Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 24 foot, 16 K pound trailer. Have to get the winch fabbed and mounted and see what kind of storage box I can get to keep things dry. Also need to build a batter box unless I put it in the storage box.

IMG_1022[1].JPG IMG_1023[1].JPG

·
Registered
13,093 Posts
nice (y)

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts
16K is a lot of trailer! Be sure to check the weight rating of the tires. My 14K trailer came with tires rated for 3042lbs per tire, so 12K for all 4 tires

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very nice!

What is the make and model?

What was your reason for selecting that length, fixed bed vs. tilt bed vs. beaver tail... I'm trying to sort through those questions now to purchase a trailer.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Looks like you need to adjust the hitch a little bit. The front appears to be a little low and after you get a load on it, it will be even lower. A big load is going to require a WD hitch.

Dave

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This trailer is made locally by a guy that's been making them for at least 25 years. I remember when he opened his shop. I was looking at a 10,000 pound, 22 foot and had ordered it before realizing my tractor is 8000 pounds dry. Add loader and/or implement and I would have been way over. 24 foot was his next size up. I didn't want a tilt bed but I did want a dove tail. My JD dealer sells these so I just bought it through them. The price was actually 100 bucks cheaper than buying it from the maker. I paid $6K for it with the spare.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, The ball is on a 4" drop hitch. I'll put a straight on it and may have to raise it a bolt hole. It has an adjustable tongue. I have no plans to put a weight dist hitch on it. I won't be hauling anything that heavy unless I do haul my tractor and that would only be locally.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Do you have another truck? What’s the payload and tow rating of your Tundra. If your tractor is 8000 pounds bare, you get an end loader and some ballast or another implement, the weight of the trailer you are going to be pushing 14,000 pounds.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
11,000 and just under 2000. I didn't get the trailer to necessarily pull my tractor unless it needs to go to my dealer at some point. That's 3 miles away. It will be to move my muscle cars, carry 20 foot long cargo such as lengths of metal and drain pipe and all sorts of other farm duties. But if I do need to move my tractor I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This trailer is made locally by a guy that's been making them for at least 25 years.
Good move. (y)

My employer had bought off-the-lot trailers made who knows where, and the quality of the electrical and paint (esp. the electrical) was just awful. A "get it out the door as cheap as possible" kind of awful.

Eventually we were under them fixing the shortcuts, usually with a crew waiting and lights/brakes that didn't work...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sweet 👍

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
16K is a lot of trailer! Be sure to check the weight rating of the tires. My 14K trailer came with tires rated for 3042lbs per tire, so 12K for all 4 tires
That's 12,168, add in the trailer should be putting ~10% of its load on the tongue (~1400), the rating is only slightly low ~400lbs for trailer max. (not much room for error or comfort, but considering safety margins being built in......)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I would post up some pics of my fabbed up winch during mounting and the toolbox. Some of these are pre-completion and in no specific order but you should get the idea. I needed to build the frame up 7" to get the winch to the exact height I wanted which was just clearing the front cross member. I went to TSC and bought the wireless remote for the winch. Mounted it to the lid of the box so it stays dry and when I need it I can just plug it in.

IMG_1035[1].JPG IMG_1031[1].JPG IMG_1034[1].JPG IMG_1033[2].JPG IMG_1027[1].JPG IMG_1028[1].JPG IMG_1032[1].JPG IMG_1030[1].JPG

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone applied the bedliner material on pressure treated lumber. I want to paint, stain or coat the bed of this thing and I would love to have that bedliner finish but I don't see anywhere on the can that you can use it on wood. I don't see where you can't use it on wood either but if it didn't work you would have a mess.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Looking awesome. I don’t think Bedliner would work well on preasure treated boards. I may be totally wrong but I just envision it pulling up in sheets.

For our equipment haulers at work we use this. Couple time a year you can slather more on after a good pressure washing. We do let it dry before Applying the oil.

APITONG OIL - The Ultimate Exterior Wood Stain to Protect Your Trailer

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info. I may give that a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts