much less if you don't. Any more than a dusting of snow will need to be removed ASAP.

Harbor Freight used to carry a much better 10x20 canopy. It took 4"+ of wet snow to destroy it. A few months ago when I went to get another one I was deeply disappointed that they were no longer available. The one they have now is less in every way, but sufficient for temporary structure.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts