Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new here and I need some insight; I recently purchased a jd2305 and I can't get it to run for more then a few minutes. It doesn't matter whether the deck is engaged or not, or if it is even in gear -the tractor will run properly until it drops power, starts to shake and finally stalls out; usually within about 10 seconds after it starts to shake. During these episodes the throttle position has no effect on the engine and it usually is very rough to start immediately after. After it works itself out it runs properly for a few minutes until it happens again. I have gone from the tank all the way to the fuel transfer pump and found all lines to be clear, there was a small amount of water in the fuel tank and also traces of brown, muddy looking stuff in the bottom of the tank. The fuel shutoff solenoid is working properly and all vent lines are clear and operating properly. The point i am at now is to once again look at the fuel transfer pump to see how it performs during cranking in the midst of one of these stalling episodes by pulling the output line and looking for fuel flow. Any help or direction that anyone could provide on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
18,978 Posts
:wgtt:

Is the fuel bowl empty when it stalls?
Have you checked/cleaned the vent in the fuel cap?
Have you tried to loosen the cap when it starts to sputter?

Reactions: wpa2305

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello,
I am new here and I need some insight; I recently purchased a jd2305 and I can't get it to run for more then a few minutes. It doesn't matter whether the deck is engaged or not, or if it is even in gear -the tractor will run properly until it drops power, starts to shake and finally stalls out; usually within about 10 seconds after it starts to shake. During these episodes the throttle position has no effect on the engine and it usually is very rough to start immediately after. After it works itself out it runs properly for a few minutes until it happens again. I have gone from the tank all the way to the fuel transfer pump and found all lines to be clear, there was a small amount of water in the fuel tank and also traces of brown, muddy looking stuff in the bottom of the tank. The fuel shutoff solenoid is working properly and all vent lines are clear and operating properly. The point i am at now is to once again look at the fuel transfer pump to see how it performs during cranking in the midst of one of these stalling episodes by pulling the output line and looking for fuel flow. Any help or direction that anyone could provide on this would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds awfully much like my 1026R when first delivered... which the JD dealer claimed was a fuel pump problem. Replaced the pump... and it ran fine for about 50 hours (first happened just like you describe) at about 6-hours. Then, one day it started doing it again (this time when it was about 20 degrees and I was out in the snow with the blade). It would sputter, lose power, run, ... and, then stop, or nearly stop. Let it sit for awhile... it would start and run just fine again.

Dealer took it in the second time... ran 2-3 tanks of fuel through it.. changed fuel filter, etc. Now, it seems fine... have 120 hours on it...without any incident the last 40-hours. Best guess: Plastic shavings in bottom of tank (at least that was Dealer theory...the service manager noting it had happened in some of their larger, farm-size tractors).

Reminds me of the mystery problem in my Dad's brand new 1976 Ford pickup... it would run just fine... then, after some unpredictable time... all of a sudden, start to sputter and stop... turns out, after many forays back to the Ford dealer.. found a piece of masking tape in the fuel tank!! ...from the factory...

Not sure this helps... but, could be this same kind of problem..

·
Administrator
18,978 Posts
In a PM received at TBN wpa2305 also included this info:

The only other oddity is that the engine oil is high on the dipstick.
That is potentially BAD news. You need to determine if is overfull from diesel fuel (which I suspect it is) or hydraulic fluid.

If it's indeed diesel, then it could be a bad injector, or worse a bad injection pump. I suspect you get the FSM if you are going to attempt this repair yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply, I apparently don't have any notification set up for replies tom my post through my email;
-The fuel bowl remains full when it stalls
-The vent in the fuel cap was apparently modified by the dealer (looks like someone took a razorknife to the bottom of in an attempt to make the vent hole larger?) the original owner has no idea about this though, and the tractor was in the shop in 2007 due to a stink bug caught in the line from the tank.
-I have had the cap loos during regular operation and it still stalls.
-All fuel line connections look good, went through everything up to the injector pump, the only line that may have issue is lift pump to injector pump but the outer covering of the tube is just flaky and cracking- I will replace it as soon as I can get some new line.
-Fuel filter is new this season, got another new one today and will replace after I drain the fuel and clean the tank.
-Upon first drain out and inspection of the tank I noticed small traces of brown muddy looking stuff in the bottom of the tank, this will be taken care of when I can get the tank out and clean it.

I had a reply on MTF last night that pointed to the possibility that the lift / transfer pump may be failing internally and allowing diesel to make its way into the oil and in turn introducing air into the injector pump.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions; I am going to have a big party when I can finally cut my grass with this tractor and you are all invited!

·
Registered
132 Posts
You said the one hose was flakey on the outside. I wonder if that could be part of the problem as well on the inside, or if the hose is collapsing somewhere along the way. I have seen this on my Ditchwitch where a hose was very brittle and would collapse instead of pull fluid through the line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That hose is soon to go; I changed the engine oil and filter today- now filled to its correct level(hopefully it doesn't get higher); Tomorrow I will get into the fuel tank cleaning (kero wash; don't really have time to remove and steam clean right now), new fuel and filter and change out that piece of hose that is looking worn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:yahoo::dance::yahoo: Tank cleaned out, New fuel filter, a little lucas fuel treatment, and some brand spankin new diesel and we're running like a Deere again!!!! :yahoo::good2::yahoo: Thanks again to all that replied:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Now that is some good news. Very glad to hear you got it working. :good2:

·
Administrator
21,181 Posts
Make sure to keep checking the engine oil level. I don't want to be a wet blanket but there could still be an issue. :hi:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dieselshadow,
Thanks for the tip, that will be on my mind for a good while; I am pretty meticulous about maintenance so I will keep after it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts