Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the stump grinder is badly needed by me, but our gimbal ratchet fiend wanted proof. Here ya go!

Here's the hub from the gear box output and the flange I made out of a 6x.75" plasma drop I got at the steel yard.

Then welded them together so they'd pull tension:

Need to weld this side now, and then go back and do a couple more passes on the back. Then it'll be time to turn a mandrel and true everything up and start working on the bolt pattern and wheel.

I broke both my boring bars a while back and haven't replaced them, so I've been using my super spacer (like a rotary table with a chuck) on the mill. It's really slow, but that thing's good for .0002 TIR at 4" from center so it's better than my lathe at some diameters.

More metal is needed for the frame, so that'll be tomorrow's mission.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since this thing is really hot now, and I'm tired. I'm calling it a night.

Did the top weld:

Then did the second pass on the back:

And the third:

Then there's the 83hp gearbox the hub goes on (this thing is freaking HUGE) with it's 8000in-lb slip clutch for perspective:

And the hydraulics stuff on my new-to-me air ride seat for Big Red:

·
Registered
150 Posts
So you are building this completely from scratch?
What will you be using for the grinder blade... Will you have replaceable teeth?
Also, absolutely beautiful welds.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Nice welds. Looks like tig.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 21x3/4" disk I'll be turning into my cutting wheel, and I have 24 greenteeth and appropriate pockets for it.

Yep, tig. :) And thanks!

This isn't completely from scratch, but I'm assembling it from parts. :laugh: "From scratch" to a machinist means making the gear box, making the gears, making the cylinders, etc. I'm not that into cutting metal, even if it is my job. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
Really some nice looking welds and so far looks like a nice job. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Excellent, keep 'em coming. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Excellent fab work. :drinks: Very nice welds. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,069 Posts
Thanks Jim Timber :good2:
I have to add to the "nice weld" comments, especially around a curved/round object. :thumbup1gif:
Cool project.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
This is one to follow for sure. :munch:

Looking good!

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Thanks Jim Timber :good2:
I have to add to the "nice weld" comments, especially around a curved/round object. :thumbup1gif:
Cool project.
You just had to change your avatar didn't you.... Nice. now go to the back of the class..

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Ok, so the stump grinder is badly needed by me, but our gimbal ratchet fiend wanted proof. Here ya go!

Here's the hub from the gear box output and the flange I made out of a 6x.75" plasma drop I got at the steel yard.

Then welded them together so they'd pull tension:

Need to weld this side now, and then go back and do a couple more passes on the back. Then it'll be time to turn a mandrel and true everything up and start working on the bolt pattern and wheel.

I broke both my boring bars a while back and haven't replaced them, so I've been using my super spacer (like a rotary table with a chuck) on the mill. It's really slow, but that thing's good for .0002 TIR at 4" from center so it's better than my lathe at some diameters.

More metal is needed for the frame, so that'll be tomorrow's mission.
I'll repeat what was already stated,, you are very talented Jim... :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
After seeing your welds, I'll NEVER post mine. GREAT job! :good2:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,414 Posts
Nothing but impressed by your work Jim!!
You've got real talent.:good2:

Beats the heck out of someone, who I won't name, that can only run a "Gimbal Ratchet".:lol:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a 15" rotary table that I could've rigged up some slot extensions, and gotten clamps on it, or I could just drill a 5/8" hole and put a bolt in it and clamp that in my super spacer. I'll be doing the same technique to cut the centering hole in the 1/2" plate for the gear box later tonight or more likely tomorrow. My hands aren't liking the round-n-round of the super spacer trepanning (what this process is most closely related to on the lathe), and my neck doesn't like being crunched over at the mill this much either. But I got the hub trued and the disk counter bored, and got more metal earlier, so I did ok for today. The 3pt end of this is going to go together pretty quick once I get the working end done, but I seriously doubt she's gonna be ready to hit the road with me by tomorrow night.

My 4x6 bandsaw blade crapped out on me cutting the mandrel so I'm off to Horrible Freight for a new one with my 20% off coupon. I'm thinking DQ on the way home is sounding good too.

The disk weighs so much it didn't even move when I finished cutting it free from the center plug.

I'll save the hub pics for when it gets the bolt pattern put in it.

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
I have a 15" rotary table that I could've rigged up some slot extensions, and gotten clamps on it, or I could just drill a 5/8" hole and put a bolt in it and clamp that in my super spacer. I'll be doing the same technique to cut the centering hole in the 1/2" plate for the gear box later tonight or more likely tomorrow. My hands aren't liking the round-n-round of the super spacer trepanning (what this process is most closely related to on the lathe), and my neck doesn't like being crunched over at the mill this much either. But I got the hub trued and the disk counter bored, and got more metal earlier, so I did ok for today. The 3pt end of this is going to go together pretty quick once I get the working end done, but I seriously doubt she's gonna be ready to hit the road with me by tomorrow night.

My 4x6 bandsaw blade crapped out on me cutting the mandrel so I'm off to Horrible Freight for a new one with my 20% off coupon. I'm thinking DQ on the way home is sounding good too.

The disk weighs so much it didn't even move when I finished cutting it free from the center plug.

I'll save the hub pics for when it gets the bolt pattern put in it.
Jim Timber the talent you have,, :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb: like others ,I will never show my weld jobs again unless by mistake.
Plus you like DQ,,, have a Blizzard for me.
:laugh:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but those are nice looking welds Jim.:thumbup1gif::lol: What machine do you have? Mine is a Hobart Tigwave 250.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this build.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts