Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I bought a used JD 606 6' rotary cutter from an old man who has just had it sitting for fifteen years. It's mechanically sound, well greased, and everything works smooth. However, it sure as heck seems to turn slow. The clutch is good and with the tractor humming you can watch the blade go around and pretty much count the swings. It's almost like it is geared crazy low, but it has the factory decal on it from JD that says it's for a 540 PTO. I know it's not the tractor, it spins my finish mower just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'd put some witness marks on the different connections like the clutch fore and aft sections and any other connections in the drive portion of the unit, run it and see if the witness marks are still lined up.

Does the clutch connect to the gear box with a bolt or is it on a spline. Bolt could be broken if connected with a bolt and the only thing making the blades turn is the friction between the affected coupling point.(I've seen bolts break off in the center but the outer parts still stay in the holes due to corrosion holding those pieces in place)

By the way, I know nothing about the rotary cutter you speak of but the above is my thinking of what could be wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to agree. I would suspect that either the clutch spring bolts are loose, hence the plates are slipping or there is a broken shear pin/bolt.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I agree with the others, sounds like something is loose on the drive line

1 - 5 of 5 Posts